Thread: Horse Riding

Horse Riding

I just have to share this with you.
    Heather got to go horse riding again today. It is her second time at the therapuetic riding center. The HUGE smile on her face was just priceless!! She enjoyed riding so much before that I just had to get her "back in the saddle again".
    The woman that has the center is a terrific lady. She took some pics of us today to put on her website. If they look o.k. I'll put the address up so you can see.

I was wondering if any of you that still ride put any type of extra padding on the saddle before you mount up?? Heather is a T-12 complete. We don't need this enjoyable experience to end up miserable because of a sore or something. Thanks for your input.

Laura, that sounds so wonderful for Heather! We'd love to see some pics if you can get 'em!

Just for the record, you all sound like one remarkable family; hats off to you, and all you're doing, and to Heather, too, for being one outstanding young lady!

Padding

I know a couple people who ride, and use a low profile Roho on the saddle. Just be sure it is applied securely (you can get them with straps that fit around the saddle. Contact Roho directly as you may want to get something custom made.

I'm c5/c6 and used to ride-
    what a truly wonderful experience.
    The place I rode at used a kind of soft fleecy sheep-skin-like device instead of a saddle.
    Maybe you should contact other programs and see what they use. I used to ride with "pal-o-mine"
    maybe they're still around somewhere. Sorry I don't have more contact info. Both they and I moved since then.

peaqce,
    alissa

Thanks for the input!! I'll be checking into the cushions or padding more.

Marmalady, Thanks so much for the wonderful compliment!! So many people ask us how we do it. I just tell them that she is the one that keeps us going. She has always been a go-getter and that hasn't changed one bit. There are days that her her stubborness really shows through and she can be a real bull!! But I think we all have those days!!

I put up another post with the link to the site for where she rides. I guess the pics aren't to bad.

Laura, I am a T11 and still ride regularly. I don't use any additional padding or straps, but I use an Aussie saddle because of the extra support and pommel. I have ridden with just an English huntseat saddle, but I have found as I got older that I really need the extra support of the Aussie.

I use 2 crops for leg cues (one in each hand), and train my rides to neck rein whenever possible. If I lose my balance, I just grab the pommel and try to hold onto the crops/reins.

Congrats on the riding program! It is a great thing to be able to get on a horse and ride like the wind through the woods. It makes every trouble just melt away for me.