Originally posted by Cory:
So my questions are-
1. Can you still sue anyone after 5 years and 2 months have passed
UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES THERE IS A ONE OR TWO YEAR STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS ON ANY LAWSUITS FROM MVAs.
2. If I got a settlement from the lady who cut us off's insurance does that keep me from doing anything in the future
QUESTION IS TOO VAGUE. IF YOU MEAN CAN YOU SUE AGAIN THE GENERAL ANSWER IS NO.
3. Could I realisticly sue honda for not having a headrest in the back of a I think 1996 honda civic
SEE ANSWER TO QUESTION ONE.
4. Could I sue the lady who cut us off, I was told that since our vehicles never touched it would be hard to prove in court and she doesnt have any money anyway
SEE ANSWER TO QUESTION ONE AND BESIDES, IT WOULD BE THROWING GOOD MONEY AFTER BAD.
5. In any case would my friends who were in the car with me have to be a witness or anything or even know about it
ANY LAWSUIT YOU BROUGHT THAT WOULD NOT DIRECTLY INVOLVE THEM WOULD BE YOUR BUSINESS AND UNLESS THEY WATCHED THE CIVIL SUIT FILINGS PUBLISHED BY THE COURT THEY WOULD NOT HAVE TO KNOW.
6. if by taking a settlement I lost my chances for any future lawsuit, could I bring up that my uncle handled it really without me knowing at the time
A SETTLEMENT USUALLY ENDS ANY CHANCE AT FUTURE COMPENSATION UNLESS YOU CAN PROVE GROSS NEGLIGENCE ON YOUR UNCLE'S PART OR COLLUSION BETWEEN HIM AND THE INSURANCE COMPANY.
7. I was also told if I got a large settlement my hmo would take it all anyway to pay for my medical expenses, is that true
YOUR MEDICAL EXPENSES SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION AT THE TIME YOUR UNCLE WAS NEGOTIATING A SETTLEMENT. IF DONE CORRECTLY, THE SETTLEMENT SHOULD HAVE COVERED YOUR MEDICAL EXPENSES, PAID YOUR UNCLE, AND PROVIDED FOR YOUR FUTURE NEEDS.
Thanks a lot, I know some of you went to law school and might know this
stuff. I don't really "need" the money I would probably just pay my parents back for college and use it for my aids and extra medical stuff and donate the rest to research, and I wouldn't feel as guilty taking money from a big corporation that claims to have the best safety record but builds little cheap plastic p's.o.s
[This message was edited by Cory on Jul 18, 2002 at 05:41 PM.]
[This message was edited by Cory on Jul 18, 2002 at 05:43 PM.]