Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is this discrimination?

Thanks Chasb

It was obvious this guy just plain didnt care, he would not even answer his phone, he would just let it ring. He just opened his shop a few months ago and I would be amazed if he makes it even another couple of months more. I think I am going to call the BBB on Monday and maybe the attorney generals office In Massachusetts. After seeing how he operates that place, I think its a scam shop, he works alone and has no help. I talked to him a while when he gave me the original estimate and he seemed ok (One joke after another, real comedian) thought he seemed like an ok guy, but you never know. He got real creepy when I questioned the amount he came up with at the end of the job and picked up a big crow bar and was pounding it against his palm, rather than lose my life, I payed and got out of there real quickly.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Curtis,

I had another thought. When you phone the BBB, you might want to ask them if it is infact illegal to perform work without a written estimate that is signed (by the customer). Then ask them to mail you complaint forms. In the mean time, you might want to send him (the repair location) a certified complaint. Let him know that if your complaint is not settled to your satifaction, you will be forced to file a written complaint with the BBB ( furthermore, explain what he did was illegal, if infact the BBB confirms it). Sometimes the mere threat(of a written complaint to the BBB) will get their attention. If he doesn't respond, you can attach the complaint letter and proof of service (copy) to the complaint form mailed to the BBB. It's alot of hassle, but it is the principle. If he is smart, he will settle. Hope things work out. btw- that part about the crowbar was funny.

here is the link to the BBB online. By the way they handle more than just Auto repair disputes http://www.bbb.org/complaints/BBBAutoline.asp#kinds
    see also http://www.bbb.org for types of complaints handled and contact numbers.
    To find local BBB in your area http://www.bbb.org/bbblookup/

[This message was edited by chasb on Aug 24, 2002 at 08:57 PM.]

Thanks Chasb

I think I will pursue this thing, it is just not right. I kind of kick myself for just not leaving when I got there, he came running out to my truck and told me he had forgot about my appointment that mourning and then when I went to leave he stopped me and told me he would still take my vehicle in as a "big favor to me" I guess that was part of his game that he plays, I should have just left right there, something did not seem right.

Sorry to take over this post Andrea, lol. I guess the point is anytime you get any service done, take it very seriously. You have to wonder about that dealer that would not take in you're Van, what the heck are some of these people thinking? If you were to get a newspaper to do a story on that, it sure would not make the dealer look very good, thats for sure, it would have the effect of making them look like a lazy incompetent service department.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

if I am noit able to be with the vehicle, someone "drops" it off like my last one I was not able to drive, I ask the shop to call me on the phone and tell me what they think needs worked on. Hope the situation turns around Curtis. anytime you threaten w the bbb, people suddenly get things done lolol.

Just got the Response from the BBB yesterday

"Based upon the response to your complaint there is, unfortunately nothing further we can do to assist you on a mediation basis and we shall consider your case closed"

His response in a letter to the BBB was that my truck is harder to work on and maneuver because of the special Handicap equipment installed. He also said that I actually saved money because the dealer would have charged me more than he did so that I actually got a bargain.

For one thing, my truck is able to be driven by anyone as the regular pedals still work and the hand controls are up high out of the way. This is the only "handicap equipment" I have on the truck, anyone who can drive, can drive my truck and there is nothing in the way of the trans. pan he had to drop, there is just a single cable that runs from the hand controls to the Throttle body. Using this as a defense this guy really showed his true colors, "Scumbag".

And as far as his defense that I saved money by using him over the dealer, that is not the point, he gave me a quote and then charged me $166.00 more? I guess I'll write back the BBB, even though they will just tell me the case is now closed..... sigh.

What I should really do now is hit the guy up with a discrimination law suit since he basically stated in his letter to the BBB that my Truck is harder to work on and Maneuver because of handicap equipment as an excuse to charge me more. It could very easily be proven that this statement is totally irrelevant to the case and that would prove he is a liar.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

[This message was edited by Curtis on Sep 23, 2002 at 12:14 AM.]

It's the rip her off she's an idiot thing at work when talking the oil change. My very first tune up at a Kmart back in 1976 required 10 spark plugs. I asked how they squeezed 10 into an 8 cyclinder engine. Suddenly I was being charged because they broke 2. Uhuh, No way! Head for Jiffy Lube next time. :-)

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow."

Just saw this thread and wanted to add some comments.

Yearly inspections are my problem. Once, the guy failed me because I had a "protusion" sticking out on the right side. It was the little bitty rubber-encased switch for the door/lift! No amount of explaining seemed to help. Another time, I was failed because my airbag light was on. I explained to the guy that we had the airbag LEGALLY disconnected because it could actually do more harm than good for someone in a WC. Showed him the official waiver letter and everything.

As for service -- another pain in the ass. I think it's a combination of two main factors: not wanting to screw up an expensive van, and not wanting to be inconvenienced. People these days ...

$53.00 for an OIL CHANGE???

That's highway robbery without a gun! How big is your oil tank?

Glad you found somebody with common sense...and at a reasonable rate!

Take care!

Teena