Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice for new wheelchair

advice for new wheelchair

My husband is looking to buy a new rigid wheelchair. He has a Quickie GPS titanium. He wants a rigid frame that is sporty. He really likes the Quickie XTR but was told that the new shock system they have on it can cause pressure sores. What kind of chair do you have and how do you like it? What chairs can you suggest? He wants to find a good chair that will last him a while. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

XTR

Is what I have. I hadn't heard about the shocks causing sores, I haven't had any... I would say the main problem is the amount of weight the shock adds.

No way is a suspension system going to cause sores.

XTR

ALL THE PEOPLE I WORK WITH, I TELL THEM IF THEY ARE GOING WITH QUICKIE TO GET THE XTR! I HAVE NOT HEARD OF THE SHOCK CAUSING ANY SORES. I THIK THE RIDE IS ALOT SMOOTHER AND THE SHOCK TAKES THE BLOW OFF THE BACK. JUST MY TWO CENT! GOOD LUCK WITH WHAT EVERY CHAIR YOU GO WITH. TRY TO RIDE IN THE NEW CHAIR BEFORE YOU BUY IT TO MAKE SURE YOU LIKE IT! BILLY FRYAR "KEEP ON ROLLIN"

Good advice Billy, riding in chair before you buy

I bought a TI lite X a couple of months ago and spent 2500 bucks and hate the chair and am now stuck with it. I wish I had just bought another Quickie IIhp at this point and saved a grand, live and learn.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I have a Hallmark made by new halls wheels. It is a custom fit, good looking and light.

jpw

Thanks

to all who responded. My husband was told by his physical therapist that the XTR can cause pressure sores. That of coarse scared us. Jpw, I have never heard of the chair you have. I will try looking it up after I finish here. We have searched online for any other chairs to try out and see how they are. It is just hard to know truly how good they are unless you have a good chance to try them. Anyone know about the Colours rigid frame chairs? That was one we hadn't heard of but saw on the internet. How about any other possibilities? I heard that invacare has some sporty rigid frames. Thanks for all your help. It is a big decision to get a new chair and make sure it is the right one.

Choosing good wheelchair is important but I think finding good wheelchair dealer is also important.
    I just got my second chair and a few of part has a different size than what I expected.
    Wheelchair dealer usually measures main part of our body and decide the wheelchair but not detail parts. My dealer did too. I changed 3 parts after I received his order forms. But it seems he didn't change my last 3 changes.

Since these are pretty small parts and I decided not to bothering him anymore.
    But my point is some wheelchair dealers don't care our detail requests as long as they get money from INSURANCE company.

I asked a bunch of other XTR users last night about the sore problem, none of them ( 3 ) had had any problems. And as Billy said it is better for your back...

Ti Lite TRA

I just switched from an Invacare A-4 to a Ti TRA. It's made a world of difference for me. I got the Spox Spinergy wheels, Frog Leg casters and a Flo-Fit low profile gel seat cushion. I needed more back support than the standard Ti back offered, so went with a Jay2 Low. Being a C5-6 Quad I really felt the need for the lightest chair I could get to push around. I actually wanted and looked at the Hallmark chairs which are slightly lighter than the Ti, if you can believe that, but they were completely custom with little if any adjustments. Excellent chair, if you've been in one for quite sometime and know exactly what kinda' setup you want/need, but I needed alittle more adjustablility for the moment. The Ti-TRA is extremely light AND adjustable. I'm extremely pleased with it. One thing to keep in mind though, these chairs are quite low and therefore most transfers are all up hill.

One other thing, I would highly recommend a chair demo/fitting if you can get one. I was fortunate enough to have been able to demo a few chairs and spend a couple of days going through the fitting processes before going with the Ti TRA. You can't beat a good fitting and demo to see what's really going to work for you. You want to make sure you get the right chair for yourself, cuz it's going to be with you for awhile.

Ti's site: www.tisport.net

"Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created
    them."