Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's new in rigid manual chairs?

What's new in rigid manual chairs?

It's that time again, I have to get a new wheelchair. I've used Quickie Revolutions for the past 6 years or so, and I've been really happy with them, but I always like to know what's new on the market.

Does anyone have experience with the new Quickie Ti Titanium chair? It looks lean and mean and minimalist, which I favor. Lots of great features and looks like it will fit in the front seat of my car.

What are the "hot" lightweight rigid manual chairs these days? What do you like/dislike about them?

Thanks in advance!

The Quickie dealer that sold me my chair, said that their Titanium chair isn't that much lighter than their other aluminum (or whatever metal they use)chairs. He said that the Quickies have a lifetime warranty on their frames anyways. You might want to check out Spinlife.com, they have all kinds of brand name chairs, and really good prices. People that buy from that site also rate the chairs, so you know the pro's and cons. I know a guy that has been in a chair for the last 16 years, and he's still in the same chair he's had for 8 years. I think the chair is made by Eagle, or Eagle "something"(not completely sure,sorry) It's really sleek and minimalistic. He said that it flew out of the back of his truck on the interstate when he was going 80mph; the only thing wrong with it when they found it was a bent piece of metal on the back and he just hammered the dent back to normal. The only thing other than that is the paint is scratched. I think he said that it only weighs about 17 or 18 lbs, and that's with the wheels on. Good luck, and happy hunting :-).

Erin O.

Don't go with Invacare's Top End line. It's probably just as good as any chair out there but i've been waiting a long time for mine. I ordered it in April (they measure you and build it all by hand) and when it came in July it didn't fit at all, not even close. So we looked at what was wrong and re-ordered it and i'm still waiting. At least they gave me an A4 in the meantime.

I have a hallmark from new halls wheels. It is great. Custom measurements, no adjustable pieces to bend or mess up and add wight. Definitely 'minimalistic' plus it is compact and looks good. They are aluminum, but as far as I can tell (and admitted to by the ti sport people) it is as light or lighter than the titanium chairs. I got it about 3.5 yrs post injury, and was intimidated by the non-adjustability factor. But they work w/you to get the fit right and I love the chair.

JP

Spinlife.com

Chek out their site as well as call a customer service rep. Everyone there is a wheelchair user. Some of the best prices around

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
    It's already tomorrow in Australia!"----- Charles Schultz

Also, what size wheels / camber do you guys use? I'm trying to go smaller (I currently use 26") without sacrificing height too much and I'd also like to narrow my seat cushion up a bit.

And do any lower level (C7)quads out there use a low back? Suggestions / ideas?

JPW, Does "New Halls wheels" that you mentioned have a website?

Thanks for the help.

Onward and Upward!

Chris, I use 24" wheels. I have a set of knobby (XTR) and the grey with solid inserts. Both my chairs are Quickie Revolutions.

Here is the Halls site.

http://www.newhalls.com/

...act like a survivor not a victim.

Chris...

I'm C-7, I use 24" wheels with Primo tires...with 24's your chair won't go quite as fast, but will pick up speed quicker and will probably be a little easier going up hills than with 26's. Also I use 3" casters. I have 8 degrees of camber on my chair but my frame is 15x15 so its not too wide and I haven't run into many access problems fitting through doorways. My back is pretty low 12.5" high (not sure I'd recommend this to other quads but I like it that way) I also have 4.5" of "dump" (tilt) to my frame so I kind of sit in a bucket, which helps with balance. I can tell from your avatar pic I would not like your chair setup, my balance would suck and pushing would be harder and slower.
    I've learned how to get the most out of my chairs and my level of function when it comes to balance and speed mostly from playing rugby, although I don't use as much extreme camber and "dump" as I do on my rugby chair, I do keep my day chair in quite a sport setup which my not be the best for my body in the long run.
    You just have to experiment with chair setups to find what works best for you, little changes can make a big difference on what we get out of our chairs and ourselfs at our level.

Thanks Pat, JT, great description. Btw, JT, what kind of chair do you have?

Onward and Upward!

Originally posted by Chris:

Btw, JT, what kind of chair do you have?
    I have a Quickie TNT and a Quickie GPV Competition. I primarily use my TNT, they quit making it a couple years ago but I like it and haven't had any big problems with it like some people have. Next time I need a new chair I'll probably get the E&J 3000ST REBEL or I'll stick with Quickie and get the Quickie R2