Thread: Need Recommendation...

Need Recommendation...

We are setting up our home for my 37 year old brother, who is a quad, since November. A bathroom and living/bedroom area is beinging built. What type of bed should we buy? What about a shower chair? Anything else he may need?
    Thank you!

What type of shower are you putting in? Is it a roll-in shower? If so, I would recommend looking at some of the shower/commode chairs from ActiveAid.

What level of injury is your brother? An adjustable bed is best for most people with tetraplegia as it allows him to raise the head for activities in bed and also in case he gets AD. Be sure he is able to independently control the head elevation, either with a pendant control or with an ECU. What kind of budget are you considering for this? A hospital bed is not necessarily the best, but if he needs an ECU, many regular (non-hospital) adjustable beds will not work. Also, be sure to get a bed that will allow a floor lift to fit underneath. Even if you are putting in ceiling track lifts, it is good to have this for a back-up in case the ceiling track lift does not work. The mattress is also a critical decision, as he may need one that turns him if he is unable to turn himself, and it should be pressure reducing to decrease his risks for pressure ulcers.

(KLD)

Thank you for your reply. There sure is a lot to consider. He is a quad, t4. Has upper body control. So he should be able to get himself in and out of bed without assistance. We shouldn't have to worry about cost, as it will be covered by workmans comp. I am sure we will get some recomendation from his doctor, which is what workmans comp will need, however, we want to be informed, know all of our options. With this information, what do you think would be best for the bed?
    Thank you again!!

If his injury is T4 he has a paraplegic injury, not quadriplegic (tetraplegic). Most people at this level of injury do not require a hospital bed, but may like an adjustable bed for convenience.

A roll-in shower is really wonderful and if Worker's Comp will pay for it, get this. Be sure that it is properly designed, tiled appropriately, and properly sloped. Heat should be from the ceiling (not wall heaters). The sink should be wall mounted or a vanity with leg room underneath, and the trap has to be insulated. Put in extra storage in the bathroom as he will need space for catheters, bowel care equipment, etc. Be sure mirrors and medicine cabinets are at wheelchair height.

I would not depend on his doctor to make recommendations for equipment. Most doctors, including rehab doctors, are clueless about this. Does he have a rehab nurse case manager from his worker's comp company? They should help, but generally a PT and OT with a lot of SCI experience will be the best to recommend both home modifications and appropriate equipment to purchase.

Be sure to get exercise equipment for him from WC too. Check out the Exercise Forum for some recommendations. An FES bike would be ideal, as well as at least one sports chair (tennis, basketball, hand bike, etc. according to his interests).

(KLD)

My other post got screwed up.

I'm 10 1/2 years post injury (C6 SCI)
    I use a store bought mattress with a layer of eggcrate foam on top. I sleep on my back all night. In 10 1/2 years of using this method I have had no trouble with pressures sores.