Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Drag Racing

Drag Racing

My Brother Called me yesterday and wants to Race my Chevelle against his 1999 Chevy Corvette C-5, meeting at New England Dragway next friday night to settle our long standing arguement as far as who will win, lol. I have more power than him, but more weight. He should probabley hook up a little better off the line, so should make for an interesting match. I kinda think he will take me off the line but I will pass him about halfway down due to my horsepower advantage, but then he will start creeping up on me over 100mph a little towards the finish line due to his aerodynamic advantage. Should be interesting. Here is a pic of my 1974 Chevelle ls6 454.
    http://hometown.aol.com/handcyclist4...age/photo.html

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

[This message was edited by Curtis on Sep 28, 2002 at 07:14 PM.]

[This message was edited by Curtis on Oct 27, 2002 at 08:48 PM.]

Curtis, show me the way to there.. I would like to see grown up men in drag, racing eachothers :-)

Nope Vic

The Drag Queen (DQ) event is the following week, lol.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

i'll join the party with my 1993 low rider dodge caravan. oh yes, stand back. actually, the only way i'd win is if you dropped all three vehicles off a bridge; mine would kick @$$ in a freefall. have fun curtis... at least speed limits don't matter on dragways

Curtis stack the deck in your favor. I don't know what kind of compression your running but I'll guess 8.5:1 - 9:1 with a 454, if so look for a gas with a M.O.N. around 104 - 106, check the O2 rating too. Might want to run a full synthetic oil (Eng. trans, rear end) too. But you probably already know all about what I'm talking about.

BEST OF LUCK

LIVE IT UP AND LIVE IT LARGE!!!!

Good points

I am running just 8.5 to 1 on the compression. The reason for this is when I built the motor I wanted to be able to run on regular with no problems and it has worked out well in that way. Like you said, I think I will throw some Octane booster in the tank with premium gas, it should help out. I have a Lunati Bracketmaster II camshaft, hooker headers and a Barry Grant 1150 cfm carb and a MSD ignition system. Where I am really loosing power is through the heads, I just have the stock cast iron ones with stainless steel valves and a three angle valve job. I figure I could gain about 75hp by bolting on a pair of aluminum eldebrock heads and at the same time bump up the compression a point due to the smaller chambers.

If I really had my heart set on blowing the doors off his vette I could always just put a No2 bottle on the car, but I kind of want it to be a fair and square race, of course I'll look under the hood of his vette before the race just to make sure he does not have No2.

My biggest fear is loosing the race on the line. I have 295-50's on the rear, but still when you punch it hard, they just go up in smoke, especially if the switch pitch torque converter is engaged. It is a lot harder with the hand controls than an accelerator pedal to hit the right amount of throttle to keep the rear wheels under control, that is going to be the trick. I dont want to be sitting there up in smoke while he hooks up and goes flying past me off the line.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Curtis, good luck.

How about going up against my 240hp Honda S2000?

Onward and Upward!

Can I join the race, i have a VW golf with a dented fender. It should be able to run more 110 miles/h but I have never tried faster than about 85.
    I promise to wear a dress so I fit in.
    Other details about the car:
    Red, 3 doors, eehm.. cd player...well pretty much like other cars..could I win ?

Why not just whip out your slongs and see who's is bigger since thats what your arguement is really about...J/K

I'm sure his 99 corvette would out handle your old ass Chevele in cornering though, which I think is more important than strait line speed. I'm not really a fan of any american sports cars though, I think my 2000 eclipse probably corners better than any of them.

Originally posted by Chris:

How about going up against my 240hp Honda S2000?
    aren't these only available w/ manual trannys? i.e. how do you drive it?