Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: How well do you cope

How well do you cope

Someone sent me this question recently:

On a scale of 1-7, with 1 being the worst, and 7 being the best, how well do you think you are coping, all things considered, with SCI and life in general.

Do you consider yourself to be coping successfully? Why or why not?

Just trying to get a general sense.

I give myself a 5 out of 7.

Some days are better than others but on the whole my life is very good and I am grateful that my injury was not higher (I'm a T4), that I am not living in poverty & that my wife didn't leave me. (so far at least)

The stuff that gets me down is:

a. physical pain & misery (this is pretty much constant)
    b. frustration. dropping things & being clumsy, struggling with everything
    c. lots of anger towards what I perceive is inhumane apathy and "go slow" mantra of researchers. This is actually the most infuriating thing in my life right now... by far.
    d. legal/insurance/bullshit issues. These will be resolved sooner or later.
    e. confidence, self esteem and body image issues.

all in all though, I think I'm doing better that I could have possibly imagined the day after my SCI. Looking forward to getting out of this chair though... I hope it's within 2-3 years and I think it will be. It's definitely my biggest motivator for coping day to day.

Starlight, you've posed this question about five different ways in various formats / topics.

Is there something you're trying to get off your chest as the cliche goes or are you looking for a specific answer?

Onward and Upward!

I give myself a 7. To be quite honest, after discovering this board, I give myself a 20.

I would give myself between a 4 and a 6. I have high expectations to get out of this thing in the near future but continue to live well day to day. I don't enjoy it though, and would never give myself a 20...This was based on how I see myself, not in relation to others.

i dont mind answering these threads, starlight,,,it gives me cause to evalute myself...ok,,,i am 20 years post so i must be coping at a 7 level overall...the neverending struggle to make the rent and all when my ssdi is so low but cant afford to get a fulltime job gets frustrating...but it is a challenge...frustration levels rise due to the facts of being sci, of course, but like the other dude im t-5 so i am independent which is important to me...things could be better...i could have enuff $ to raise my living standard and have some of the kewl crip stuff...i could stand to have a g/f to listen to me bitch...get out of HUD housing and away from the 27 kids that live in my 8=plex...but i'm fed,,,have a roof...so life is kewl

Starlight,

I'm glad you posted this question, even if it might be the 5th or 100th time you've asked because not everyone might have had the opportunity to answer or read the answers.

To answer your question..

Personally, I'm about at 4 or 5. For being paralyzed for only 7 months now I feel I'm doing way better than I ever thought I would be. I still freak out once in awhile but count my blessings everyday. It's difficult to lose a part of you and not mourn or yearn for it.

SCI effects the whole of me; life, love, money, etc. But life goes on, it's what you choose to make of it-right?

Have a super day

I didn't really explain myself...

I give myself a 20 because my life is wonderful and I couldn't ask for more. As far as coping with SCI, what's there really to cope with? I've been at this for a long time and feel that I have adapted exceptionally well. I have absolutely NO time to sit and ponder my disability, how long I've been at it, and what I'm going to do when my "anniversary" comes around again. I'm telling you nicely but firmly, life is too dang short for that stuff. Between going to work, spending time with the love of my life, and enjoying time with my family, I see NO need in feeling sorry for myself, what I used to be, etc. I believe there comes a point in your life where you have to accept who you are and make the best of what you've got. Go ahead, flame away.

I survived my accident. SCI used to be 100% fatal once. Thank God thats not the case anymore. Everyday alive for me is pure profit. 7.

I'd give myself a 3.5. Can't stand the fact that I can't get my body to do what I want it to do.

Deb