Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ROLL IN SHOWER..

ROLL IN SHOWER..

WHO MAKES THE BEST ROLL IN SHOWER TO REPLACE AN EXISTING BATHTUB?

THANK YOU

JIM

You can get roll-in shower inserts, but they are usually made out of acrylic or fiberglass and may not be as durable (or appropriate for your space). If you can afford it, I would recommend a custom tile job, with special non-slip tiles on the floor area.

(KLD)

Lynnifer, I could not make your link work. Perhaps this one is similar:

Kohler ADA compliant shower inserts

(KLD)

We are in the midst of bathroom modification. I went to Home Depot and they were very helpful in comparing all the different manufacturers and the styles, sizes and prices that are available. They had catalogs of ADA compliant bathroom fixtures from many companies. They also helped with the purchase of the accessories needed, and gave us a brochure about reinforcing for grab bars, etc. I felt like I was making an informed choice ( for a change). I also got a 10% discount for opening a charge account the day I ordered the shower.

Hawknest

Swanstone shower base

I just put in a Swanstone shower base to replace a bath tub and it works well. You can order the drain on the left, right or center.

http://www.swanstone.com/products/showerWallsFloors/

-Greg Jacobs

I have a contractor-built tiled roll-in shower. It's great. But if I had to do it over again I would have a toilet installed in it. Up close to the wall where the showerhead is. That way it's one-stop-shopping so to speak. Saves a potentially dangerous fall in the bathroom when transferring from the commode-wheelchair-shower. Plus there should still room enough to get a showerchair in if preferred. You'd have to measure the size of your shower area to make sure. You may want two toilets in there.... one for AB people and your own personal one in the shower. Or if it's your personal bathroom only to be used by you then whatever you want.

But you need 2 different sized drains in there. The larger one for the toilet and water drain size for the shower.

Just something to think about if you're gonna have a new house or foundation built. You may want to at least have a toilet-sized drain installed there and if you don't use it fine... they have chrome or brass covers for the drain. But you'll always have the option later without jackhammering up the foundation.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

All-in-one "Wet" Bathroom

This is exactly what I am doing right now! The floor has a stainless steel strip drain so the slope pitches in just one direction to minimize that tippy feeling when only three wheels are in contact with an irregular floor. We have radiant heat built into the floor to provide even heat without drafts and it should dry quickly after a shower. My wife gets her own bathroom so I can keep my equipment out where I can reach it easily.

-Greg Jacobs

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    I have a contractor-built tiled roll-in shower. It's great. But if I had to do it over again I would have a toilet installed in it. Up close to the wall where the showerhead is. That way it's one-stop-shopping so to speak. Saves a potentially dangerous fall in the bathroom when transferring from the commode-wheelchair-shower. Plus there should still room enough to get a showerchair in if preferred. You'd have to measure the size of your shower area to make sure. You may want two toilets in there.... one for AB people and your own personal one in the shower. Or if it's your personal bathroom only to be used by you then whatever you want.

But you need 2 different sized drains in there. The larger one for the toilet and water drain size for the shower.

Just something to think about if you're gonna have a new house or foundation built. You may want to at least have a toilet-sized drain installed there and if you don't use it fine... they have chrome or brass covers for the drain. But you'll always have the option later without jackhammering up the foundation.

I saw roll-in kits at www.blvd.com/storefront/
    click on roll-in showers. They also sell the pans separately.

I'm having my bath ripped out and redone in a couple of weeks. Every bath guy that gave me an estimate said to go with a tile one instead of a prefab. All prefabs have a lip at the floor which is an inconvenience. My guy is putting down some type of a waterproof membrane on the floor and the lower half of the walls in the entire bathroom, that way if the drain were to back up there won't be any damage. The floor will slope into the shower with no lip. This will also help with cleaning too since all I have to do is spray down the tile throghout the bathroom and squeege it into the drain.

I also agree with Greg with the radiant heat. The rest of the family will love it. I'm also having a rainhead showerhead installed in the ceiling of the shower as well as the handheld on the wall. If you can fit it in your budget, I highly recommend it. I tried one and it's great.

Heres mine if you are looking for ideas.