Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floor to chair transfers

Floor to chair transfers

I know recently there was a post on here about floor to chair transfers. I haven't been able to find it. My husband functions at a C7 level and after I read the posts on here, I asked him to go to rehab and ask if he can learn how to do a floor to chair transfer. Well, the first day he tried, they said they didn't think at his level he could do it but they had him try to lift his butt off the floor. He seemed to amaze everyone that he lifted it 10" off the ground. Not enought to get in his chair, but good for the first try. Now today, he went back for another session and they informed him that at his level, it was impossible to do a transfer like that. He told them to "not count him out" that he would learn it himself on his own. They said impossible. If we would have listened to the rehab from the beginning, Jeff would not be as far as he is now. We have proved them wrong so many times. I thought I remembered people at his level that can do a floor to chair transfer. I know it may take us some time, but we are going to work on it at home to prove that you cannot tell someone that it is impossible. We are tired of them telling us that these things are impossible. We would greatly appreciate any advice you could give us. I personally don't even know where to begin to teach him to do this. Thanks a lot.

I have seen...

...many people at your husband's level do a floor to chair transfer. Ask some of the wheelchair rudby folks about how they do it.

And don't let your husband fall into the "it's impossible, you can't" trap. He can, and he will prevail.

jjs

In the Care forums, June 08 (JumpinJ) and June 10th (Phillis) both posted similar threads. The answers are there.

Check there.

In the future you can use the "search" icon above (under post a reply) and plug in your search word. I asked for "floor transfers" and got numerous hits. Then start reading. Or if you know who posted an answer that you found helpful then find that member and click on their "profile". Once on their profile you have an option to "view posts by this member". Click on that and again start reading. (some have 100's of posts).

And finally when you find the desired thread / response you might want to add it to your computer "favorites" file.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Onward and Upward!

Chris

I did do a search but I put in floor to chair transfers and it came up saying there were too many results. I didn't think of floor transfers. Anyway, I did get a helpful email with the link to those posts. Thanks.

I get up on my knees

Facing the wheelchair, it feels as if I am standing on leg braces, then I push with my arms and twist at the same time and get my left hip on the edge of the seat of the chair, once I have the hip anchored on the edge I am home free and just slide the rest of the way into the chair. It took a lot of practice (plus strong arms) but at this point I just pop back in the chair.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

transfer

The therapist like the MDs are very conservative, casue they fear a legal suite, if you fall trying. They always say it can't be done, but it can and you will soon be able to do it!

bump for Stiggy i.e. Care question.

JJS,

Yes, your husband can do this transfer. I am a c5-6 with somereturn of c7 function and I can do it, and have been doing it for over 18 years. All he needs to do is get stronger and learn the technique. There are several methods. I'll try to explain mine. I've already promised Claire to get this on the NI website so hopefully you can view by video soon.

Here is my verbal explanation.

First, have your husband take his cushion off of the chair and place it on the right or left hand side of the chair (my right side is my strongest arm so I place it on the right side.) The cushion should be placed so that his butt is parallel to the front quarter of his rear wheel. He then needs to sit on the cushion as he attempts the transfer (this avoids skin breakdown issues, once he's in the chair he can transfer onto something else to put the pad back on). By sitting on the cushion it also puts him higher in the air for initial take off.

He then needs to secure his brakes and caster locks (this is the only manuever that I have found a use for caster locks, but I do use them here). He then needs to bend/pull his knees up into his chest with his feet flat on the ground in front of him. The back heel of his feet should be parallel to his front casters. Now he needs to place his right hand on the ground parallel to the back of the heel of his foot. He then needs place his left arm up onto the front center of his chair. Leaning forward onto his feet he then needs to press up with his right and left triceps leaning forward lifting his butt into the air. He wants to keep lifting on this press until his butt is as high as hischair andcan clear the front of the rear wheel. Once he is high enough and has clearance, he needs to shift his weight to the left, swinging his butt over onto the edge of the seat. Once he's on theedge of theseat, he needs to press back until his butt is all of the way onto the seat, at which time he the walks his hands up the chair until he is in seating position.

Alright, I know you are saying, "huh?" "This guys a friggin' lawyer and that's the best description he can provide?" Fair enough, I'll see if we can shoot the video at NI and get it on video soon. It really is easier than it sounds. In the meantime . . . get a new PT. I've never had one tell me I can't do anything . . . except walk . . and even then I'm not so sure he's still real confident in that one.

I'll let you know when the video is up. In the meantime check out NI's website at www.theneuroinstitute.com for other exercise info.

jjs,

I wish your husband the best and I hope he continues to get stronger.

larwatson,

I don't know if I would be so quick to say that somebody can or cannot do something. I'm not trying to be discouraging, but just like our SCIs, everybody's bodies are different. I was 6 foot preSCI, and try as I may, I could not dunk a basketball. Lots of other 6 footers could, but my body wouldn't allow me to - even after years of lifting weights and strengthening my legs. Regardless of level or strength, some people have physical limitations that cannot be overcome. That doesn't mean that people shouldn't bust their asses trying, but they also shouldn't feel like failures because they can't accomplish the same physical feats as another.

Originally posted by cjo:

I don't know if I would be so quick to say that somebody can or cannot do something. I'm not trying to be discouraging, but just like our SCIs, everybody's bodies are different. I was 6 foot preSCI, and try as I may, I could not dunk a basketball. Lots of other 6 footers could, but my body wouldn't allow me to - even after years of lifting weights and strengthening my legs. Regardless of level or strength, some people have physical limitations that cannot be overcome. That doesn't mean that people shouldn't bust their asses trying, but they also shouldn't feel like failures because they can't accomplish the same physical feats as another.
    Fair enough CJO. But I've yet to meet an active c7 that's been in their chair for awhile that can't do this transfer. What we are talking about is primarily technique, not strength.

For those who can't. Fine, they can't. There's nothing wrong with that. But telling someone they can't after one try? That's bogus. I would rather tell somewbody that they can do something than that they can't. The fact that this guy can lift his butt ten inches off of the floor on the first attempt tells me he can do this. If I'm wrong. So what? I'm wrong. It won't be the first time and I'm quite sure it won't be the last. But at least he'll have tried and failed based upon his own effort andknowledge. . . and not always wondering "what if" because some guy told him he can't.

Each failure you learn from leads you one step closer to success. Don't fear failure. Without tasting it you will never know your limitations or . . . more importantly . . . your capabilities.

BTW: Didn't anybody ever tell you that white men can't jump?