Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What time do people get up in the mornings and how long does it take you to get ready?

OH WOW

You saw Drew live? Oh man that had to be awesome!!! Although he can be quite raunchy, I find him hilarious. If you ever have time, e-mail me and tell me about it!!!! Lshall82978@yahoo.com. Thanks!

Actually!

Originally posted by LindsayS:

Say hi to Drew Carey for me while you're in Cleveland
    Before my SCI I went to Kent State and worked in Student Life. We had Drew come do a stand up show. I got to hang out with him after the show, it was a really cool time!

Is working at Home BAD???

I know people work from home as well, good for them. I just don't think SCI should equal staying at home for the rest of your life. QUOTE]

I am a bit confused by your comment LindseyS. I have always worked post SCI and just in the last 4 months from home. Age, other disabilities and not the best of health make it a "great option". I probably come in contact with and communicate with more people from my home office than I would in a "conventional" work environment. I do not "Hide" at home nor have I withdrawn from society. I use my energy and efforts to fit my life goals. That includes my kids, their schools, soccer, little league, day care, PTA, Moderator here in my spare time, and a 9-5, Monday thru Friday job.

I believe in the work ethic, gave up a life time pension and full disability to work. There are just a lot more ways to work, go to school, volunteer, etc. than the traditional way. I say, if your life is rich, challenging and you continue to grow as a person, do what ever you can, how ever you can!

Cheesecake...

What I said came out wrong. What I meant was working at home is all good, fine, and what not. What I mean when I said SCI should be used as an excuse to stay at home the rest of your life, I was referring to those who make no effort to move on with their life and try to adapt. They just stay at home and don't do anything at all productive.

In your case you sound like you have a good setup Kudos for all of the great work you are doing!

OOPS!

Should NOT be used as an excuse. TYPO!

BNL

Let me take this back to your original inquiry which is about organization. The things that can be set up and out the night before or early in the week, are completed early. This means clothes decisions for myself or the kids. Lunches are all done in advance...except PB&J because they get soggy. I hate early morning glitches and errands so the car always has a full tank etc.
    I try to make the evenings smoother which in turn helps the mornings by preplanning the meals and sometimes precooking on the weekend. This frees up alot of time and allows more to be spent with the family and to be less frantic.

Now as before the injury, I shower the night before as a general rule. This also picks up the morning pace. Sometimes it just plain doesnt work. What I hate the most is that I am a very spontanous person and that has had to be shelved a bit for time efficiency. Oh, another tip is blouses that are dry cleaned I have them button all but the top two buttons. I have worked out a way to slip the shirts on and only have two buttons left. I have very little ROM and function of my right arm and full use in my left. Becoming left handed has been difficult and is what slows me down BIG time.

Hope these tips help! I still build in 15 minutes of quiet time for myself. I hate rushing!

6.15 to 6.45 when working but now midday cause of depression etc
    did bowel stuff every second night

you guys must be sick of my negative postings

barenakedlady

geez - you were born after my accident even happened let alone someone like Whiterabbit

no wonder I'm depressed

Lindsay,

I have asked this forum previously what percentage of people with SCI work full or part time. I know the employment rates differ depending on the level of injury, with many more paras working than quads (I think the numbers I were given were 40% for paras and less than 20% for quads employed full time). I wondered why the numbers were so low, and here are the reasons listed:

1. lack of accessible transportation
    2. lack of accessible workplaces
    3. lack of skills needed in current industry/lack of rehab retraining
    4. discrimination/lack of understanding of disabilities from employers

I think #1 and #2 are the most difficult to overcome and aren't the fault of the unemployed. #3 is a little more problematic because we are all responsible for acquiring skills required in today's workplace, even if it isn't something that you are passionate about doing. #4 is not something I've directly experienced and can't comment about. I am not saying it isn't valid, but I don't know how you could measure such a thing.

I've worked since I was 16 --I was paralyzed at 13-- and have held a wide variety of jobs, from secretary, computer programmer, systems engineer, technical writer, analytical chemist, and translator. In other words, whatever paid the bills the best. But I am a T11 para with my own vehicle, advanced degree (but I paid my own way through college and grad school), living in an area with a great job market, and hot skills. If I stayed in my hometown, I don't know if I'd have such a great job or nearly as many skills. And there certainly still isn't any accessible public transportation in my little town in New England.

you're a very talented versatile person - if you're not, it's going to be tough - I think all 4 things are a problem plus motivation/ self esteem and illness