Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: God's Role in SCI

Originally posted by Bill J.:

Tara, I wonder if that book wasn't written by Joni Tadi Erickson, a quadriplegic who paints fabulous pictures with her mouth. While I respect her, I disagree completely with her theology. I have read a couple of her books. The latest one I told my daughter to burn.
    I looked for it and YES Joni was the author. A girl from my high school gave it to me while I was in the hospital. I read it and was disgusted by the way she turned her injury into some sort of divinely-ordained gift...

They mean well but...

they haven't a clue. I went through a near death experience where someone/something (God, Jesus, ????) said "I'm not taking you this time, I have something for you to do". I do not spend any time thinking about who said it, I spend time thinking about what it is I should do. I figure actions speak louder than words so I am constantly trying to help others get through their little crises. This is the only change I have made in my life since my accident, being more helpful.

Let those who need to feel someone else is at fault for their problems deal with them by blaming others. For me, it is time to move on with my life.

"And so it begins."

Another good book

Another good book about dealing with adversity and your relationship to God (or any other higher power) is this one:

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl

(KLD)

I don't wish to get into a debate with anyone as to my personal beliefs but I thought I would share this poem with all.

Raven

I Asked God

I asked God to take away my pain.
    God said "No. It is not up to me to take away,
    but for you to give it up."

I asked God to make my handicapped child whole.
    God said "No. Her spirit is whole,
    her body is only temporary."

I asked God to grant me patience.
    God said "No. Patience is a by-product of tribulations,
    it isn't granted, it is earned."

I asked God to give me happiness.
    God said "No. I give you blessings,
    happiness is up to you."

I asked God to spare me pain.
    God said "No. Suffering draws you apart from
    worldly cares and brings you closer to me."

I asked God to make my spirit grow.
    God said "No. You must grow on your own,
    but I will prune you to make you fruitful."

I asked for all things that I might enjoy life.
    God said "No. I will give you life so that you
    might enjoy all things."

I asked God to help me love others
    as much as he loves me.
    God said "Ahhh, finally you have the idea."

Unknown Author

Posted by Chris:
    Kidding, but I've even thought that maybe I'd fly over the bermuda triangle, get abducted by aliens, have them open me up, cure me, beam me down and go back to my little life.
    OMG, I've thought about the same thing!

Raven, I love that piece, it sums up everything so well. I think it fits well in this thread.

Originally posted by Chris:

Bareback, I still think about selling my soul to the devil.

Good for you and your kids. That's awesome.

Kidding, but I've even thought that maybe I'd fly over the bermuda triangle, get abducted by aliens, have them open me up, cure me, beam me down and go back to my little life.

Onward and Upward!
    That's really strange how sci's look for a cure of anykind. Sometimes I'll sit out at night and beg to be abducted by aliens, because I know they can cure anything. So far, no luck. From Oral Roberts to Kathryn Kulhmann and the laying on of hands by Morman elders, my faith just doesn't seem strong enough for any supreme beings miraculous powers. Guess I'll leave it to ol' Wise Young. That's the "REAL DEAL" !!!!

Thanks for sharing, Raven; what beautiful thoughts!

Originally posted by larwatson:

Bareback...very cool on the kids. My wife and I are trying to right now to have kids...twins would be just fine (triplets...now that scares me).

Schmecky....scare the living snot out of 'em. Tell them that God has a plan for all of us (which, of course He does...it just doesn't include SCI...but evidently they don't know that) so they better look twice before they cross the street.

I've had Hindus, Muslims, Jews, and Christians all make this statement to me...I honestly think that it comes from a well intentioned place...and is almost cliche' at this point...as such its more of a method of attempting to console without thinking. LArsw... My wife had to take clomid to make her more fertile and it took almost a year of her being on clomid before it worked. I don't know your situation, but the main thing is the timing of the ovulation and when she is fertile. Temperature needs be taken daily and when there is a sudden rise, this is usually the best time, so be sure to have yourself "save up" for this period of time. It will happen, and it will be the best thing that ever happens for both of you.

We live in a fallen world...stuff happens...its all part of the journey of life...as bitter sweet as it is at times

I'm heading out on a cruise to Bermuda the 30th. The next night is, depending on your calendar or beliefs, All Hallows Eve, Halloween or the eve of All Saints Day. November 1st is All Saints Day. Between the old harvest festivals time, all those martyred saints AND the Bermuda Triangle maybe something will zap me back to my old world. You think?

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris:

I also like this alien idea. After they cure me I would ask for some kind of spacecraft. I would fly to Mars and take a pee behind a red rock. That would be awesome.