Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paralyzed Washington Player Dies

Paralyzed Washington Player Dies

Paralyzed Washington Player Dies

Story Filed: Monday, May 06, 2002 2:10 PM EDT

SEATTLE (AP) -- Curtis Williams, paralyzed from the neck down while playing football for the University of Washington in October 2000, died Monday. He was 24.

Williams died at his brother's home in Fresno, Calif., Washington athletic department spokesman Jim Daves said.

Williams, who played safety, was injured in a helmet-to-helmet hit in a game against Stanford. He had spinal-cord surgery and was left with no voluntary muscle movement.

The Washington Huskies dedicated their victory over Purdue in the Rose Bowl in January 2001 to Williams, wearing his initials on their jerseys. Williams attended the game.

Williams returned to the school last month to watch the Huskies' annual spring game, his first trip back since the injury.

He was six classes short of earning his degree from Washington in American Ethnic Studies. He had hoped to take correspondence courses and complete the work in about a year.

"If the wind could blow my troubles away. I'd stand in front of a hurricane."

ofcourse stories like this go ignored in favor of the
    "im paralyzed and love it" stories.

DA, I've never seen one of those "I'm Paralyzed and Love It" stories. Could you direct me to one or are they all in your imagination?

martha

Very

Sad story. I hope the medical profession as well as the NCAA and other athletic organizations take notice of this tragedy.

DA (Chris),I think you need counseling and serious psychological help.

Onward and Upward!

Lucky Bastard! Died only two years in... We need to legalize euthanasia. Failing that, anytime a guy is brought in to an ER with a broken neck, Dr. should just say, "Sorry son. You have a SCI. We won't provide you with any care except pain medication. You'll pass away within 24 hours. Trust me, it's what you want because it's a shitty life!"

Chunky, not all of us want that.

martha take your butt to nm site, you will find a whole
    army of anti-cure lovers.

chris (chris) i think you need prozac. there is no
    shame if you bought yourself a crate full. the shame
    is not treatin your illness.

Originally posted by DA:

martha take your butt to nm site, you will find a whole
    army of anti-cure lovers.
    No need to. Most of us are already here. Muhahahaha

Please do not hate me but DA is right.I was in sales and every convention I went to had some disabled guy speak who climbed a mountain or was a paraolympic athlete.Never did some speaker say he suffers from chronic pain,financial difficulties or had a freind die.I was like most AB before my injury,i had no idea how paralyzed people had to suffer.I agree with Chris ,if I was brought to the hospital as a high level quad I would have wanted to been given the option of taking pain medicine until I died

A shitty life

~

Hey Chunky -- Maybe you should have chosen LooseStools as your username instead.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~