Thread: Wants to Dance

Wants to Dance

Hi Everyone,
    I was reading about the dance company in Quebec that Max posted about and it made me think about the dilemna that we have going on here. My daughter wants to take dance lessons. She is a AISA D para, who walks- rides a bike- and after 18 months of therapy can keep up a running gait on a treadmill for almost two minutes (as long as she can see herself in a mirror!)

None-the-less her limitations (proprioception- sensory- weakness- chronic pain- limited stamina) made the only studio head I have so far approached with this tend to think that she would not be a good candidate for group lessons with other teens. The teacher wished to put my daughter with little kids, or in some kind of private lessons. I intend to keep looking, but I need some ammo, or parhaps some contacts or something. I'm not sure *I* am ready for this, but I gave up telling this young woman what she can or can't do a good long while ago.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

M.Elston Mother of a teen who no longer wishes to be identified by her injury. **rolling eyes**

"No longer wishes to be identified by her injury"

I don't blame her. She is, first and foremost, an otherwise normal kid who just wants to be treated like everybody else.

What is the dance instructor afraid of? That she'll hurt herself and the studio will be liable? Putting her in the little kid class is an insult; private lessons will only isolate her further. I don't see what is wrong with letting her attend the teen class on a trial basis, just to give her a taste of reality and to see if she really can hack it.

I hope the two of you find a dance instructor who will be willing to give her a chance. I'm not sure if the ADA can apply to kids taking lessons. Anyone can weigh in on this?

You might try contacting your local ILC as well. They may have better info on the accessibility issues.

Hi!

Wheelchair dancesport resource list
    June 11, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For people inclined to give wheelchair dancesport a whirl, the following groups are contacts across the country that might prove to be good starting points:

Cleveland Ballet Dancing Wheels
    Cleveland, OH
    (216) 432-0306
    http://www.gggreg.com/dancingwheels.htm

Full Radius Dance
    Atlanta, GA
    (404) 724-9663
    http://www.fullradiusdance.org/home.htm

Light Motion
    Seattle, WA
    (206) 328-0818

Dance Ability/Joint Forces Dance Co.
    Eugene, OR
    (541) 342-3273
    www.streamcommunication.com/danceability/indexHiTech.html

Axis Dance Company
    Oakland, CA
    (510) 625-0110
    www.axisdance.org

Ballet Arts Theatre
    Denver, CO
    (303) 825-7570

Physically Handicapped Amateur Musical Actors League (PHAMLy)
    Denver, CO
    (303) 575-0005
    www.phamaly-colorado.org/indexmain.html

If you click this link, you can get all these links plus stories related to dance. Its from a place called www.ican.com

http://www.ican.com/news/fullpage.cf...DF9EC32F3DA21E

Good luck, your daughter deserves to persue her dreams! Even if she doesn't "need" aa chair all the time, these ogs are for disabled, or can point you to one. take care Mom

Also,

I do know there are classes for all levels /ages at Cleveland. Be sure to check out their webpage and click on "classes". Good luck!

Professional Flair/Dancing Wheels was established in 1989 as a nonprofit arts/disability organization that works to introduce, integrate and employ people with and without disabilities in professional careers, primarily in the arts. Through its most prominent division, Dancing Wheels, the organization provides classes, lecture/performances and main stage concerts throughout the United States, reaching 150,000 + people annually. Dancing Wheels is an integrated dance company comprised of professional dancers with and without disabilities. Our highly skilled stand-up and sit-down (wheelchair) dancers utilize the arts as a vehicle to broaden thinking and resolve issues of inclusion faced by people with disabilities. Over the life of the organization, the name "Dancing Wheels" has become recognized in both the arts and disability communities - it stands for equality and inclusion with an emphasis on the quality and professionalism of its unique artistry.
    The 2002 Theatre Arts Camp Workshop is presented as part of a series of artistic performance and events that unite the arts and disability communities in an effort to make the arts accessible and available to all people of all abilities. Major funding and support for this program is provided by The George W. Codrington Charitable Foundation, The Ford Foundation, Invacare Corporation, Martha Holden Jennings Foundation, National Endowment for the Art and the Ohio Arts Council.