Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amazing how many famous people have been affected by SCI

Then there was Curtis Mayfield too. He must have been a great guy with a name like Curtis Just realized in my main post I spelled knew as new, so sorry, guess I need to go back to school, lol.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Originally posted by Tara:

It's too bad that the only one who has creating awareness towards a cure with their celebrity status is C. Reeves. What are the rest of these people doing?
    I would guess, living. People don't make a big deal like Reeves and they do plenty of charitable work for sci in my opinion.

Originally posted by Lizbv:

Originally posted by Tara:
    It's too bad that the only one who has creating awareness towards a cure with their celebrity status is C. Reeves. What are the rest of these people doing?
    I would guess, living. People don't make a big deal like Reeves and they do plenty of charitable work for sci in my opinion.
    I agree 100%. I applaud folks who do things outside of limelight.

All of these other celebrities may or may not be doing charitable work for SCI, who knows? NO ONE gives SCI the exposure that Reeves does. Exposure, in my opinion, is a good thing. It requires people other than doctors, scientists, and the injured to think about our condition.

Whether you agree with CR or not, I believe all SCI's will ultimately benefit from what he does...

Originally posted by gvinton:

NO ONE gives SCI the exposure that Reeves does.
    Well, I'm glad we all are aloud opinions. I don't agree much with this.\
    Wait til you've been in a chair 20 or so years. Reeves does it because he wants to walk (which is great), but also for money. Its good business. Frankly, I think he over stresses his body and has aged tremendously. He was at the place I did rehab when they dedicated the new $18Million wing. It was when he was first injured.

o, wanted to add, I'm not trying to pick on him..........but the world is drivin by money, friend.

There are many celebs like Larry Flynt, Willie Shoemaker who COULD bring money and awareness to solving sci - they don't.

If they did then maybe they'd be in the media more often.

Lindsay, Lizbv - the media comes to CR not the other way around. SCI/paralysis and the related explosion of research/press is much bigger than any one individual. Those behind the scenes know better.

It's the general public, largely through the marketing machine of Hollywood who creates fame and exposure.

Be thankful for the CR exposure and leave it at that. It's benefitting all of us.

It would definitely be good to get more celebrities involved. The more exposure the better.
    Larry Flynt probably has more money than he knows what to do with and he does at times get politically involved. Just wish he would pick this cause.
    I've thought about contacting the writer of the Harry Potter books. It's always bothered me to see people have too much money, when there is such a need for money for SCI research.
    Also much more money seems to go to cancer and aids etc.. With more celebrities joining the quest for the cure for SCI, the public would also push for more research money.

Don't forget about Gloria Estefan! She was temporarily paralyzed after a bus accident in April 1990. Though she is walking now she does a lot of fundraising & works with The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis.

And also Derrick Thomas (NFL player) who died so unexpectedly after his SCI on his way to therapy in Miami.

He was mentioned already, but Mike Utley who played for the detroit lions has a foundation and raises money for research and promotes intense physical therapy that has improved his condition a lot. There was also the guy that born on the 4th of July was based on.

Faye, it is interesting that you mentioned J. K. Rowling (the author of the Harry Potter books). One of the books talks about spinal cord injury. Wise.