Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chris Reeve on Larry King 9/23

Have a Nice Day

"If the wind could blow my troubles away. I'd stand in front of a hurricane."

CR is doing wonderful things for our cure cause. I for one have no intention of settling for the body I have now. I don't want acclamation, I want a cure. Go CR and thank you so very, very, much.

Deb

"Why should he get so much recognition when so many SCI's are leaving their mark on the world by working, going to school, making a life for themselves, etc.?"

Because he is like many (most?) of us here. He does not accept his injury in any way shape or form. To him there is nothing even remotely acceptable about SCI. We will die fighting before accepting this living hell and he is in a position of significant power to do something about it. Namely: awareness & fundraising.

Beating SCI is a much bigger deal than getting a job and having a family. Sorry to say but it is. It is the "holy grail" of neuroscience and we are just about there.

I have way more respect for an SCI who goes to work everyday and provides for himself than an SCI who runs their mouth about a cure while me and fellow taxpayers are paying for their disability check every month.

Lindsay, do you really think he needs that disability check? Or do you even know that he gets one?

CR's work is exactly what he is doing. He's working tirelessly to get the word out about SCI, its impact on lives, and how important research is.

We all seem to have prejudices toward 'celeberties', thinking their lives are so much better/easier/richer than ours. Richer monetarily, maybe; better, easier, happier, I really wonder.

I wasn't referring to Reeves. I was speaking in general. Sorry, should have clarified.

Originally posted by Marmalady:

We all seem to have prejudices toward 'celeberties', thinking their lives are so much better/easier/richer than ours. Richer monetarily, maybe; better, easier, happier, I really wonder.

I don't think of Reeve's life as being better/easier/richer than mine. True, he has more money than me, but he's a celebrity. I'm far from being rich, but I do have a good paying job that takes care of the bills and such. As far as his life being easier or happier than mine, I hardly think so.

Originally posted by LindsayS:

I have way more respect for an SCI who goes to work everyday and provides for himself than an SCI who runs their mouth about a cure while me and fellow taxpayers are paying for their disability check every month.
    LindsayS: CR DOES work and along w/work comes paying taxes. So what if his goal is promoting a cure? He has directed and acted in films since his injury...not to mention crusaded tirelessly for a cure for this nightmare. OK, we know you will not be taking the cure if it should happen to be derived from ESCs, but, I sure as hell will.

BTW, I am not currently working, but my money is taxed in the highest tax bracket. So, who's to say I'm not paying your SS check? You are very hostile and presumptuis. Chill.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. ~Albert Einstein

Andrea, did you even read all of my posts? I said I wasn't referring to Reeves, I was talking in general. Before you get on a high horse, read all of the posts.

Second of all, you aren't paying for my SS check because I DON'T GET ONE. I am SCI who is able to work and as long as I am under retirement age I won't get one. I may be disabled but that doesn't mean I need a monthly check. This is a BIG deal for me because a lot of the time SCI's and other DA's are looked at negatively because they are lazy and don't work when they are able, therefore unnecessarily drawing money from the government.

Finally, it's PRESUMPTUOUS. If you are going to resort to name calling, do a spell check first.

Okay, all - let's everyone chill and get back on topic.

Lindsay, I misunderstood your post also - made the assumption that your comment was about CR because you posted it under a topic that was about him.

My only comment about SCI's and disability checks and not working is this; I don't know of too many folks in chairs who wouldn't like to be working, contributing members of society, my son included. I can only use him as an example, because he's the only one I have actual facts about.

Yes, he receives SSI and Medicare/Medicaid; he would like to work, but has a TBI along with SCI and the problems associated with that are requiring a loooong time for him to rehab from. If he did work, he would 1) lose his medical benefits; if he lost his medical benefits, the cost of private insurance would be prohibitive. Assuming, of course, he could get private insurance with a pre-existing condition like SCI. And because his medical condition is still rather fragile, he would miss so much work that I sincerely wonder if he could hold a job.

My suspicions are that this is true with much of the community. I'm glad you are a productive working member of society. But please remember that for those people who cannot work, I don't think it's because they don't want to.