Thread: Moment of Impact

Moment of Impact

There was a thread last week concerning the anniversary of our accidents.

Given some of the answers it made we wonder:

Let's say its the moment of impact and instead of being injured you got up and walked away. Where would your life be now? What things would have been different in your life? Decisions? Careers? etc.

And more importantly based upon your answers how many things had to be done as an able-bodied person? (school, jobs, relationships). Or could you / have you done everything you set out to do?

Onward and Upward!

Well, I would not be sitting here in a city 8 hours from where I would have been. I would have been halfway throuh my nursing degree. I would most likly be enjoying this beautiful weather by swimming, camping, hiking. I probably wouldn't have been single for the last year ( I hope...). And thats just a few things...
    But hey, now I'm registered at the university in the fall. I went to the park today.
    But SCI is sure a bitch.

But...I'd love to be sitting on a hot beach drinking an icy cold beer before jumping in an icy cold lake...

I just would have gone back to work as usual. If I didn´t get hurt, it would have been a funny event and would have been quickly forgotten. I´d have been back in the rat race, doing the AB thing, and concentrating on paying bills, and so on. To think I would have had some kind of flash of inspiration because of not getting injured would be unrealistic.

Then again, if I was driving a motorcycle and smashed it up bad and walked away unscathed, or flipped a car a few times and walked out without a scratch, I very well might think differently. Such as weather to ever ride a bike again, for example

anywhere but here...

i wouldnt be here....hard to say where i would be by now. i never stayed places too long. some southern state running a muck. jumping jobs, jumping states...just touring. i wasnt ready to stay still, not ready to settle down.

but hey now i am starting college ... who would have ever guessed.

Unfortunatly the things I love the most require full body movement so... I'd be a pilot that ice skates as a hobby, goes mountain biking A LOT, dies to scuba dive or snorkle evey weekend, travel a lot (all though thats still possible) But being a Pilot would have been the major part. Sports always make me happy and the ocean is my element... funny enough... is also where I got injured.

...It's the heart afraid of breaking,that never learns to dance... It's the dream afraid of waking that never takes the chance... It's the one who won't be taken, who cannot seem to give, and the soul afraid of dyin'... That never learns to live...

If I had walked away from my Accident?

I would still have brain damage from impacting my face on the metal dashboard. For some of us, SCI is only part of our problem. Barring that, I would probably be working on my third or fourth manuscript while touring to promote my previous work. I understand there are still a lot of Dr. Who fans around the world. And that vacation trip to the Land Down Under would have been tax deductible!

Either that or I would have gone back to preparing sales tax returns and fighting audit assessments. Boring work but satisfying, especially when you get the final assessment which is usually half or less than the initial one.

"And so it begins."

Originally posted by Chris:

Let's say its the moment of impact and instead of being injured you got up and walked away. Where would your life be now? What things would have been different in your life? Decisions? Careers? etc.
    My life would be 1000% different. If I had walked away from my SCI I would probably be:

1) living in a loft in the city doing something artistic for a living.

2) being a professional musician and touring with my band.

3) living in a loft in the city doing something artistic for a living while doing occasional weekend gigs with my band.

Yeah, you could say everything on my list would have required being able-bodied, or even at least semi-functional. Now even the most basic thing I would have wished to accomplish - like living by myself or being financially independent - are way beyond my reach.

I'd have finished my B.Sci., taken the foreign service officer test for the State Dept that Fall and now be somewhere like Mongolia, Tajikistan or, if I somehow scored bigtime, Prague. Add a child to that too. And no, you can't finish a degree at UMUC in Europe because the buildings are from WW2 and don't have elevators. And camels don't have lifts in Mongolia. My husband would be skinnier and I'd have a closet of high heels.

Where would your life be now?

FAST MOTORCYCLES, CARS, RACE TRACKS AND FAST WOMEN

LIVE IT UP AND LIVE IT LARGE!!!!

Sue, great answer. Love the husband and the heels.

For myself I would have been relocated in the fall of 2000 (my accident was in June) as was pretty standard for wall street mgmt types. I was interviewing for a job in Australia when I was injured so I might've wound up in Sydney for 2yrs or so.

By now my wife would've been pregnant or we would've adopted.

My adventure side had included the Eco Challenge (I had applied prior to my injury) and possibly Raid Goullaise(sp) and I was really looking forward to getting back into running / snowshoeing. I literally had a 20k running race scheduled for the Saturday after my injury.

Fixing up / restoring old cars and working around the house and with the neighbors on various projects.

I could go on as could we all. Overall, I liked my life. With sci I don't like my life. Too much upheaval too fast. And too many limitations.

Sigh.

Onward and Upward!