Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: that prking space thing

that prking space thing

charlie is back in rehab 2 days a week again and to day we get there (in the rain) and there is a car in the only hc spot, ok i just take 2 spaces.
    no we are inside and i am watching who leaves, the man and woman who get in the car in the space are ok except he has had rotater cuff surgery so i can see why he has to have a hc sticker and us that space, because the space next to it was at least 3 steps farther to walk. this frys my ass i wish the eople who are in charge would have to live this way just one day. this was not bad, like at the mall or grocery store, but i am sure these use it there also.

Unfortunately, this is a very common thing these days. I have to get to work by 0700, or I won't get a handicapped parking space. In this particular building, there is only one ramp and the disabled parking spaces are in a separate lot clustered in front of this entrance. Which means I cannot park anywhere else, since I can't get up the steps. This is a government facility, so getting them to correct the situation will take forever, even though they are aware of the situation.

Of course, 99.9% of the people parking in these disabled spaces do not need the ramp, so they are screwing those of us who do. But they have valid tags/plates, so they are legally allowed to park there.

I can't give you any other advice other than 1) deal with the frustration (I am not saying that I am particularly good at this either) and 2) lobby the DMV and the AMA to change their asinine way of giving anyone disabled tags/plates.

Good luck!

This topic gets my blood boiling! It just feels like a neverending battle. This morning my pca was telling me about the concert she is going to tonight. Then she told me that her mom offered her 'the placard' so she'd get a good parking spot. You should have seen my reaction. I'll find out tomorrow where she parked.
    This whole issue just angers me. Someone needs to teach the doctors who issue these placards that age and weight are NOT handicap parking worthy!

My placard expires this month. Does that mean I'm cured?

(Hope this comment doesn't start that whole care versus cure debate because I'm really tired of that topic! )

I agree with all of you. This has happened to me so many times, and each time it gets more and more frustrating. People can get placards for having a broken finger, that's so stupid! I think that if there's nothing wrong with your legs, and you can walk that extra 10 feet, you shouldn't be able to get a placard. I get so mad at my friends when they suggest using it just to get a good parking space, when I'm not even going to get out of the car. They should make the rule more strict, there are so many of us who need those spaces, but those who don't even need them take them all!

This topic gets me going as well. I have been helping my husband into/out of cars for 25 years, which is why we seldom go out.

A couple of weeks ago, we were out and the only disabled spots were the normal car-width ones. OK if your disability is a bunion but usless for someone in a wheelchair. I must have been feeling in a particularly wicked mood, because I took both of them. Boy, did I ever get a roasting from an elderly man who wanted to park in one of the spots. I tried to explain that it would have been impossible to get my husband out of the car at all, had I used just one of the spots. He didn't want to know.

Tough. I'm sick of doing all the accommodating. If the 'authorities' (whoever they are in your town/city/state) can't clamp down on misuse of Disabled Parking spots, then I'll damn well take two if I have to.

PS - our permit is permanently in the glove box of the car. I have never even been temped to use it when I'm out in the car alone. How dare other people borrow someone's permit just so they can get a good spot. That's truly despicable.

How about this one!

Parking on one side of a wide HC parking spot so that you can get the lift out of your van, and still be within your parking spot...and have someone with a little Honda or something squeeze in beside you (inside your space) so that there is now no hope of getting back into your vehicle. I have had this happen more than once and have learned to park diagonally in the space, so that no-one will be able to park beside me!
    Funny...the tricks you have to learn just to "get by".

rtr

ihope so eep us posted.

all so i am glad to see here are rude inconsiterate(sp) people in other countries, i thought we had a lock on that.
    i know this is not a funny issue but some tims laughing at it is the only way to deal and eep your sanity.

sorry for the way this came out, f i am not real careful and proof read t looks like i type in code. it only does this on this site any one know why? it makes me crazy, you all too i guess its hard to read.

[This message was edited by shacha on Jun 18, 2002 at 07:08 PM.]

Eople always say " at least you get good parking spots now..." if they only knew!
    The whole streetside parking in front f my building is HC, and as I've seen ppl pull n, park, see me- stare until I in the staring contest! Then they move...
    just wait until I get my van...

Ptamom

Exactly.

I've decided that if there isn't a spot available then I park farther away and take two spots. It's a little extra workout but a lot less stressful than getting mad at the inconsideration of others.

My theory is that they'll get their instant karma someday and wonder why me?

Peace.

Onward and Upward!