Thread: Spanish Company Unveils Special Vehicle for Handicapped

Spanish Company Unveils Special Vehicle for Handicapped

Spanish Company Unveils Special Vehicle for Handicapped
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story Filed: Thursday, May 23, 2002 10:24 PM EST

MADRID, May 23, 2002 (Xinhua via COMTEX) -- A Spanish company, on Thursday, displayed the world's first vehicle designed especially for handicapped people who use wheel-chairs, at the International Automobile Hall of Madrid.

The company, Vexel Automocion, invested 7.1 million U.S. dollars in developing the 2.5-meter-long vehicle equipped with a 0 .5-liter diesel engine.

The company introduced two versions of the vehicle with different power: one does not need a driver's license as it has a 45-kilometer-per-hour speed limit, and the second with a top speed of 75 kilometers-per-hour requires a 75 cc motorcycle driver's license.

Access to the vehicle is through its back via an automatic ramp, and it can be driven from a wheel-chair, and is the first vehicle with this trait in the world.

The new vehicle can also be leased for temporarily incapacitated people.
    The auto will cost nearly 10,200 dollars, depending on the version.

Copyright 2002 XINHUA NEWS AGENCY.
    Copyright © 2002, Xinhua News Agency, all rights reserved.

Last edited by George78; 09-17-2006 at 09:57 AM.

I saw this exact car at the disabilities Expo. It's a one seater. Really all it is for is driving. No trunk, no passenger seat... just a wheel in a dome

I'd love one of these. Sadly, I'd probably get crushed by a logging truck or something. It'd be a really convenient way to travel relatively short distances though.

Anyone know if it's possible to get one in the U.S.?
    Last edited by Saorsa; 09-17-2006 at 04:10 PM.
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Id take one...

This is the listing for a USA distributor. Not sure how they would meet the US DOT crash and emission standards, esp. in CA:

MICRO CAR NORTH AMERICA
    P.O. Box 389 -
    Centreville, MD 21617
    Telephone: 443-262-9869
    Email: eastbay@goeaston.net

(KLD)

Hi all,
    Does anyone had the chance to drive that ?..
    I wrote to the 3 dealers, they never replied..
    Thanks
    George

Hi, George.

I called a dealer last year and spoke with them at length about the vehicles. They are only allowed in urban areas (35mph and under) and cost about $20k. They will ship them and assist somewhat with the learning curve for driving and comfort/customization. You must already have a license.
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Quote Originally Posted by Saorsa
    Hi, George.

I called a dealer last year and spoke with them at length about the vehicles. They are only allowed in urban areas (35mph and under) and cost about $20k. They will ship them and assist somewhat with the learning curve for driving and comfort/customization. You must already have a license.
    Hi Saorsa and many thanks for the update..
    Well, I'm from Belgium, and the Quovis, originally from Spain, strangely disappeared from Europe. In fact, it is for my best friend who's quad C5-C6, a few years ago he drove a chevy blazer, but the quad adaptation for driving was totally unsecure and now he's pretty much interested in buying a Quovis with the joystick option. I'd like to know if any quad had tryed to drive a Quovis..
    Besides, Saorsa, may be you have a good contact @ Quovis?..
    Many thanks
    George