Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amazing how many famous people have been affected by SCI

Amazing how many famous people have been affected by SCI

I was just watching the Disco Music Channel on tv which plays music and gives bios of the musicians. The Song boogie nights came on (back in the seventies I won many dance contests to this song along with my then Fiancee,Sherri) anyhow it said in the Screen "the group Heatwave was marred by many tragic events, the two leads were paralyzed in car crashes and the drummer was stabbed to death" Unreal, I never new that. Two of the members of this group heatwave ended up quads. http://www.centrohd.com/biogra/h1/he...d_in_brita.htm

Then there was Teddy Pendergass, he ended up a quad. One of my favorite Football players on the New England Patriots, Daryll Stingly ended up a Quad due to a Football tackle gone bad, then Marc Bonniconte, then of course Chris Reeve.

I am really realizing how short and fragile life is.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Don't forget Curtis Mayfield and the guy in Lynyrd Skynyrd too.

Darryl Stingley

Curt:

The Disco Music Channel? Dude, you seriously need to get out more.

I was in rehab with Darryl Stingley at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago in 1978-79. Met him a few times. I was only 14 at the time, but it was cool meeting a professional football player. Wonder what ever happened to him?

- Joe

You crack me up Joe

Lots of good memories in Disco music for me. I lived near a club growing up that was like the most super cool place on the planet, I could not wait to turn 18 so I could start going there. When I was around 16 I got into dancing (1974) and when Saturday night fever came out in 1977, I was in heaven, the movie had all my favorite music in it and the dancing was outstanding...Another one of my Favorites, the movie Dirty Dancing.

I dont really get out enough these days to clubs etc. I really do not have the patiance for the way people act around me the minute they see the Wheelchair and that I cannot control. Anyone who says that at least in the good ole USA our society does not have an intense prejudice against disabled people is not telling the truth. I try and change peoples attitudes as much as I can, but sometimes it is like banging my head against the wall.

Yes Starlight, I forgot those two people....Others, Larry flint, George Wallace, Ellen Stohl, Sharri Konipinski (both playboy centerfolds) and the list goes on.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I didn't realize there were so many! It's too bad that the only one who has creating awareness towards a cure with their celebrity status is C. Reeves. What are the rest of these people doing?

Dont' forget Kent Waldrep. What a great guy! And Tara, he does have a foundation to further the cause of SCI rehab and cure.

martha

Another few

Willy Shoemaker, one of the greatest jockies ever, has C4 complete injury.

Gen. George Patton died 10 days after sustaining a C6 SCI in an automobile accident right after VE day (WWII) in Brussels.

Roy Campenella, one of the greats in baseball (Brooklyn Dodgers) had a C5 injury.

Bob Dole, former Senator and presidential candidate, ASIA D tetraplegia due to gun shot wound in WWII.

George Wallace, late governor of Alabama, had a paraplegic injury due to an assassination attempt.

Larry Flynt, publisher of Hustler Magazine, has a paraplegia injury (and a gold plated wheelchair!)

Heidi Von Beltz (former Hollywood stuntwoman) is with us also trying to further the cure cause.

Darrell Gwynn - pro dragster racer

Anne Phipps - pro dragster motorcycle racer

Mike Utley - pro football

Dennis Byrd - pro football (walking quad?)

Sam Schmidt - NASCAR driver

To name a few.

I know there's more.

Onward and Upward!

Skynyrd

The guy in Skynyrd with SCI was Allen Collins.

http://www.skynyrd.com/acbio.html

Originally posted by Phebus/Chris:

Sam Schmidt - NASCAR driver
    Actually Sam raced in the IRL (Indy cars) not Nascar.

A couple others...

Wayne Rainey - World Champion Gran Prix motorcycle racer, paraplegic from racing accident in 1993

Frank Williams - Team owner of one of the top Formula One car teams. Became a quad from street car accident in 1986