Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fills like im stuck inside a maze

Fills like im stuck inside a maze

OK, This is the deal , I will be leaving for college in spring 03'. So im debating rather should I attend a university and stay on campus and go part-time?

Should I attend a community college and get a nearby apartment?

The reason im asking this cause i never live alone, plus im still in the process of taking care of my own bowel program, and still learning to connect my external condom cath and leg bath, you know that can be hard bein a c5inc.

Im looking for advice on what to do, i know at the end its my call. Any help would help me.

school *joy*

yup your right...at the end of the day it is your call. only you know what u can do and want to do and also what your body feels it can do.
    i think it also depends on the course u are taking too. and also what your lifestyle is like.
    if you feel like u can handle it i would say go for it. but its not only can u handle it mentally but physically too. maybe starting out at a community college would be best? then if that is going well transfer to one further?
    i know for me its my first year in college. i am a t4/5 complete and i am going full time which i regret doing. i should have started out slower. mentally it is draining (even on an able) but physically it is even more draining. at the end of the day i am sooooooooo tired. but maybe in the end it will be worth it (i hope) i have also pushed back alot of my rehab like working out/swimming/physio just cus i dont have the time anymore. but i fit it in when i can
    i am also glad my mom is living with me to help around the house cus with homework/rehab/etc. i just dont have the strength. there is a quad here who goes to the same collge as me but he is going part time

just make sure u check out the campasses and know how they are and just ask yourself is it worth going full time
    good luck man

I'm confused.

You said you're "leaving for college" in spring '03 but you don't know where you're going yet?

How far are you along in the application process?

There are a lot of things to decide regarding going to college, such as whether you'll have the stamina to take on a full time course load while managing to live alone, plus whether you need to find a PCA. It sounds as if you have not yet completely worked out your own self-care management either.

One option might be to find a school that's close enough to home where you can commute the first year, and then move on-campus for the second. You also have to consider the accessibility of the campus.

Good luck. Take things one step at a time.

thanks yall

I have gone a lil ways all the waiting for is my act and process fee.
    They have everything else, they call me about a week ago and i talk to them
    today. I want need a pca once i get my self bowel care inline, and once i figured how to connect my ext condom cath to my leg bag. After, all that ill be indepedent. They want me to come dec19 act res to be able to attend spring 03.
    Im thinking part time is best. Another guy told me ju-co's set you back a year.

Any other advice i would appreciate.
    thanks

Somehow MAD

Where ever you go I think you will soon be large and in charge. Keep your head together, and work hard at your independence. College is a wonderful experience if you plan it properly. I am glad you are working towards independent living.

Keep in touch with your plans and like I say to you in the chatroom , BEHAVE YOURSELF!!!

Mary

I am so far behind I think I am first....

Check out this thread...

SCI and returning to college, by reifers. Lotsa info there-Betheny
    P.S. Did you ever get intouch w/ the dr's and therapists @ TIRR?

MAD: If money is an issue, then going to a community college makes a great deal of economic sense. You can complete your General Education Requirements within four semesters at the community college for much less than a four year institution.

In California the cost per unit is $ll. (That's $33 for a regular 3 unit academic class.)
    Some fees are waived if there is a financial problem. Whatever you choose, enjoy your college experience. They may be the best years of your life IMO.

PN

yep

I got in touch with the docs at tirr. My appt. is jan 6 2003...
    Long time from now, but that was the only opening.suck huh?

Yep im large and always will be in charge.
    Also, Im always on my best behavior mary.

Mad is so

To Mad

Yeah, it sucks when it takes that long to get an appointment. Which Dr. are you going to see? Mine was Parsons. About school-are you a resident of TX or LA? Do you live w/ your folks right now? I know there's a CC in the Port Arthur area somewhere, my best friend's daughter goes there. I don't ever think it's a bad idea to start out w/ a CC. So much cheaper, you don't get lost in the shuffle as much, you can get more individual help. The basic requirements are the same no matter where you get 'em. I don't want to sound pessimistic, but the first yr. of college was overwhelming to me and I was able bodied.Add to that getting your living arrangements set up, personal care issues, figuring out how to get to school then how to get around campus, it's a LOT. Do you drive? Have a power chair? Get sick much? I need to go back to school and haven't figured out how. Online classes in OK cost too much, I walk w/ crutches but only for short distances, have a manual chair, the campuses are so big. Plus I get sick a lot more than I used to. They tell me that will settle down in a few years.Let me know what you decide and how you work it out. Good luck-Betheny

Hey Beth

Originally posted by Betheny:

Yeah, it sucks when it takes that long to get an appointment. Which Dr. are you going to see? Mine was Parsons. About school-are you a resident of TX or LA? Do you live w/ your folks right now? I know there's a CC in the Port Arthur area somewhere, my best friend's daughter goes there. I don't ever think it's a bad idea to start out w/ a CC. So much cheaper, you don't get lost in the shuffle as much, you can get more individual help. The basic requirements are the same no matter where you get 'em. I don't want to sound pessimistic, but the first yr. of college was overwhelming to me and I was able bodied.Add to that getting your living arrangements set up, personal care issues, figuring out how to get to school then how to get around campus, it's a LOT. Do you drive? Have a power chair? Get sick much? I need to go back to school and haven't figured out how. Online classes in OK cost too much, I walk w/ crutches but only for short distances, have a manual chair, the campuses are so big. Plus I get sick a lot more than I used to. They tell me that will settle down in a few years.Let me know what you decide and how you work it out. Good luck-Betheny
    Im going to see dr parson on jan 6, thats the earliest they could see me.
    Yes I live with my mother right now. Yea PA is like 45mins away from me, uh I hate PA. Yes I do drive I use a manual chair.No I dont get sick , just feel nausea when its time to take a sh**. lol.... Well I decided to go to UNO thats the Uni of New Orleans. I got a letter from them today about taking the act , so ill be in new orleans dec 19, cause the act i took a while ago was outdated.

All i got left to learn on my own is bowel program and connecting that ext condom cather and leg bag. Then im indepedent. I just need to get away..... Any suggestions.

Mad is so