Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this discrimination?

Thanks!

That's sweet I'll call next week. But, still, $53.00 for an oil change? Ouch!

Cuando el amor te llame, siguelo, aunque sus caminos sean abruptos y escarpados ~Kahlil Gibrán

If they charge everyone $53.00 for the same thing then it is not discrimination but if they were charging you extra because your vehicle is "different" then it IS discrimination.

the $53 oil change

I don't know if THIS qualifies as discrimination, but I heard once a couple of sociologists conducted a study and found out that mechanics will typically charge women higher prices for similar procedures than they do men.

"I don't know if THIS qualifies as discrimination, but I heard once a couple of sociologists conducted a study and found out that mechanics will typically charge women higher prices for similar procedures than they do men."

how about haircuts?

lowered minivan floors

Do you all with lowered minivan floors and runners put your vans on lifts? and do you go up in the air with them? I cannot find any business that will lift me n my van in air.

Secondly, don't the fiberglass sides on your vehichle get caught while driving up on the lifter? I'm not sure of the exact name. Anyways, I have to find places with "pits" to get my oil changed and they generally cost more.

i have a lowered floor van, liz, and, in fact, my kneel is on the blink,,,i go to a place, similar to jiffy lube and its a "pit" place,,,they charge me $26 for full service including vacuuming and tire check...since i go to the same place every time they have gotten to know me and even have the cashier come out to me when its time to divvy up...and u damn right they see a woman coming and $ signs light up in their eyes,,,& crips are given the same treatment,,,unless its an emergency & i need to use my sears card i wont go there,,i already put a diehard battery in,,,thats the only thing they sell that i trust at all....jeffh

Liz

I would have preferred to have gone to a pit place, but did not know where one was and time was of the esscence. There seemed to be no problem w/the hydraulic system being placed on the lift, though. I think next time, I'll look for the other type of place.
    I chose not to stay in my car, but I told them not to touch anything.

Oh, and the $53.00 oil change: I was *quoted* over the phone $29.95 -- somehow it jumped -/+ 23.00

I guess rotating the tires and checking air pressure is worth 23 dollars? Plllleasse.
    My car has the running boards, too and I still need to take care of that recall.
    Cuando el amor te llame, siguelo, aunque sus caminos sean abruptos y escarpados ~Kahlil Gibrán

I do need to go to a dodge dealer soon as I need to have things "gone over" to make sure everythings right. I think dealers might have a slight "upcharge" as compared to other places that do maitennaince, relating to your oil change/rotation price. I'm not excited about going, as no one can drive my van but me. (unless they r familiar). & its another day to take time off from work. anyways, I'll post my experience. i'm sure it will be fun filled. not.

lol

You have to be so careful these days it seems

I needed a little lock up solinoid for the torque converter done on my trans and was quoted $88.00 by a place down in Buzzards Bay called "Scaggs Transmittion" Sounded like a fair deal, an hour to drop the trans pan and take out the two screws for the solinoid and put the new one in, the part he told me would be $20.00. Anyhow, went to pick up the truck and got a bill of $254.36, I asked what happened to the $88.00, he said I never told you that. He got me $110.00 for the Part and I could have bought it at the dealer for $15.00, had I taken the hour to do the job myself, I would have saved $240.00. I learned an important lesson on this one, Always get the estimate in writing, someone saying something these days is worthless, not like it use to be, a lot of people just don't give a darn and if you open up the door for them to take advantage of you, they will, especially in the Car business. I am debating on what action to take on this one, or just write it off as a "lesson learned". The other thing I learned is to stay away from places with names like Scaggs, lol.

Glad you got you're van squared away though Andrea, If you could find a good Independant shop that you can trust, that is best bet. Problem is the type you can trust are getting harder and harder to find.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

[This message was edited by Curtis on Aug 24, 2002 at 06:06 PM.]

Curtis,

I think after reading your story, you have a valid claim and should file a complaint. I live in CA, and the service stations/ repair shops are governed by the (BBB) Beter Business Bureau. It is my understanding that it is illegal for a station to commence work without a written estimate that is signed by the customer. If said work exceeds the written estimate by more than 10%, (in fairness to the stations, sometimes once they open up the trouble, it is possible to come across something unexpected) the service location must call the customer and get a verbal authorization on the over ride. They generally make note on the written copy, the date, time and who they spoke with. You have probably seen Sears charged with this(as well as many other national chains). This is common practice. Once I had a written estimate on an internal fuel pump and when I went to pick up the car it was double the price. I called the BBB and they forced the station to refund my money. Usually they hook you with a "low ball" add for oil changes. Once they get you in the door and your car is on the rack, they come back with the bad news. Your car needs all these additional repairs. If they are not made it could be dangerous to drive. (they generally try to scare you, with the "dangerous" part). The mechanics usually get a percentage of the profit of any of the additional work they can talk the customer into. A safe way to "screen" the shop in advance is to call (whatever agency governs work in your area) and ask if they have any complaints against them(the stations) for over charging. The "bait and switch" is fairly common practice also. Cheap quote over the phone. When you take your car in it NEVER "meets" their requirements for the cheap quoted price.

Note: any time a repair is done at a station you can't trust or are not sure, ALWAYS ask them to return the parts that have been replaced. This sends them a message up front your in no mood to take any funny business.(in a polite way)

Lizbv- the big auto dealerships generally charge a higher labor rate than independant shops. This is how they offset the cost of warranty work that they perform for the car manufactures.

[This message was edited by chasb on Aug 24, 2002 at 08:17 PM.]