Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: God's Role in SCI

I totally agree with all of you. This could however turn into a nasty religious debate, as most topics like these usually do. Does anyone possibly think that we should start a religious forum so that people can freely debate about religion? I am not trying to start any arguments or want to get flamed. I just don't want this thread to turn into a huge flaming war because everyone has such different beliefs on religion. Lets face it, we have some hardcore people who don't believe in God (not a bad thing, to each their own)and don't appreciate topics that talk about the lord. We also have some hardcore christians, and catholics, people off all different religions; so of course they are not going to agree with everyone elses opinion. I know some people hate that part that they have on NM. I personally don't like to talk on this forum about deep religious topics, and have never been on NM's religious forum. I'm just making a suggestion, and of course open to any opinions and ideas that anyone might have.

Originally posted by jmublueduck:

... snip ...

i know this post will stir up some controversy, so again, flame away, but make sure you know your facts & can back them up.

~scott
    Scott, know your facts? Is this what God intends for us? Flame wars?

Objective standards that are publically verifiable are unavailable to us, and this has always been the case. Nonetheless we humans have stumbled along just fine without them, relying instead on our traditions and disciplines, some of which stretch far back through the ages. Read Pascal or Kierkegaard for examples of Christians who understood this.

Curtis, years ago I read the book by Rabbi Kushner you describe. I don't recall it being full of blather, rather I felt it to be an eminently reasonable treatment of a tremendously difficult subject, perhaps the most difficult one there is.

Shit happens, and God is there with us in the shit .. God knows a lot about shit. As I was laying there in the snow, knowing I had broken my neck, there was God. At that moment, I probably came as close to the mystery of the Crucifixion as I ever will.

- Bruce

It bugs me too Schmeky, but what are you gonna do? I think what bugs me the most is that I just sit there and smile. When I am feeling good and my spiritual nougat is smooth and creamy without the hard chunks of judgment I try to think of this;

"This is what you shall do: Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency."

Walt Whitman

"god has a plan"

I just tell them that any god who would sentence me to this living hell to satisfy his/her/its own personal agenda is hardly a god worthy of my admiration or respect. That usually shuts them up.

Originally posted by StarlightAngel:

I just tell them that any god who would sentence me to this living hell to satisfy his/her/its own personal agenda is hardly a god worthy of my admiration or respect. That usually shuts them up.
    My response too. Any God who would put anyone in this situation, is not a God I want to know. OTOH, as Rabbi Krushner points out, very intelligently and thoughtfully IMO, God created this world and the physical laws then gave us free choice. Along with free choice comes responsibility for our actions. I may not have consciously chose to crash my Jeep, but I did make a series of descisions with that being the result. And God can't go breaking the laws of physics, when a big hunk of metal speeds off the road at 90 km/hr, it will crash and people inside may get hurt. I guess if I was religious, I could take comfort from a relationship with God.

As someone posted... Religion is or people afraid of hell, spirituality is for those who've been there. Sums it up nicely in my personal opinion.

Emi, BillJ, I'm in complete agreement.

BTW, Another religious quad who is also quite popular is Ron Heagy(sp).
    I didn't like his book nor his beliefs.

Onward and Upward!

A thought...

For those that believe the Bible...

Ecclesiastes 9:11 - Again I saw that under the sun the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, nor bread to the wise, nor riches to the intelligent, nor favor to the men of skill; but time and chance happen to them all.

Just a thought...

One day at a time...

I don't know who put me in this situation, other than choices I made the night before the car accident ( personally, I think Satan is responsible ) but, one thing for sure, when a CURE of any nature happens, we need to thank God, whatever or whoever your God may be. After I was injured about 1 year and was 19 years old, I laid in bed one night and said, OK, here's the deal, I want to walk so bad I'd give the devil my soul. Well, I didn't have any takers one way or the other, so I guess I wasn't even good enough for the devil. Through the years I remain faithful that miracles can happen, sometimes not in the way we wish or realize what is best for us. My miracles came in the way of boy/girl twins. One of the first publications concerning SCI while still in a rehab hospital said I'd probably never father children with a spinal cord injury. So, there you go, you never know what will happen. My little miracles are 16 now and just started driving on their own , so now I pray they won't encounter any harm from being in an auto accident.

Bareback, I still think about selling my soul to the devil.

Good for you and your kids. That's awesome.

Kidding, but I've even thought that maybe I'd fly over the bermuda triangle, get abducted by aliens, have them open me up, cure me, beam me down and go back to my little life.

Onward and Upward!

Bareback...very cool on the kids. My wife and I are trying to right now to have kids...twins would be just fine (triplets...now that scares me).

Schmecky....scare the living snot out of 'em. Tell them that God has a plan for all of us (which, of course He does...it just doesn't include SCI...but evidently they don't know that) so they better look twice before they cross the street.

I've had Hindus, Muslims, Jews, and Christians all make this statement to me...I honestly think that it comes from a well intentioned place...and is almost cliche' at this point...as such its more of a method of attempting to console without thinking.

We live in a fallen world...stuff happens...its all part of the journey of life...as bitter sweet as it is at times