Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need ideas to make chair more visable

Need ideas to make chair more visable

i know, like they aren't visable enough already!!

I copied this off the local BB and thought maybe I could get some more suggestions from here.

"I am looking for some ideas on how to safety-size my cousins power chair. He lives near a highway and needs to be more visable to traffic."

I suggested an orange bike flag, of some type of flashing light.

I knew that if I posted it here I could get some more ideas to send her way and I just might get something for my daughters chair as we live on a highway in the country.

Thanks for the help!!

My aunt wanted me to get those neon light strings that u can attach along the frame without it looking too weird but, I totally refused to go out "glowing in the dark"

Me.

I'm not trying to be silly but maybe a slow moving vehicle sign that she could put on it when she's out near the road. I would imagine you could get one at CT Farm & Country or Walsh's Hardware in Richland Center. I'd think with all the Amish in the area, most folks would be on the lookout for those triangles.

Ideas

Check out your local well-stocked bike shop. They have all sorts of reflectors and battery powered lights. We purchased reflectorized tape (designed to go around the bike tubes) for our chair, and also used it on our van ramp to make it more visable at night (after having more than one occasion of almost being run down in parking lots while on the van ramp).

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll be posting them tonight for her.

HEY WEEKENDER--
    You must live somewhere near us to actually know I am near R.C. I think CT Farm & Country is closed now though. I had thought about the slow moving vehicle sign but wasn't sure if that would be acceptable to some people.

After thinking about it a bit, I'm not so sure my idea was a good one. Maybe Heather wouldn't like one of those big triangles on her back. Of course maybe if her chair was JD green and yellow

I grew up near Madison and now live in MN. My favorite way to go between the two is on HWY 14 so R.C. is fairly well known to me. Very pretty country in your area. As to the places I mentioned, I did a search on Yahoo for farm supply stores.

I hope you can work something out to improve visibilty. I think the night issue isn't as hard to deal with as visibilty during the day.

The more lights the better!

I live in a rural area and travel on the side of the road three miles to work. I use 50-watt quartz headlights run off the chairs batteries and a strobe light on the rear. The strobe light is battery powered and can be obtained from most aircraft supply stores. They are used in airplane emergency kits. I also have a battery powered high intensity red flashing light on the rear that can be purchased in most bike shops. Anybody who can't see my chair now would have to be legally blind.

Hi Laura, I think it was somewhere near Princeton in northern New Jersey that I saw a wheelchair crossing sign. If there is a specific place or two where he crosses the highway you might want to talk to your county Highway Commissioner and see if he can put a couple up. I know where Richland Center is too. I grew up in Janesville.

Originally posted by weekender:

After thinking about it a bit, I'm not so sure my idea was a good one. Maybe Heather wouldn't like one of those big triangles on her back. Of course maybe if her chair was JD green and yellow
    You must mean like this chair!

He, he, he. That's it. Now, we need a stack with a little bouncy rain cap on it.

Can you get it with a narrow front end?