Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amazing how many famous people have been affected by SCI

It's interesting to note that there are two sides to this discussion:
    1. We need someone with a recognized disability like SCI to become famous after the injury instead of the other way around. That's part of what the ADA speaks to.
    2. I think that you can measure when SCI publicity and real fundraising started based on the date of CR's injury. Before that, it was one of many unknown disabilities. SCI did not have a well-known face nor a celebrity who really got involved. CR have misled some based on his early optimism, but overall he is irreplaceable.

BTW, these are two reasons that fundraising must take care as well as cure into account. Without care, SCI would remain an unknown out-of-sight issue and there would be fewer donors.
    Carl

Should we contact some of these famous SCI's?
    Even to get a couple to actively join the
    cause..would be beneficial I would think.
    Of course we would have to be understanding
    of their life situations and not expect more
    than they are able to do for whatever reasons
    they may have.
    What do you all think?

celebs also get brainwashed by the system too. first convincing them that a cure is possible.

its so frustrating fighting a war where as the system is both our enemy and alley.

Yes Lindox,

Let's try to get J.K. Rowling on board. She is a relatively new celebrity and may not have an already established list of pet charities.
    I don't know if this site http://contactanycelebrity.com/ is legit, but we could try and find her contact info., or that of her agent.
    We could use some "poster" sci kids to spark her interest and mail her some pictures.

Thanks Dr. Young, for providing the info of talk of sci in one of her books.

Originally posted by Faye:

Yes Lindox,

Let's try to get J.K. Rowling on board. She is a relatively new celebrity and may not have an already established list of pet charities.
    I don't know if this site http://contactanycelebrity.com/ is legit, but we could try and find her contact info., or that of her agent.
    We could use some "poster" sci kids to spark her interest and mail her some pictures.

Thanks Dr. Young, for providing the info of talk of sci in one of her books.
    Faye,
    I'll get started on some of those we know of trying to find a good email addie.
    They are out there..need to hunt them down.
    I'll let you know of any progress.

Michael Graves - Architect - article about him in the New York Times this week:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/12/garden/12GRAV.html

I HAVE A FEW MORE PEOPLE TO ADD TO THE LIST.

1. DOAK WALKER,1948 HIESMAN TROPHEY WINNER ,SNOW SKIING ACCIDENT.

2. STEVE PALERMO, A.L.UMPIRE, GUN SHOT TRYING TO STOP A MUGGING OF A WOMEN

3. LANDON TURNER, INDIANA 1981 NCCA BASKETBALL CHAMPION, AUTO ACCIDENT.

4.TRAVIS ROY, BOSTON U. HOCKEY PLAYER HURT 11 SECONDS INTO FIRST COLLEGE GAME.

5. DARRELL GYWENN,TOP FUEL DRAGSTER DRIVER, HURT WHILE RACING.

6. SANG LAN, CHINESE GYMNAST,HURT IN GOODWILL GAMES.

7. JONI EARECKSON TADE, AUTHOR, RELIGEOUS SPEAKER, DIVING ACCIDENT.

8. JOHN HOCKENBERRY, NBC NEWS {DATELINE} JOURNLIST, AUTO ACCIDENT

9. JOCELYN LOVELL, CANADAS CYCLING CHAMPION, RUN OVER BY A TRUCK WHILE RIDING HIS BIKE.

10. WU SUCHEN, TAIWANS PRESIDENT WIFE, AUTO ACCIDENT.

11. JIM LANGEVIN, RHODE ISLAND CONGRESSMAN, GUN SHOT.

12. JAROME DAVIS, 1998 PBR BULL RIDER, BULL RIDING ACCIDENT.

I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT MY WIFE DID A RESEARCH PAPER FOR ONE OF HER COLLEGE CLASSES AND BEFORE SHE STARTED SHE WROTE ON THE CHALK BOARD 29 DIFFERANT PEOPLE , WITH MOST OF THEM LISTED IN THIS COLUMN THAT HAVE BEEN AFFECTED WITH A SPINAL CORD INJURY. AND NOT ONE PERSON IN HER CLASS KNEW WHAT THEY ALL HAD IN COMMON.I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT.

you can add my name to the list...soon i'll be a famous mathematician/physicist just like my avatar buddy.

by the way there is also daryl mitchell an actor injured a few years ago.

Philippians 4:4-7

You can also add Darren Drozdov, a former football player and wrestler.

Good luck, Joey!

Originally posted by Wise Young:

Faye, it is interesting that you mentioned J. K. Rowling (the author of the Harry Potter books). One of the books talks about spinal cord injury. Wise.
    could someone tell me which book?