View Poll Results:

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a Christian

17 65.38%
  • I am an athiest

5 19.23%
  • I am an idiot who makes up my own religion karma b.s. etc.

3 11.54%
  • I never read or understand the bible but claim i have and use other false statements to criticize it because i beleive i am the supreme God

0 0%
  • I am a muslim woship the moon god allah and will kill inocent people to get 72 virgins in hell

1 3.85%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Religion

i'm a Christian; i definately feel that Christianity gets such a bad rep b/c SOOO many people like to make it a list of do's & don'ts, focusing on the things in this culture that scripture teaches 'against.'

that's such an obnoxious mentality --> it's the difference between "do" & "done" - it's NOT "do this, don't do that" - it's simply accepting what Christ has done through His love... & then any given individual's life, whose heart has truely been affected, will simply be a reflection of Christ's love, through actions, words, etc..

don't rail me for this - it's just my take on it.

Originally posted by Sue Pendleton:

Do female Muslims get 72 male virgins when they martyr themselves? I may have to change my beliefs if they do.
    Who wants a male virgin? Even after 72 of them I doubt a woman would feel satisfied. Give me a man with experience who knows what he needs to do! [/QUOTE]

So we're going on the theory that that men are unteachable? I guess you just may have a point in this particular area. So many of them mix up inches and centimeters when it comes to rulers...

absolutely Blueduck...

...I know of many "Christians" who live their lives with the knowledge that Jesus is always with them. They take the good they have learned in the Bible and have applied it to their own lives. Sounds like this is what you have done and I admire and in a way envy you for it.

However...many "Christians" like the idiot who started this thread use the Bible and its words to support their own misguided "human" beliefs.

I mean, I could actually respect the opinion of not liking homosexuality because the person thought it gross...or because in their minds it spreads desease and immorality. I'd say they were misguided but at least I could respect that opinion a little bit.

However, when the only reason givin for hating homosexuality is because "the Bible told them so", well...that gets my gander up....and imho it is one of the most lame-butt reasons and a homophobic cop-out. For them it must be very convieniant to be able to "hate" in the name of God.

Why is it that those Christians who denounce homosexuality base their belief on a passage in Leviticus, yet when they're asked why they don't follow all the Levitical rules claim that the coming of Jesus rendered the Original Testament laws moot? Who decided which parts of Leviticus they can pick to follow? Why aren't they keeping kosher, and not wearing mixed fabrics?

StarlightAngel

"Give me a man with experience who knows what he needs to do!"
    May I have one too, please?

Seriously, religion can be a powerful source of comfort or and extremely destructive force. Too often beliefs are misused to justify oppression and subjugation of others. All religions hold truths if only people would open themselves to different ways of seeing God.

Originally posted by BEN:

"Give me a man with experience who knows what he needs to do!"
    May I have one too, please?

Seriously, religion can be a powerful source of comfort or and extremely destructive force. Too often beliefs are misused to justify oppression and subjugation of others. All religions hold truths if only people would open themselves to different ways of seeing God.
    So do the different freethought traditions.

Not saying there's anything inherently constructive or destructive as far as religion. For those who believe, it's an intensely personal experience. For those of us who don't, it's just another interesting cultural phenomenon.

LOLOLOL

Sue:
    So we're going on the theory that that men are unteachable? I guess you just may have a point in this particular area. So many of them mix up inches and centimeters when it comes to rulers...
    Ditto!

...It's the heart afraid of breaking,that never learns to dance... It's the dream afraid of waking that never takes the chance... It's the one who won't be taken, who cannot seem to give, and the soul afraid of dyin'... That never learns to live...

just my general opinion

i noticed Christian was left out of starlights poll and it turned into mostly Christian hate post.

bear1019 just read starlights poll then ask yourself again do they call others idiots or just imply it?

Martha says
    many are good, some are bad, and some are so ignorant that they post insulting polls.

cc
    i couldnt agree more i can post ignorance right up there with the rest of you. from reading marthas post i thought she had the only perfect religion?

starlight says
    What are you trying to determine with your choice of options?

cc
    nothing im just trolling like you, did you discover something from your poll?

Learn to spell "atheist", at least. A T H E I S T thanks

scorpion says
    This kind of thing is what gives good people who are Christians a bad name. Yes, I know some good people who happen to be Christian, my parents for instance. And no, they don't go around trying to convert people. Nor do they insult every other religion like this poll does.

cc
    true this was not a very Christian thing to do but im not perfect.

....to the person who started this thread.

paradude says
    Spoken like a true Christian Zealot. How many stonings in the name of your God did you attend today?

cc
    just attended starlights stoning of Christians am throwing a few rocks back.

jenmar, i have no use for people going door to door with anything myself.

sue says
    Do female Muslims get 72 male virgins when they martyr themselves? I may have to change my beliefs if they do.

this may be a fabricated story: npr news reported one of the high jackers reported from his new home in hell that he received 72 virgin goats.

blueduck, i agree people get stuck in the do's & dont's but what agravates me is a lot of people criticizing others for things they have no understanding of im guilty of it myself.

paradude says
    However...many "Christians" like the idiot who started this thread use the Bible and its words to support their own misguided "human" beliefs.

cc there are many misguided human beliefs in these post imo just wonder why are so many attacking Christians?

paradude says
    I mean, I could actually respect the opinion of not liking homosexuality because the person thought it gross...or because in their minds it spreads desease and immorality. I'd say they were misguided but at least I could respect that opinion a little bit.

cc
    ok its gross it spreads desease and its immoral. there is no way it can be described as pure & natural.

alan says
    Why is it that those Christians who denounce homosexuality base their belief on a passage in Leviticus, yet when they're asked why they don't follow all the Levitical rules claim that the coming of Jesus rendered the Original Testament laws moot? Who decided which parts of Leviticus they can pick to follow? Why aren't they keeping kosher, and not wearing mixed fabrics?

cc
    homosexuality is still an abomination in the new testament.

ben says,
    omiting his first statement lol

cc
    this is true to a point no one but God knows who will be in his kingdom.

I beleive in Jesus and only 1 God and no pagan gods. i do not appreciate reading all the false post about Christians and the bible. my beliefs will not change but if you got a perfect religion tell us about it dont just say how wrong Christians are and how right you are.

Originally posted by CLC379:

i noticed Christian was left out of starlights poll and it turned into mostly Christian hate post.
    CLC, I did not use the names of ANY particular religion in my survey. If you reread my original survey you notice that "Christian" would have been included under "one particular organized religion". Christianity, Judaism, Islam are *all* organized religions. Most of the respondents were able to see that for themselves.

Yes, I did discover what I wanted to: that the people on this forum (or those that responded to my question) were pretty much evenly divided as to the extent of their beliefs, and extremely varied as to *what* they believe.

Nowhere did I interpret anybody's response as a "hate post", Christian or otherwise.

CLC...

....figures that if anyone critizes Christianity then they must hate the concept. Wrong!