Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The anniversary of your accident...

June 15th will never be a day we really celebrate. We are
    always thankful that we still have our 2 kids, but we also lost
    my wonderful sister-in-law on that day. Her birthday was the day
    before so it is really a tough time. It will 2 years soon.

I do look back though and think of how far Heather has come since
    then and that is kind of a cause for celebration. We try to do
    something special for the kids on that day. We just picked up our
    new dog so they have thier minds on that so maybe it will help.
    Last year our cat has kittens the day after. PLEASE don't tell me
    it will be a new animal every year?!?!

My anniversary date

is April 1. Need I say more?

"And so it begins."

14 years this June 16th... *sigh*

I used to try and just work through it and not think about it, but then things always backwashed on me days later. I liked the idea that someone posted earlier about just having a moment of silence in memory of my life and the person I used to be.

I'm currently writing an essay on this subject, which I may post later for feedback.

I DREAD IT!

I am going to have to make sure I have something planned...especially this year. It is the 5 year mark. I didn't think I would have to see this....

my anniversary

Mine was on Friday the 13th and was an extremely strange accident

No Biggie!

Some years it's passed before I noticed it. Or I know it's in a few days, then I forget till it's gone again. It's just another day, or when I do notice by looking on the calendar that day, I just think, "yup'er your lucky to be here girl", and that's about it! No Biggie! Sh*t happens!

But then again it's been 19yrs, so it's kinda old anyway, can't remember what it was like the first few years, oh yes I do, I'd party my face off, to celebrate I was still alive, cause I could've very easily been dead!

I'm in agreement with Monkeygirl. My anniversary is Dec. 22. About the first part of January I start thinking about how awesome the holidays were and remember the things I did and I think, oh hey, 12-22 came and went and I forgot it. Oh well.

I know people that break down and cry every time that time of the year rolls around. It's really not a big deal to me. Just another day. I can't spend the rest of my life crying over what I was or what I could have been. My life is awesome and my anniversary is just another day.

August 9th.
    10 years for me.

I still get a little emotional.
    Thought I would only last about 5-8 years.

The half your life in a chair point really does suck

I paid little attention to my anniversaries until then. That one sucked real bad. I'm glad PD is dreading it. I really would be bewildered by any other emotion. I bet Hockenberry actually looked forward to it, though. So he could cement in stone his wheelchair status forever or something like that. For me it was painful. I've now spent 58% of my life in a chair. I'm ready for a cure. This stopped being funny twenty-two years ago.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Jeff...

You sound so bitter. Is being a quad really that sucky for you?

I was injured at 6 years of age. I'm now 23. That means I have spent 74% of my life in a wheelchair. How would you like to grow up being a SCI? But then again, maybe that's why I'm so adapted to my situtation. Go ahead- label me anti-cure, but I wouldn't mind living out the rest of my life as a SCI.