Thread: I need a beer!

I need a beer!

Are there any C5's that are able to drink beer from a bottle?
    I refuse to use a straw to drink a beer. Mixed drinks are a different story.
    My problem is this: when I lift my arms they "chicken wing" to the outside. Just imagine doing the chicken dance. I'm currently unable to hold my elbows in. If I could, drinking normally would be much easier. As it stands now, I can get a bottle/glass up to my mouth, but I can't "tip" it. That would require pronation of my forearm.
    Should I be able to hold my arms in or is that not possible at the C5 level?
    Any suggestions?

Practice, practice, practice.

I know what you mean by the chicken dance. I remember holding my first drink in a glass and having it fall to the floor and crashing to pieces.

Good luck and keep practicing!

(Do not drink and drive.)

I'm a C5/C6 and when I first came home from hospital my arms also flayed out at the elbows. I worked with an OT for about six months and now my arms are pretty normal with the exception of no hands and very little triceps. If you don't have access to therapy I'll ask my OT to describe some exercises you can do. Let me know.

Deb

Deb-
    I'm currently in therapy. Just started about 2 weeks ago. My OT got a good chuckle when I told her one of my goals was to drink a beer.
    There are several muscles that that are recruited at the C6 level that would help, but I don 't have them.
    If my external rotation was better, I may be able to do it. That, howevwer, is a difficult muscle/function to exercise.
    Please ask your OT for some suggestions...I'm trying anything.
    What I'm working against is 2 1/2 years of inactivity in the case of some muscles. I was originally a C4 and then recovered some C5 function. I really concentrated on the bicep, not realizing how many other muscles I should be able to use. Now I'm playing catch-up with very weak muscles against some inflexability.

My OT will be here around 5:00 central time today. I'll have him read your post and see what he recomends.

Deb

SlomoScott,

Both my OT and PT suggested that you see a neurologist and have an EMG done to see if the muscles you need are innervated. If yes, start out with gravity eliminated exercises and work up to doing exercises with weights on your wrist. Some exercises I used to do were shoulder rolls. Bend your arm at the elbow at 90 degrees and raise you arm from the elbow. Reach across your chest with each arm building up the repetitions. Be sure and work closely with your OT as to not damage any muscle tissue. Let me know how you are doing.

Deb

well im c6/c7 and i can drink a bottle of beer no prob...i mean, i dont drink im not of age yet, lol. rats ass...im always getting myself into trouble!!! ok i'll be quiet now

Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--unknown