Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of yourself?

What do you think of yourself?

Here's another question...

What do you think of yourself? Do you "roll proud" or do you try to blend in with the woodwork?

I hope you "roll proud!!!!!"

Teena

I roll proud...

...roll with the punches...and Rock and Roll.

Am I proud to be paralyzed? No freakin way. Am I proud of myself for the way I handled this paralysis thing? Yup, I've worked hard to be as able as possible, I want AB's to see me for the things I can still do rather than the things I can't, for the most part I have been successful doing just that.

"Life is like a poker game, a pair of 9's can still beat a straight flush if you know how to play the game".

Whoa, ParaDudeCan...

Hey, I didn't mean were you proud to be paralyzed! I meant are you proud to be YOU? (I don't see chairs, ok?)...

I am sure a lot of folks are proud to be alive, considering the alternative...but I know that sci is not a Sunday School Picnic!!!

Thanks for being honest!

Teena

Hehe Teena...

...I didn't see your question as being "proud to be paralyzed", but if I would have just posted what I did then there are a few here who would have accused me of just that...had to clear that up before the vultures swooped in.

I liked your question

I am extremely proud of myself. My first thought after my accident, was that I can't live this way. But having 2 preteens at home gave me the strength to go on and make a life for me and them the best way that I could. I worked really hard at making my life as normal as possible. I went back to work and am still employed with the same company 15 years later. My preteens grew up and now have families of their own. I remarried and had another baby. He's 7 now. I still have days every now and then when I'm down in the dumps, but who doesn't?
    I roll around everyday like I don't have a worry in the world. The last thing I ever wanted was for anyone to feel sorry for me, and because of my attitude and good spirits, no one does.

Would I rather not be in this chair? Of course, but I'm trying to make the best of bad situation. And I'm doing it with a smile.

i see myself proud and then....i leave the house and go into the real world and leave my own world and BAM! it hits me....
    give me more time and i think i will be ..ok.. with this

I know what you mean Shanna.

I feel normal only when I am:

a. At home
    b. Eating with friends (ie: we all sit and see eye level)
    c. When I'm driving.

Other than that I feel very uncomfortable all the time. I can't stand people trying to help me all the time & I'm really not comfortable drawing any attention to myself... which is inevitable of course. Even though I try to act confident and happy, I am not inside... if I keep acting this way maybe eventually I will even feel like it. Despite feeling this way, I refuse to hide at home.

I can see how SCI can make someone really withdraw & isolate themselves from the world.

You'll be fine Shanna...

...you are right...time does make it easier.

Roll proud

Time does make it easier but being out brings more visibility of sci to the ab community. Imo, that's a good thing. Keeps 'em thinkin and they can't ignore or avoid me / us.

I completely understand the isolation tendencies but I don't think that helps us in any way physically, spiritually, emotionally. Out of sight is definitely out of mind and I don't want any of us out of anyone's mind.

Onward and Upward!

Actually, I think of myself as a normal person. I don't see anything heroic about my normal boring life: married, pregnant, working full time, with mortgage and car payments, 401K plans, and laundry to do.

There's no point in attempting to hide something that isn't shameful. Why isolate yourself when there is so much to do, see, and experience in the world?

I am 22 years post injury, so maybe my viewpoint is a little different than the newly injured.