Thread: TYPE OF POW-CHAIR ??

TYPE OF POW-CHAIR ??

After 20+ yrs of c-4/5 quadhood, i'm thinking about getting a powerchair. Iused to be able to get around in optimum conditions carefully/slowly in my manual, but now it's very difficult. Moreso, common sense is now outweighing my psychological reluctancy to use a powerchair.
    ,,,,,I don't know much about P/C's, but have begun to research/get info on them. At the expo[nj], i was checking out the P/C's, specifically, the 'invacare' line and briefly spoke w/ a saleman. I took some literature and listen to the salesman but that's not good enough for me.

,,,,,Reading/talking to sales ppl are good, but I would greatly appreciate to hear from those who actually use the product, P/C's. Can you pllease reply accordingly;
    1- what your level is,,,,
    2- yrs post,,,,,
    3- yrs using a powerchair,,,,,
    4- how many/what name p/c have you had,,,,,
    5- do you currently use/have both a p/c and manual,,,,
    6- what kind of p/c do you currently have,,,,,,
    A-is it reliable/does it breakdown,,,,,
    B- what maintenance does it require,,,,,
    C-do you use it indoors and outdoors,,,,
    D-''how'' does it perform outdoors;
    1- on grass,,,,
    2- on dirt/gravel,,,,
    3- bumby uneven grass/dirt,,,,
    7- Additional/other comments,,,,,,

''I THANK AND APPRECIATE THE TIME THAT ANYONE TAKES TO RESPOND.''

[This message was edited by FREEJ on Apr 26, 2002 at 11:19 AM.]

ok

1- what your level is,,,,
    c4-c5 incomplete (supposed c6 motor)

2- yrs post,,,,,
    14 years

3- yrs using a powerchair,,,,,
    5 years

4- how many/what name p/c have you had,,,,,
    Quickie p-100 (had 2)
    Quickie p-350 currently

5- do you currently use/have both a p/c and manual,,,,
    Nop, only P/c

6- what kind of p/c do you currently have,,,,,,
    The kind thats electric???????????
    I have 3 separate speeds w/knob on each speed

A-is it reliable/does it breakdown,,,,,
    Yes it's reliable, I breakdown for a flat once in a while but they have solid tires.

B- what maintenance does it require,,,,,
    I rent mine and I ony go when tires loose their lines, whe i break the arm rest.... no particular maintenance.

C-do you use it indoors and outdoors,,,,
    Yup.

Good
    1- on grass,,,, Good
    2- on dirt/gravel,,,,as long as its not sand soft good
    3- bumby uneven grass/dirt,,,, good
    7- Additional/other comments,,,,,,
    I go out and do 4 5 miles in a day without a problem, up bridges, etc, dosen't take that much space mire that a manual (just a little) is open enough not to feel trapped.... what else can I say? Id be lost without it.

P.D. If u go to bars, it's no good.... u should get the one that elevates the seat

Me.

Well I'm a C 7/8, 9 months post. I have a Jazzy midwheel drive. It works good in allmost all conditions. I haven't used it enough to comment on repairs/ maintanence. My complaint with it is that it is bigger than the rear wheel drive ones.
    I hate using it, hopefully I can get strong enough to take my manual outside independently.

"Each moment in time we have it all, even when we think we don't."
    --Melody Beattie, writer and counselor

Wheelchair junkie

If you have not already reviewed this site, it is a great source of frank information about chairs, primarily power chairs:

www.wheelchairjunkie.com

(KLD)

''Maybe a wee bit more responses,,,,,,,''

First; thanx kld/emi/pollet for responding.

,,,,Perhaps there may be a few more ppl here besides emi/pol who have powchairs. ''I would really appreciate if any other p/c user's would reply,,,,thanx .''

1- what your level is,,,, C7
    2- yrs post,,,,, 13
    3- yrs using a powerchair,,,,, 10
    4- how many/what name p/c have you had,,,,, two chairs. Permobil and OmegaTrac
    5- do you currently use/have both a p/c and manual,,,, Yes
    6- what kind of p/c do you currently have,,,,,, OmegaTrac
    A-is it reliable/does it breakdown,,,,, Very reliable, never breaks down.
    B- what maintenance does it require,,,,, Cleaning
    C-do you use it indoors and outdoors,,,, In and out
    1- on grass,,,, Like an ATV
    2- on dirt/gravel,,,, Like an ATV
    3- bumby uneven grass/dirt,,,, Like an ATV
    7- Additional/other comments,,,,,, The Omegatrac is a wonderful chair. Nothing compaires to it on the market today.

I recently began using a P/C. Its an Invacare Xterra, midwheel drive, rugged, very maneuverable, and so far low on maintenance. It goes almost anywhere as far as terrain cover. It is good at climbing 4" curbs but is not designed for higher ones. I read wheelchairjunkie but find it is prejudiced toward certain brands and the more rugged outdoor models. Most of us need a chair that is good indoors and out. The Omegatrac is an impressive outdoor P/C but is far less maneuverable indoors. Price may be an issue (its about 30,000 vs 10,000) My house is not w/c accessible by design and I needed a chair that could make sharp turns through narrow doorways. I have been happy with the Xterra so far. I have a 3 degree tilt, a sling back, (they offer an Invacare back with more support but I found it unnecessary and bulky). It goes 7.5 mph but I dont need that much speed. It has 4-pole motors which may be more reliable than Gearless brushless, the G/B are quieter and may be more expensive if your insurance wont cover them. Also, the swing away controller that Invacare calls a quadlink may not be covered by insurance.

Thats all I can say for now

Joe B
    C6-7