Thread: folding chairs

folding chairs

I need some advice. I use a rigid chair as my primary chair, but I want to purchase a folding chair. If I like it enough, it could even become my primary. I need one for convenience, especially when going with others in their cars. Thru a gov't service I got a folding chair, and I absolutely HATE it. It's a Quickie. I don't even know the type. I do know that it's a lower model chair than the Quickie 2. Regardless. I really hate it, so I'm just going to suck it up and buy a folding one that I like.
    So, what's a good one to buy? Should I go for titanium? I just know that I need a hard back on it, and I like quite a bit of dump in the seat.
    What are you using, or what could you recommend?
    Thanks!

Does no one use a folding chair?!?

Hey kate

I was trying to do myself a favor and get a better folder than what I had used for the last 15 years and got a TIsport lite x chair a couple of months ago. Anyhow at this point I am sorry I just did not get another Quickie IIhp as the TI is really not working out. For one thing it is really not any lighter than the Quickie IIhp, I hate the sharp bend in the front end 85 degrees, my legs are always flopping off the footrest plus the top part of my legs lean against the frame leaving me with marks on my legs. There are a number of other things I don't like about the TI. It is suppose to be the best folder made, I would tend to disagree.

Anyhow, I am thinking about just getting another Quickie IIhp and selling this TI, I had really good luck with the IIhp over the years.

The other choices are the Invacare or the E&J neither of which I am very familiar with. Good luck.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Curtis --
    What is a Quickie IIhp? What does the hp part mean? I looked on a quickie website and couldn't find the the IIhp.
    On your ti or quickie, how tight in can the folding legs and footrests go? One top request for my folder is that it's as similar as possible to my rigid regarding footrests. I just hate folding one that make your feet really stick out far.
    Thanks

I use a Invacare MVP

I use an Invacare MVP, drive a Chevy S10 pickup with third door and work 9 to 10 hours a day.

Had a Invacare A4 rigid that the rehab folks got me (T10 complete). That was a waste of mine and the insurance companies money--why--I couldn't get the thing in any vehicle we tried out for me! It is my opinion that recently injured SCI people should never be given a rigid chair in the beginning--they just are as practical as folders.

Anyway, the only problem I have with the MVP is that it can tip over forward and rearward easily if you are not careful. I have gone of it both ways and I have to have someone help me back in it.

I have swing away front ends that are bent 90 degrees which helps alot in moving around in an office. They came as 70 or 80 degrees and I bent them to 90 degrees. Invacare said it wouldn't work and I said B*$% S^@# and went ahead and did--and it works GREAT Invacare!!

EM

Kate

I believe the HP stands for High Performance. About the best price I seem to come up with is at Care Catalog Services or at Allegro Medical Supply, for some reason Spinlife is real expensive on the Quickie IIhp.

I find it hard to Imagine anything more than the 85 degree bend on the front end, that is a lot of the problem with mine as my legs are going practically straight down and keep bouncing off the footrests, any suggestions anyone?, other than using a bungy cord to hold my legs down.

The other thing with this TI is that it creaks where the cross brace meets the frame stops, I can get rid of it temporarily by lubing the stops, but it comes back again after a few days. The other thing on this TI is that the Cross brace is made out of aluminum, except it is much thinner tubing than on the Quckie IIhp so I suspect within the next couple years I will end up with a broken cross brace on this TI. The Quickie IIhp's use to have this problem of breakage at the crossbrace, that is why they made the tubing thicker starting in 1995. The good thing on this TI is that it will be a much easier job changing the Crossbrace when it breaks due to the frame design.

I will say one thing good for the TI, in that the frame feels a little more solid than the IIhps, on the Quicke when I dropped it out the door of the truck to unfold it, it use to really rattle, sounded like a piece of junk, the Ti sounds a lot more solid when it hits the ground.

A lot of my problem may be in that I was so use to the Quickie IIhp after so many years of use and any change takes some getting use to. I think I will call TI about the problems I am having and see if they have any suggestions. It is very frusterating going down a bumpy sidewalk and have to keep stopping to put my legs back on the footrests. I have already tried putting rubber on the footrest which did nothing and adjusting the footrest length a couple of times. My next thought is to put velcro on the bottoms of my shoes and on the footrest, I would think that would work.

Anyhow, maybe see if you can test out a Invacare MVP, A Quickie IIhp and a TI and go from there, I guess everyone has different preferances.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

[This message was edited by Curtis on Jun 07, 2002 at 09:56 PM.]