Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheelies. What's the best way to learn?

Wheelies. What's the best way to learn?

Today I was coming out of Restaurant with a very small curb, so I popped up in a wheelie and popped down it. BUT. . . I went down it crooked and fell backwards. Luckily I was outside, and there weren't a lot of people around. It was embarrasing enough in front of my two friends. Naturally they freaked out, and helped me up real fast. It's really no big deal to me to fall, because I have learned to do it quite well, and I do it often :P. But of course I want to learn to go down curbs without falling backwards. It just takes too long to get back in the wheelchair, and I don't want to embarrass my friends .
    So does anyone have any tips about going down curbs and dropping off easily, or a way that they learned to do it on their own? Please let me know, because I can't have any embarrased friends . Thanks .

Erin O.

lol

Originally posted by Erin:

Today I was coming out of Restaurant with a very small curb, so I popped up in a wheelie and popped down it. _BUT. . . _I went down it crooked and fell backwards. Luckily I was outside, and there weren't a lot of people around. It was embarrasing enough in front of my two friends. Naturally they freaked out, and helped me up real fast. It's really no big deal to me to fall, because I have learned to do it quite well, and I do it often :P. But of course I want to learn to go down curbs without falling backwards. It just takes too long to get back in the wheelchair, and I don't want to embarrass my friends .
    So does anyone have any tips about going down curbs and dropping off easily, or a way that they learned to do it on their own? Please let me know, because I can't have any embarrassed friends .
    Erin O.
    Pick-a-boo, guess who? ya know.
    damn, all you have to do is go down backwards real slow, do you not have wheelie bars? , oh, your friends shouldn't be embarassed, if they real.just some thoughts for the mind....

Erin,

you have to practice. Just like anything else you want to get good at. And not have fear of falling. Pop a wheelie and practice at keping the chair ballanced up in the air, with minimum deviations. Then go to curbs and perfect your skill. Going down curbs is easy. The real skill is going up. That takes timing and ballance. Learn your limitations. One more thing, drinking affects your ballance and reflexes. I have lots of funny stories to that regard, for another time though. Good luck.

Don't go off crooked and don't make too big of a wheelie, just enough to keep your chair level and try to land on your wheels evenly. It's all about balance once you get that down you'll do it almost as easy as you use to step down curbs.

I've learned by simply being in a wheelie as much as I can everywhere you go just do wheelies and go off little things then bigger things it will all fall into place. At rehab they had us going off curbs fast like but I learned on my own that going real slow in a wheelie you have waaaaay more control. In my short time in the chair (15 months) I've only gone over backwards 4-5 times tops so it must be working.

I go down backwards while leaning forward with my chest on my knees. I Feels akward, but I haven't crashed doing it YET.

... ...

Wheelie Bars would be a mistake

Just practice in holding a wheelie while sitting in place, you will nail your balance point that way through practice. If you get good enough you will be able to go down multiple stairs, I have done this and gone down multiple flights of stairs, the only thing is you gotta be a little bit crazy to do this. Its like anything else, it just takes time and practice. It has been years since I have fallen over backwards since it becomes like second nature. Although if you are going to fall over, better backwards than forward. When you fall over forward you are more likely to break things like legs. Good luck.

I think its kind of a shame that they bang people out of rehab so fast these days before they are ready for the real world, but thats another issue, the insurance woo's. They use to keep the average SCI person for three months, now they bang em out sometimes in just a month, not enough rehab is the problem, the system has changed.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Chas~

Don't worry, I was sotally tober man .

No seriously, I was; promise .

Suggestions

I would suggest that you practice with a "spotter" to prevent you from falling over on your head. I have had two patients end up with serious brain injuries flipping their chairs. You might want to consider a bike helmet while you are practicing too.

Don't try this with anti-tip bars on your chair. They will flip your chair forward. If you really need anti-tips, you probably should not be trying wheelies.

(KLD)

Mad~

Don't worry guy, I'm really the embarrased one, not my friends; they just worry that I might hurt myself, that's all.

Thanks Everyone, I will practice, practice, practice. I will also not go over curbs crooked anymore. I don't know about the bike helmet, maybe a bright pink one? J/k, I'm just going to have a spotter help me practice. I hope that one day it will just be like 2nd nature to me, because right now I am just scared to death about popping up and down curbs. I want to do it so bad, but don't want to make a fool out of myself by falling over all the time :-). I'm sure it will get better with time and practice.