Thread: New inventions for wheelchair users ???

New inventions for wheelchair users ???

Is there anything you can think of not developed yet that would make your life easier while waiting for the cure? ANYTHING AT ALL?
    Claire

Affordable medical products

Gee, Affordable medical products would be a nice invention. Sorry but I don't spend my life waiting for a cure. Time is better spent living.

Suggestions

While we are waiting for the cure, I would like to see the following:

1. Device for people with limited hand function to use Therevac independently.

2. An external urinary catheter for women that is safe and really works.

3. A "touchless" type kit for inserting indwelling catheters (to save time and reduce training needed for learning sterile technique).

I am sure I could think of many more things, but these are my current top 3.

(KLD)

Invention for a standing wheel chair

I have been recently injured T-7 complete. My father is an inventor and made me a wheelchair that stands up and moves around the house. It is electronically powered and has helped me so much.

Sufajt@aol.com

I agree with you

Bruce, live life to the fullest now. I was talking to my nephew who may be involved with the iBOT chair through J and J. He is very familiar with the difficult life I lead and he may be in a unique position to provide input of needs, wants we all have. I should have broadened my question to include other aspects of our lives that would give us more fun, freedom and independence, ie. sex life, recreation, work, mobility. I would like to see a head and neck safeguard mechanism for those who drive from their wheelchairs. I transfer to the driver's seat now, but imagine one day I will drive from my chair. It really frightens me to have no head/neck protection while driving.
    Great ideas Susan and SCI nurse. Thanks. Any others???
    Claire

Couple of ideas

There's a young genius, here in CO, who recently invented an electronic glove that converts sign language to written text. He's won numerous national and international awards and will be attending CU, as a freshman in the fall. I am considering writing to him about a similar but different invention for quads whereby we could wear electronic gloves that would allow hand function. I know that about a year ago the FDA approved a similar device, NESS, but it failed to garner much attention or success. Hand function would completely eliminate by dependence on anyone.

Secondly, a clothing line for quads. Instead of tailoring all of my shirts with snaps and velcro instead of buttons and sewing hook loops on my socks or adding velcro to my shoes I would like to see an available line of professional clothing that I could manage independently.

The hand device is the big one though.

Onward and Upward!

. An external urinary catheter for women that is safe and really works
    THATS ALL I WANT...almost...also a hovercraft chair...ha ha

"Each moment in time we have it all, even when we think we don't."
    --Melody Beattie, writer and counselor