Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking SCI's

Walking SCI's

Out of curiosity, how many people here can walk? How well do you walk and what kind of comments do you get?? I think it would be interesting to compare the various extents of recovery.

I'm c5/6 incomplete and will be 11 months post on Friday. I don't get any comments at all really just because those who don't know I was injured can't tell and those that knew I was hurt assume I'm completely healed.

In fact, I'm kind of in between. I walk normally and show no visable effects of the injury. I'm back playing golf and shooting about what I did pre-injury. I can jog but not run well. You won't see me on a basketball court though and I have trouble playing catch with me kids because my left hand is probably 60-70%.

I have been extremely lucky in my recovery so its difficult to relate to a lot of SCI's. However, I do deal with a lot of SCI related personal issues so its sometimes hard dealing with AB's who proclaim me "healed." Don't get me wrong, I know how lucky I am, I just find myself in a bit of "no man's land."

Walking SCI's

Hello My name is Juan, I´m from México, I´m T5 incomplete.

I can stand up and walk(deambulate) with out orthesis, My right leg has some control, the left don´t. I understand others can do the same but i have not meet anyone yet.

I´m interested in have communication with the ones that can to know experiences.

Regards

JJ RodrÃ*guez

Some info on my recovery

Originally posted by Donny247:

Out of curiosity, how many people here can walk? How well do you walk and what kind of comments do you get?? I think it would be interesting to compare the various extents of recovery.
    Donny, I can walk using an AFO and by using a e-stim unit with a heel switch, which keeps shorting out on me. I use a forearm cane(guess that's what you call it)and I can walk somewhat better if I keep my hand in my pocket(helps me to swing leg foward and on balance) As for comments I recieve, I get the usual question, what happened to your leg? As far as recovery is concerned I'm not finished with it. I need to start a exercise program again! I have some equipment to use I just keep putting it off. Maybe today is the day. Hope everyone here has a good day! Benjamin

[This message was edited by userben4818 on Aug 01, 2002 at 04:19 PM.]

I walk with lofstrand crutches now. I started walking with a walker last December and am making slow, steady progress. My current issue is my sit-to-stand. I can stand from my wheelchair into a walker, but not from a regular-height chair. I'm tall and my long legs seem to have a mechanical disadvantage. I think it's going to take me another year to get to independent walking.

I am now 17 months post, C6 ASIA D Brown-Sequard syndrome.

- Bruce

I'm a T10/L1 incomplete para. I am able to walk with forearm crutches by locking both knees. I don't use any braces at the moment but, due to my knees going into hyper-extension, my right knee starts swelling and paining a lot if i walk/stand too much. Thus, i'm having a special knee brace made to correct this. I'm also hoping this might help with my posture because, this is the only negative comment i received thus far regarding my walking. I also need to work on the from "sit-to-stand" because, it's very difficult for me now without any hamstring function.

Walking

I am a T9-T10 incomplete God almost three years post. Aug 12 will be three years. I can walk without any assistance but it still is very hard and I get tried. I went about a years using a chair and then about 8 more months using walker or some type of cane. I've had leg braces, AFO's insole inserts to try to reduce clonus. I know I am really lucky but sometimes it hard to remember that I still have SCI problems spasms, tone and I lose strenght in my legs and abs very quickly if I cannot get to the gym at least 4 times a week. People who know me can tell I am not the same, but just seeing me on the street I don't think most people notice unless I am tried then people think I'm drunk, I had to explain that once to some cops at a baseball game, I almost went to jail.

Bill

Walking

My DD who is 15 has been walking since about two months post. At 18mos post she uses orthotic inserts in her shoes, and sometimes resorts to hiking poles to keep her stablized. she is one tough cookie, I'll tell you! I've never seen anyone work so hard. she still has sensory troubles, and proprioception problems, spasms, clonis,..and pain. But most people look at her and think that she has hurt her hip or knee. Another invisable SCI.

M.Elston Mother of a teen who no longer wishes to be identified by her injury. **rolling eyes**

Hello Don.

I am C5/6 quad 25 years post. Browns/Sequard. I had normal strength on the right side.with loss of sensation. The left side was 50% weaker with full sensation. I walked with a limp unaided, up until 1996 then I had a syrinx develop. [20 yrs post] This was discovered because I was having motor loss and loss of feeling to the fingers on my right..and neuropathic pain. After surgery to Detether the syrinx my condition has deteriorated to the point where I use a wheel chair to go out. I can still walk very short distances and use an electric arm chair that stands me up. Like other walking quads standing from a normal chair is difficult. My biggest problem has been dealing with incontinence. About a year ago I was put on a bowel program which works fine. I take two coloxyl [stool softener] at night. In the morning I have a glycerine suppository takes about 20 minutes to work. At night I wear a uridome connected to a night bag to stop that warm moist feeling. My advice don't overdo the heavy work bit I have been told it causes the cord to break down quicker. Good to exchange views with others with a similar injury.

To answer the second part of your question. The worst thing said to me was by a work mate. 'If I was like you I'd shoot my self' The second was to my wife. by a nurse and close friend. ' What did you ever marry him for'

Bruce

I am a t-4 complete

And walk using long leg braces. At my level of injury I had people tell me 21 years ago that I could not do this, well, they were wrong. Use long leg braces (thought about getting some of those high boots, anyone know where I can get these and what the cost is?) and use Canadian crutches and do a swing through gate. I mostly just walk around my house and around my yard, other than that I use the wheelchair, if I had better braces, I think I might be able to walk more for functional purposes, my braces are 20 years old and don't fit right and I can't stand on them too long as they put pressure on my legs.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred