Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am concerned about this

Am concerned about this

My son works in a convenience store. His boss thinks he is really great and is thinking of promoting him to Assistant Manager. She even started the ball rolling by teaching him some of the things he will deal with as part of his job. She has told him on several occassions that she likes having him working the night shift.

Well, as everyone knows, when nighttime comes around all the "cockroaches" start to appear. By saying "cockroaches", I mean the thieves and other such people.

Yesterday he worked day shift. He came home in the afternoon and told us of an incident that happened in the store. Someone had come in to do a "beer run" at around 4AM. The man had the gall to ask the clerk if it would be a problem if he took the beer w/o paying. The clerk told him it would. Well, the man picked up his shirt and showed a gun to the clerk. The clerk told him to do whatever. It seems that my son has also had them do some beer runs while he has also worked night shift. He has tried to put things in the way out so they will have a harder time to run out quickly. He even has messed around with the beer boxes so they will open while they run out. He and the other clerks have orders not to do anything to stop these people so they won't get hurt. It makes them feel so angry that someone can just come in and rip off things and they just have to stand there and do nothing.

The thing is that they are getting more daring in doing it. The business doesn't have any security person to hang around there. So the clerks are pretty much on their own. Now, the clerk who had this happen to him has quit. Can't say that I blame him. Problems is that now my son's wife and I are even more worried about him getting shot or hurt in some way. Last night I had nightmares about him too. I don't want to have him hurt or killed. I think of his wife and baby and that worries me even more. Sure wish I could do something to help him avoid the possible threat of getting hurt.

Sorry to ramble on, just needed to vent.

Raven

Geee... thats nice to hear

I thought I was the alien whoms mom have a nervous breakdown if the night hits and I'm out... I know its diferent but stil.

Raven, why don't you both talk to him, maybe if he realizes how the family feels, he'l reconsider the promotion or might get some security implented

...It's the heart afraid of breaking,that never learns to dance... It's the dream afraid of waking that never takes the chance... It's the one who won't be taken, who cannot seem to give, and the soul afraid of dyin'... That never learns to live...

Raven

I wish I could reassure you, but it sounds like a pretty dangerous job. I have had two patients who were clerks or owners of convenience stores and were shot and got their SCIs during robbery attempts.

I am sure this is a good job, but while he is doing it perhaps he could use some of his daytime hours to look for another job that is a little safer.

sorry for scaring you more, but the facts is that
    convenience store clerks is one of the most dangerous jobs.
    i think alaska fishing and taxi cabs drivers are the only
    2 ranked higher.

other high risk jobs are;
    law enforcment
    firefighting
    lumber cutting
    mining
    pilots
    sci researcher if they dont release the damn cure.

Raven

I would suggest you sway him to look into a different job if at all possible. It is not worth the risk, especially for what most clerks get paid.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I am a computer "SPAZ"

I would really welcome any thing anyone has to say. I am a critical care RN who has just recently had a new para change my life. I don't spend alot of time on the computer and can't figure out even how to send a msg

cosmo

Cosmo

Post you're experience on the Relationships and Sex board, we would be interested in hearing how this Para changed you're life, hopefully it was for the better.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

To make it worse....

Now my daughter-in-law is going to start working in the same place too. I just can't believe how things sometimes turn out.

Thing is that she needs to work so they can meet their financial expenses so she accepted it. Now I just hope and pray that nothing bad happens to either one of them. What else can I do?

Curtis,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am going to talk with them both now and hope they listen to me. Am also hoping that their is a change here, jobs are really getting scarce. Living in the bordertown has become harder now since most of the plants and other businesses are downsizing. Apparently, Clinton's idea of NAFTA didn't take us into consideration and therefore there is so much unemployed people here. But I am sure things will get better in time.

Raven

Convenience store clerks

In Florida a few years ago the State passed a law that required that all convenience stores that are open 24 hours a day must have two people work during evening and overnight hours. The industry complained mightily about the law but relented, and crimes in convenience stores during night hours dropped by 40%.

I know that there are other security recommendations for stores, and I would mention these to your son to see if his employer complies with them. These include not stacking merchandise near the door, making sure that the big glass windows in the front of the store are clear and not covered up with signs, having a security camera clearly visible, well-lit store and surrounding parking lot, etc. Basically criminals will go to the place where they are least likely to encounter trouble or be caught. Make his store unappealing and they will go somewhere else. - Joe