Work from home

Does anyone out there know of any type
    of work that a quad like myself who has
    limited use of his hands can do

from home.
    I am thinking about possibly stuffing
    envelops or something along that line.

Mario,

It all depends on the type of skills and education you have. Many people (AB and DA) are working from home these days, which makes a job more accessible to folks in chairs. The vast majority of my work involves using the computer (writing reports, conducting research), the phone and my "all-in-one" printer/fax/copier/scanner. If there's a job out there you are interested in, see if it's possible to do it from home. The computer is a valuable tool. My home office is set up perfectly for my use -- I can easily reach binders, folders, books, etc. with no assistance. Is there anything in particular that you are interested in? Would you like to run your own business? Good luck to you.

Work at home scams

Be very careful about following through on any of the "work at home" scams that promise you will make $$$$ working at home with no skills. There are machines that stuff envelopes. Most of the scemes you see advertised require you to make a large investment of money to learn about the business, and end up not making any money at all.

What type of work did you do before your SCI? Are there skills you can transfer to a home business? It is impossible for your to go to a workplace initially and develop contacts and work skills? Often it is easier to start a home business after you have worked for a company in a similar position and made some contacts. Keep in mind that the socialization of a workplace is also a valuable part of going to work.

Go Mario

Whatever you decide,take clipper's advice and go for it,more power to you....

I'm very familiar with working from home, so hopefully some of what I have to say will help. First, definitely follow the advice you already got on scams. Never, ever pay someone for a job (or for information on how to get said job). That's the first rule of finding a telecommuting job. You want someone to pay you, right? If you were looking for a job outside your house you certainly wouldn't pay someone first, so it's no different with working from home.

It will take a while to find a job, and it's possible you won't find anything. As has already been said, it all depends on your skills and what you're qualified to do.

At one point, I got into recruiting, which seems to be really popular and translates well to working from home. But with recruiting, you have to have something of a salesman's attitude. If that's not you, or if you don't find it interesting, it's hard to be successful at it.

My best advice is to do your research as there are tons of resources available. A good one to start out with is the telecommuting section on www.about.com Then, of course, look through the listings posted on job boards like monster.com

Finally, don't forget about freelancing. Magazines need articles, companies outsource some projects, etc. etc. etc.

The only direct link to a possible job I can give you is www.peopledot.com This is a national recruiting firm, and they deal mostly with restaurant management and salespeople. They offer a legitimate job, paid by commission, and they will train you. All of their recruiters work from home and are supplied with a toll-free number for clients to call and an access code for phone calls (so the company pays for the long distance charges, not you). They have some requirements for the set up of a home office, and of course you have to go through an interview first, but they're a nice group of people and it's all legit. Take a look at their info and see if this is for you. Just don't tell 'em I sent ya! (Long story!!)

Jen
    (former telecommuting junkie who's given up and is looking for work outside the house)

Great advice Jen, thanks for posting it.

Forget them envelopes

You need to really be fast and agil to make a little profit out of it. My aunt who is A/B did this and ended up swearing never to do again, besides,as a quad, by the time u set up a big table with all the contents and start scooting along you'll be out of time... deadlines arrive to fast on them.

Me.

No problem, seneca! You know, I really wish there were more telecommuting jobs out there to be had. While it's becoming more popular and more companies are willing to go this route, I've found that it's easier to convince a company you already work for to let you telecommute than it is to just find a telecommuting job right off the bat. And there are so many scams out there-- the overwhelming majority of ads for these jobs are people who just want to make a buck off someone who is desperate to work from home.

The more education, experience and specified skills you have make a job search so much easier, too. I've found that it's extremely difficult to find a telecommuting job when you have "lower level" skills (secretarial work, data entry, etc.). If that's the type of work you're looking for, it might be easiest to start your own business by hiring yourself out.

Telecommuting is so very convenient if you're disabled, so it's a real shame there aren't more of these jobs out there.

Jen

ps- I nearly forgot: another fairly easy job you can get that will allow you to work from home involves being a "psychic" or doing phone sex. Personally, I wouldn't touch either one of those, but I say whatever floats your boat.