Thread: National Disability Awareness Month:

National Disability Awareness Month:

National Disability Awareness Month:
    'New Freedom for the 21st Century'

by EEO

October has been designated as National Disability Awareness Month with the theme of "New Freedom for the 21st Century."

When we think about the 21st century, the first thing that comes to mind is the continuous changes in computer technology. As the DON undergoes technology changes, law governs us, through Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act Amendments signed by President Clinton on August 7, 1998, which covers access to federally funded programs and services. The law strengthens Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act and requires access to electronic and information technology provided by the federal government.

The law applies to all federal agencies when they develop, procure, maintain, or use electronic and information technology. Federal agencies must ensure that this technology is accessible to employees and members of the public with disabilities to the extent it does not pose an "undue burden."

Section 508 speaks to various means for disseminating information, providing individuals with disabilities "comparable access" to information technology such as computers, software, fax machines, telecommunication devices and other equipment that stores, processes and retrieves electronic data. It applies to, but is not solely focused on, federal pages on the net or the World Wide Web. It does not apply to web pages of private industry. Also, Section 508 of the Act prohibits federal agencies and states receiving federal funds from procuring electronic "information technology" equipment which is not accessible to persons with disabilities.

On May 21, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission publicized a final rule to clarify the application of the employment provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 to federal government workers. When Title I of the ADA (employment provision) was enacted, some of the legal requirements of the ADA differed from the Rehabilitation Act, even though the two laws shared the same purpose: ending employment discrimination based on disability. Congress subsequently amended the Rehabilitation Act, applying the ADA standards to federal employment.

October has evolved as the kick-off month for year-round programs that highlight the abilities and skills of Americans with disabilities. To celebrate Disability Awareness Month, the Equal Employment Opportunity Office has scheduled a "Lunch n' Learn" for Oct. 10 from 11:30a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in Building 1489, Room 102, to promote an awareness regarding "cradle-to-grave" concepts with reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities. Also, on Oct. 23 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Building 2272 Atrium, the EEO Office in conjunction with CAPTECH (Computer/Electronic Accommodation Program Technology) is hosting an Assistive Technology Demonstration.

Find your unit or browse all units
    Enter name of unit:

(USS Nimitz, 82nd Airborne, etc.)

Find people you served with in the military.
    Enter first and last name:

Select branch of service:
    All Services Army Navy Air Force Marines Coast Guard

http://www.dcmilitary.com/navy/teste...s/19574-1.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

==============================
    "It was once written "To thine own self be true". But how do we know who we really are? Every man must confront the monster within himself, if he is ever to find peace without. .." Outer Limits(Monster)

Let me tell you, that I'm sure that all AB's are excited about this one . I personally think that some prefer to remain ignorant to disabilities. Not everyone of course, by any means.

I got asked not to long ago to be the Special Emphasis Program Manager as colatteral duty for People w Disabilities Month for The Dept of Ernergy where I work. Erin, the federal sector is very sensitive to ppl with disabilities. And so are the employees genuinely interested, you have to believe thatppl are guinely good. Its forwardness to approach others which brings about understanding.

I have no doubt that most people are genuinely good. It just shocks me how little the general public knows about being paralyzed, or any other disability for that matter. I know, because I used to be that kind of person 6 months ago; one who didn't know anything about disability. I think this awareness month is good, but it's just another month that most of the general public will ignore. It means nothing to them, because it has nothing to do with them. Besides, everyone knows that it would never happen to them (I being sarcastic of course). I am happy that most people that I meet are genuinely interested in knowing about mine and other's disabilities. Most people see me as a person, not just a wheelchair. I was just venting a little bit, that's all.

"I got asked not to long ago to be the Special Emphasis Program Manager as colatteral duty for People w Disabilities Month for The Dept of Ernergy where I work."

I have always hated this about the federal government. It always aims its regulations at choosing people who already know to damn much about the particular "target". In the military it was always someone caught drunk driving who became the drug and alcohol advisor, a white male was NEVER chosen as the EEO officer. Like blacks need to know about Black History Month and women need to sit through 3 hour courses on how to spot harassment. Why not choose someone who is totally clueless and can teach others as they learn? Ok, off my soap box...

PS....Liz, do they at least pay you to spread your "awareness" around?

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Originally posted by Sue Pendleton:

"I got asked not to long ago to be the Special Emphasis Program Manager as colatteral duty for People w Disabilities Month for The Dept of Ernergy where I work."

I have always hated this about the federal government. It always aims its regulations at choosing people who already know to damn much about the particular "target". In the military it was always someone caught drunk driving who became the drug and alcohol advisor, a white male was NEVER chosen as the EEO officer. Like blacks need to know about Black History Month and women need to sit through 3 hour courses on how to spot harassment. Why not choose someone who is totally clueless and can teach others as they learn? Ok, off my soap box...

PS....Liz, do they at least pay you to spread your "awareness" around?

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."
    Hi Sue
    I agree with you. Unfortunately I am doing this as a collateral thing so no, I don't get paid extra, however I view it as a {'networking" opportunity. You just never know who you will meet or where you'll be. In December I have the opportunity to go to DC for a federal sector conference on employment of ppl w disabilities. I work at a closure site (in which I'll eventually have to move elsewhere), so its fun to get to know others.

Our Hispanic SEPM is an African American Guy, or American Indian SEPM is African American, and so its not like they are all "their own".

[This message was edited by Lizbv on Oct 10, 2002 at 11:16 AM.]

"In December I have the opportunity to go to DC for a federal sector conference on employment of ppl w disabilities. I work at a closure site (in which I'll eventually have to move elsewhere), so its fun to get to know others."

This definitely will make the extra duty worth it, Liz. If your closure is coming up anytime in the next year try and hook up with the disabilty officers at the Department of the Air Force and the CIA. Both are very big on hiring the gimpy and brainy. And the AF has places all over. Are you near Wright-Paterson? The only problem with taking jobs in this area is where to live. If it's affordable it's a long commute... Oh, and finding PCAs. If you can share any of the information on the conference I'd love to hear more. You can email it to me privately.

Originally posted by Sue Pendleton:

"In December I have the opportunity to go to DC for a federal sector conference on employment of ppl w disabilities. I work at a closure site (in which I'll eventually have to move elsewhere), so its fun to get to know others."

This definitely will make the extra duty worth it, Liz. If your closure is coming up anytime in the next year try and hook up with the disabilty officers at the Department of the Air Force and the CIA. Both are very big on hiring the gimpy and brainy. And the AF has places all over. Are you near Wright-Paterson? The only problem with taking jobs in this area is where to live. If it's affordable it's a long commute... Oh, and finding PCAs. If you can share any of the information on the conference I'd love to hear more. You can email it to me privately.

Ok Sue
    I'll email the conference link. The issues and workshops sound extremely good. I live about half hour from wright pat now, but when I went to wright state it was down the street. Disability services at WSU works with Wright Pat's SEPM quite a bit and actually, I served on a hiring committee (when I was in school) for the student employment person in the wsu office and funny, the woman who is now Wright Pats Disability SEPM, I intervied for the wsu job LOL.

Were you in the military, if I remember correctly? Hard to find PCA's in Maryland? I think its everywhere

Disability Awareness Month Celebrates Advances

Disability Awareness Month Celebrates Advances
    Email story to a friend

October 15, 2002
    Posted at: 6:25 p.m. CDT

JONESBORO, Ark. -- Some 54 million Americans are living with a disability and October is designated to recognize those Americans with National Disabilities Awareness Month. For one disabled Northeast Arkansan, things have changed for the better.

Craighead County Treasurer Russell Patton's everyday routine is what some would consider an uphill battle. He is one of 13 million working disabled Americans. He says that the more aware the nation is about people with disabilities, the better.

"You never know when a disability might happen," Patton said. "I was 21-years old when I broke my neck in a swimming accident and that was 28 years ago."

Not only did Patton adjust, but there have been changes in laws as well.

"I remember when I went to ASU and there was no elevator in Wilson Hall. Things are so much better now than they were in the past," Patton said.

Across the nation, all public buildings must have wheel chair access and ample parking for handicapped individuals due to the American with Disabilities Act passed by Congress. Patton says the things many of us take for granted, disabled Americans depend on everyday.

"Everything from the movies to shopping with those electric scooters. The automatic doors, grocery store doors, and parking, those things weren't around."

==============================
    "Events in our past seem to slip further away with time. But what happens when they circle back and meet us head on....in the present? Before we allow ourselves to be consumed by our regrets, we should remember the mistakes we make in life are not so important as the lessons we draw from them.." Outer Limits(Last supper)