Thread: Questions for working Quads

Questions for working Quads

I'm new to this bulletin board and have found it very interesting and full of information. I'm just starting to look into the rehabilitation programs and was wondering what kind of jobs that quadriplegics are doing. I am a C 5/6 quad. What level of injury are you? What kind of schedule you have? Do you work full-time or part-time? Do you work at home or in an office? If you work out of your house, do you have an attendant with you? If you do, what kind of program was it that was able to provide that for you? How are you working your schedule around your personal hygiene schedule? Any information would be helpful!
    Thanks --
    Mia

Hi there. Hope this helps ...

- I'm C5/6 complete, 12 years post

- I work full-time from my home office (very convenient and much easier on my body) but I also have a desk at my company's office. I can access the office server from here, and I've set it up so I can reach things I need.

- My first career was in journalism -- editor at a newspaper. I worked nights (5 pm til 2 am), which fit my needs. In my second career, I generally start work in the late morning and go until I reach my daily hourly billing target. Working at home gives me great flexibility and allows me to take care of personal stuff at my own pace in the morning. If I'm feeling extra tired, I just sleep in. I adjust my schedule accordingly.

- No attendant needed. Once I'm up, I'm fully independent. The key is in designing your home/workspace so that you can use it and reach things.

Clipper, I read your profile and your job sounds FASCINATING.

C3/4, psychology researcher.

I work p/t at a rehab facility & p/t at my home PC, depending on what the task is. Flex time is crucial for me.

My aide helps me with my filing, retrieving, faxing, etc. I am independent on the computer once someone sets me up.

Thanks, Starlight. I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'm getting to work on some really cool projects -- all from the comfort (and warmth) of my home office. My entire family is involved in the aviation industry, so this is kind of like a passion for me. Like you, flex time is very important to me.

working quad

Hi fishy quad and friends,
    I'm a C=7 since 1967. Spent 1 year in Vietnam, came home and broke my neck celebrating ny safe homecoming. I was a telephone lineman so that ended in a hurry. I then decided to go to college and on to law school. The V.A. did a good job making me independent and the G.I bill paid most of my school tuition. I've worked as a lawyer since 1975. Working has kept me sane. If it weren't for that, i'd have went nuts I think. The worst part was private practice because after about 14 years (1981) I developed my 1st pressure sore that needed plastic surgery. Don't try to find medical insurance privately. I then got a job as a state public defender.Government jobs have group insurance plans and can't turn down pre-existing injuries. Since the 1st sore which kept me down 6-7 weeks I've always stuck with a government job, either public defender or prosecuting attorney which is what I do now. I regret to say it but I'm wearing out but it was worth it. I still drive and push my chair but my shoulders are about shot. I'm guessing you're a pretty new injury but I'd reccomend a job. It does wonders for you to make your own way and be with normal people. Good Luck to you. WR

I agree with whiterabbit

I'm not a quad, but I just wanted to comment on the fact that Government jobs can't exclude you from health insurance because of pre-existing conditions. wr is correct, but the same is also true of private employers. If they offer coverage to their employees, they cannot exclude you from the same coverage if you choose to participate in it. They can however, require a time period, up to two years in most states, where they won't cover any pre-existing conditions. Some employers have no pre-existing condition clause, and most will only exclude 6 months to a year.

Health insurance from a Gov't job is also good because of the large pool of employees. With insurance there is usually safety in large numbers because of your relative anonymity. I've worked with small companies in the past and my claims really stuck out like a sore thumb. That doesn't happen with government jobs or jobs with large firms.

There are some recent Social Security Law changes that could allow you to keep your Medi-caid(or is it Medi-care) during your 'pre-existing condition' waiting period.

Wow Whiterabbit

I was injured almost two years ago and i'm just finishing grade 12. I plan on going to law school after a couple of years of university and i'm glad i came across your post. I was just wondering if you could give me any advice or anything.

Thanks