Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recovery defies odds

My sentiments exactly, Starlight!

A little different perspective.

Many of you sound somewhat defensive. Let's be happy for this kid. Complete, incomplete, worked hard, whatever he's an inspiration to a lot of people.

For example, near my home is Columbine High School. You guys remember 'Columbine' don't you? Well, one of the injured students that fateful April '99 day was a freshman who was paralyzed at T4. He graduated in June this year and walked across the stage to receive his diploma. The standing ovation, tears and cheers were deafening. An amazing triumph.

Was he lucky? sure. Luckier than you or I, probably. But not for one minute do I begrudge his recovery. He's a symbol (of the 3% who walk out of the hospital) of what can happen. Call it hard work, call it determination, call it dumb luck. The fact is he's walking. That's awesome because he, like you and I could have easily died.

And so far as many on this and other forums displaying a very defensive position when discussing "hard work" and "determination", etc. I have a couple of questions. Has anyone accused you personally of not working hard enough? Did this author target you specifically? Suggest that you weren't determined enough?

The bottom line is that when you ask yourself and look in the mirror each day, (if its your recovery that's the most important thing to you) can you honestly say that you are doing everything in your power including diet, exercise, rest etc. to improve your paralyzed condition? Because if you do and you are then you have nothing to be ashamed, guilty or frustrated about and it shouldn't matter to you one bit that some writer somewhere who doesn't know you from Adam says, writes, or gives you the impression that you're being accused of something (in this case laziness) because you know in your heart what the truth is. Sometimes, admitting to ourselves, the truth hurts.

Eleanor Roosevelt once said something to the effect "noone can make you feel a certain way without your consent".

My guess is that some feel a little guilty and frustrated at their own lack of progress and effort and therefore feel a need to defend themselves without ever being accused. In my experience that generally means there's something fueling that defensiveness. Typically, its guilt.

Personally, I'm frustrated. I don't work as hard as I need to. Most of the reason is access and equipment. But I'm doing something about it. Some how, some way. And if you are trying as hard as you can and are as determined every day to improve you too will find a way. Then, when you've recovered they'll talk about you, your hard work, determination, drive, etc.

In the meantime don't hate the player, hate the game.

Peace

Onward and Upward!

I haven't seen anyone begrudge those lucky people who recover more from an SCI than they themselves do. The issue has solely been how such recoveries are reported, in that such reportage makes those who didn't recover look like they didn't deserve to get better because they didn't want it enough, or other such nonsense.

Thank you Alan!

Originally posted by Chris:
    Many of you sound somewhat defensive. Let's be happy for this kid. Complete, incomplete, worked hard, whatever he's an inspiration to a lot of people.
    Chris,

I am completely happy for this kid, and the guy that you talked about from Columbine. I never said I wasn't happy for the kid, nor implied it. I, like Alan said, was solely talking about the way people report SCI. The Miracle stories about people having the will to walk again. Not the story about the kid himself :-). Sorry that you misunderstood our posts.

In the meantime don't hate the player, hate the game.
    What's up with that?

Erin, I think you and Alan misunderstood my post. No big deal but funny that you two responded as if I was talking to you. See what I mean about being defensive. You felt the need to respond to my post that didn't mention you or Alan.

Don't hate the player, hate the game is a euphamism that essentially means: Don't begrudge someone (anyone) for something they have that you don't because they may be part of something out of your realm / understanding.

A simple example non-sci related could be professional athletes ("players"). Just because they make a lot of money, which we may think they don't deserve, we shouldn't, imo, begrudge them because they play in a "game" or arena/world that we're not privy too. The same could be said for highly paid executives.

Does that help?

Onward and Upward!

Chris~
    I'm not stupid, and I still think that you misunderstood what people wrote. I know what "Don't hate the player, hate the game means" I was thought that it was funny that you used that. I was in way mocking you for using a really silly slang term for something related to SCI.

Erin, mocking me? Nice.

I thought that you asked an honest question. I tried to provide an honest answer.

Noone said you were stupid. Defensive, yes.

Could be the age thing. 23 vs 38 is a big difference in terms of life experience.

Peace Erin.

Onward and Upward!

oops.

YOu might be right . BUt you're a 38 year old who uses High school hip hop lingo .

I'm not trying to fight with you Chris, I was not trying to be rude about saying I was in a way, mocking you. I was just being silly. So don't get all defensive on me now .

I guess I'm just young at heart Erin.

Onward and Upward!