Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: honesty that belittles

honesty that belittles

I think Erin is just frustrated with the idea that some people have put across that she (or any of us) shouldn't have anything to complain about because we're alive. The fact is, Erin is a 'newbie' at SCI, but even after almost 12 years, I have plenty to bitch about, plenty of things I still mourn the loss of. No one was condemning anyone for living. I am trying to live and be happy despite SCI, but the idea that we shouldn't have to look for reasons to go on is asinine, because whether you (or LindsayS) admit it or not, we all have times where we wonder how we can go on. If you don't have times like that anymore or they're rare, good for you! But recognize we all cope differently, and belittling someone for needing to find reasons to go on isn't very cool, in my humble opinion.
    Scorpion:
    There is NOTHING wrong with a person not adjusting to SCI, no one said we had to.

I don't think that by answering to a question, I am belittling anyone, howevever, turning everything around into a fight gets old REALLY fast.

I have a million things to acomplish, get over, get through, learn, accept, etc. in life and, NOT ALL are SCI related. I have always stated that walking is my #1 goal and, that I will acomplish it. I am not bitter, etc. by my injury, I feel it's something I got myself into, and, I will wheel it along till I can walk it. It's at no moment a reason for me to want to give up, cause, like I said, there is simply nothing to give up on when it comes to my SCI.

Bad days? Yes I have them but, the ones that come because of my condition are 1000 more times easier than the ones that come for all other problems.

I am sorry if this makes Erin and u angry, and, I can stop expressing my opinion in this regard if it hurts u both so much. But, life started when I was born and ends when my vitals stop, not when I got injured so, I will enjoy it, hate it, love it, accept it, but most of all... LIVE IT till the end. Does that belittle u too?

(Geee, I feel like a broken record with this subject )

...and the soul afraid of dyin'... That never learns to live...

I turned nothing into a fight. There was squabbling between Erin & LindsayS already on that thread. I wasn't offended by anything, but I was trying to offer you & LindsayS another perspective that you might have missed because of Erin's caustic response. All I meant was that some of the posts saying stuff like "What's wrong with living?" or "What's to give up on?" (I'm paraphrasing) come across TO ME as belittling those who posted that there is a lot with SCI that sucks and it's hard to cope sometimes.

I'm all for honest posts. But don't expect everyone to not respond with their honest opinion simply because you're being honest. I'm not slagginbg anyone for a positive outlook. I try to be an optimist too. But I just got the vibe you & LindsayS were slagging others for needing to find reasons to 'live.' Don't get your undies in a bunch.

~Rus

"...you're not promised tomorrow, so live for today" (Stuck Mojo)

whatever

I don't 'expect' things out of people... but anyhow, fine tune your 'vibes'

Originally posted by Polett:

I don't 'expect' things out of people... but anyhow, fine tune your 'vibes'
    Call me crazy, but it just seems to me that you and LindsayS expected no one to challenge your positive posts, even though the posts themselves challenged the posts of others. It also seems TO ME that some people here just don't like anyone disagreeing with them. Disagreeing does not mean 'flaming'. As for my 'vibes', they suit me fine.

I'm done with this thread.

~Rus

"...you're not promised tomorrow, so live for today" (Stuck Mojo)

How's this for honesty - suicide is my safety net when I feel like I just can't take this quad thing anymore.

Deb

What is going on???????

I'm not angry about anything. I think that everyone in this world is going to have different opinions, whether they have SCI or not. Everyone is entitled to feeling angry, or happy, or have their own opinions about things. People aren't going to feel the same emotions all the time. Life is like a rollercoaster for everyone, some just have more turns and loops on theirs. I realized that on this website if I or anyone says anything, someone is bound to find something they don't like about it and shred the other person to pieces. Or they are going to be honest and post the way they feel. Definitely not a bad thing. It seems to me that all anyone keeps mentioning on here is that I'm a newbie, I haven't experience the bad parts, etc. Well so what I haven't been injured as long as some of you people have. I've broken my back, I can't walk, I lost bowel and bladder function, I have pain, I'm going through transitional time in my life, I'm adjusting to this, I've had a blood clot already and been in the hospital again, I've fallen out of my chair numerous times, I've scraped my knees in the pool cause I couldn't feel them, etc. The list could go on forever. What more do you guys want me to go through.

I am not coming on this site and trying to say I am better than someone else, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't know anyone on here personally except Josh. So I'm not going to put some opinion that I have about something someone said in concrete. I might think "Those people really have something up their A$$ today!" Or think "Boy, that was really mean." But that person might say something nice on the next thread and I'll forget all the mean things they said. I don't know you guys, so I'm not tossing and turning every night taking to heart what people say about me here.

And whoever said that I was thinking that everyone with SCI can't enjoy life and move on? Polett, do you really think that I thought you were belittling me? I am happy with myself whether I'm in this chair or not, I don't think that their is anything wrong with being happy with SCI. At first I thought that Lindsay was rubbing it in our faces that her life was perfect, and that we all should have lives like hers. SHe (or you) wasn't saying that at all. I just took it the wrong way. So I said some things I shouldn't have, I was wrong, and Lindsay S and I called a Truce. I love coming on here and posting my opinions, and reading other people's opinions. Just because I don't agree with them doesn't mean that I have to write some rude response. And just because some person writes some rude response to me and I write in defense, doesn't mean that I'm going to hold a grudge against that person. DIfference of opinion and thought, is what this world is about. What would this world be like if everyone thought alike? How boring would that be? I've got a lot to learn about life period, but so does everyone else. That's what life is all about, learning and adapting as a person. So for the record, I don't NOT like anyone on this forum. And nothing that anyone says here about me is going to make me stop posting. They are entitled to their opinion whether I like it or not.

[This message was edited by Erin on Sep 08, 2002 at 06:53 PM.]

There are two parts to communication

Delivery & Perception

sometimes for me I mean 1 thing but stupidly write it a different way

I have a hard time controlling both ends (that is Delivery & Perception )

see what I mean?)*&^

this is a good place to vent but as for ME i'll try staying to the cure

care area because this is why I came
    Debbi

Suicide would be my safety net, if I knew a way to do it. So, no safety net.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Polett:

(Geee, I feel like a broken record with this subject )
    I am having a hard time understanding why one would start a entirely new post on the subject then.........

Grow up...

Not for nothing but, thid thread is OLD news people.

Tara: If u READ and FOLLOW UP these soap operas, u'd understand why this is in a new thread... it was in reply to a post by scorpion.

Debbie: when life gets to me, i relax myself to sleep by picturing myself free falling out of a plane (skydive) and just looking at the sky... at that point Im FREE (im not wearing a parashute) but, i dont crash either, im just... free falling.

Erin: i know u r trying desperatly to be a point of atention but, this thread was created and directed to scorpion, he replied... end of story so... why keep retyping same responses?????????