Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The anniversary of your accident...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The anniversary of your accident...

How do you feel about it? Does anyone celebrate it? Not for having become paralyzed but, for how far you've come since your accident. I once read somewhere that the person celebrated it for that reason. They said it took them awhile to reach that point but, that now it was more of a celebration than a time to get depressed... How do you feel about that???

One day at a time...

I haven't even had an anniversery yet, this year I think it will be a very bittersweet emotional day. I am proud of what I've accomplished this last year but I miss my 'old' life.

my first anniversary was a really rough one. i know i didnt handle it well at all. i will see how my next one goes. i dont think i could ever turn it into something to "celebrate" who knows ..maybe

June 23rd

...is the anniversary date for me. Other than the first one all of them have passed without fanfare. The one that I am dreading is in 2007, that will mark that point where I will have been in my chair for half my life.

However...if DA is correct I should be walking well before then...probably at Christmas time. hehe

pd i just past my anniversary to where my life disabled
    is longer than my life as an AB.

I really don't know when exactly my anniversary is- sometime in late October. I don 't dwell on it- I have way too much crap to do these days. I have come a long way, but so have many others.

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked..."
    - Allen Ginsburg

My first one I didn't do very well with... melted down really bad for a couple of weeks and had a rough time even after that. My second one, this year, passed without incident. I didn't "celebrate" but I hope to be able to in the future. I hope to be out of this chair before too many pass though.

One day at a time...

Nowadays, anniversaries are little different than any other day. They're all torture. It'll be my 21st on June 11, and half my life two months and three days after that.

In the afternooon, if I remember, at approximately the time of the accident, I might have a moment of silence in memory of the life and ability to feel comfortable that ended at that time,

celebrate isn't the right word, but yeah . . .

our family marked the day, because it wouldn't have felt right to just let the kids go off to school like they did on the day it happened. they knew all week that they were in for something special. what we did was hire a limo, with driver and plush seats and bubbly in the little refrigerator . . . we brought music for the cd player, and we had arranged ahead of time to be sure that we could see as many of the people who had helped us all get through the crisis part as we could.

we went to the nicu, and the rehab floor, and our church, and to some friends' houses. we hooked up with the ski patroller who was first on the scene, and with the md who happened to be nearby when it happened. we had a great time, and finished with dinner at a fancy restaurant high above seattle, then drove in a snowstorm, of all things, complete with thunder and lightning, which never, ever happens in seattle.

it was magic of a very rare sort, and we're going to do it all again next year

ive managed to get thru 19 anniversaries w/o much emotion,,,but thursday marked the day i would have retired from the fire dept w/ 25 yrs of service,,,it blind sided me with all kinds of sadness...all the "what if"s crashed down and wrecked me...weird,,,but tequila is a nice diversion and i reckon i will feel better tomorrow...jeff aka teddy da bear