Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forgot my SCI Anniversary

Forgot my SCI Anniversary

Before the 26 October, i knew i was going to be six years post but, when the day came, i didn't even take note of it until today - weird? Did this happen to anyone else here?

We share not only the same SCI anniversary -- Oct. 26 -- but the same amnesia. I often forget. But really, it isn't amnesia, it's called getting on with your life.

im really getting sick of that phrase, "getting on with your life."
    it makes it sound like everything is ok.
    we should come up with a better way of saying this, any ideas?

Originally posted by DA:

I think "getting on with your life" is fine. "Getting over yourself" also works.

LOL, If you cure "cranialrectalmylasia" (getting your head out of your ass), which many in this world suffer from, then its easier to "get over yourself" and "get on with your life"

But how to cure cranialrecta.....? Damned if I know?

Onward and Upward!

Originally posted by DA:

I think it's more a matter of "getting used to it."

I hope I can get to the point where I can forget about the date of my SCI injury. It's not that I don't try to forget it, I think I just need more time.

I think it's a matter of "putting up with it."

Chris

In my personal case, i guess i didn't remember my SCI anniversary because, i finally accepted my injury a few months ago (five and a half years post) and decided to stop living in the past. Comparing myself to how i was being abled-bodied and where i could have been today without SCI, really depressed me and i was frustrated/angry all the time. I resorted to alcohol and almost drank myself to death! I thank God for curing me of pneumonia a few months back and for also helping me to be where i am now. I've been sober for over seven months now, i feel really healthy, i'm positive, relaxed and generally happy. My SCI does get to me but, not as much as before.

I still DESPISE my life with SCI,but as for the date i got hurt,i dont even know the exact date.It was 9 years ago sometime around the middle of August.I guess i never had a reason to try and find out what the exact date is,i'm sure somebody knows in my family.

Interesting perspective. I don't remember the exact time of my SCI - mostly because I had anterograde amnesia - but even after 14 years the date is still like 9/11 to me.

"Time does not heal all wounds, it buries them in very shallow graves." - Gavan Dawes