0 0%
  • bop him 1000 times

3 23.08%
  • let him go, you heard worse

6 46.15%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bopping dr young upside the head

bopping dr young upside the head

who all agree we should bop dr young for that puzzle?

One bop....

just for general principles....

and for destracting me that day.

and for making me suck on a pipe.

pass the pipe, i want another turn.

DA

Give me back that pipe...

Deep Down...

HE loves it when I command him around...

meany

After 3004 bops "upside" on the head, I apologize for imposing the pipe problem on the community. My graduate students roll their eyes when I present this question to the younger students. By the way, I must confess that my posting of the answer was the first time that I have flipped all the cards up. Any enterprising student would be able to completely impress me the first time by coming out with the "right" answers (the best answers that I am capable of). But, those are the trials and tribulations of a teacher.

By the way, I first encountered the pipe question when I was at Stanford University and there was a course on creative thinking. I even forget the teacher's name but I want to point out that I am not the creator of this teaching exercise although I take responsibility for the answers to the question. At that time, at Stanford, the correct answer was to pee into the pipe. However, over time, I have extended the question to grade answers by the quality of the responses.

I have asked this question around the country. In my experience, younger people come out with the answers faster. For example, some years ago, I presented this question to a group of high school students in Beaverton, OR and several students came up with the peeing in the pipe answer within 5 minutes. Medical students, on the other hand, seldom come out with any of the answers even after days of thinking about the problem. That is partially because medical students get their hands slapped for thinking outside of the box and are consistently rewarded for thinking within the box in school. College students are intermediate. Freshmen are more creative and they consistently become more and more stodgy as they become seniors.

This is the first time that I have presented this question to a general community. Dimitriy came up with the pee in the pipe immediately and this is indicative of his open mind. I am very pleased (DA, this is not an attempt to butter you up) by DA's response because he was thinking outside of the box when he suggested that he would take the knife and stab the dungeon master. Likewise, I loved Mary's response of exciting the resonance of ping pong balls with the wirehanger. The issue of feasibility should not be used as a sledgehammer to stop creativity.

Wise.

[This message was edited by Wise Young on Apr 10, 2002 at 07:15 AM.]

At least your puzzle has more than one object and a goal. I took a child psych class that had a section on how we learn, remember and create. Two of the "tests" were to, from memory, write down the letters that correspond to each of the numbers on a telephone and list all the possible uses for a brick. Yes, a brick like one used to build a house. Try and get past 20. The professor did not think outside the box for other things though. He insisted that we dream in black and white. I don't know about you guys but I dream in vivid living color most the time and sometimes in weird colors...

Funny thing you mention dreaming...

Lately I have been dreaming in Spanish....

Hey DA- he liked your solution....he LOVED my solution...

peace

dr young, i have 3 questions for you.

say the word silk 5 times. spell it. then say 5 times again. answer q.
    what does a cow drink?
    what do you put in a toaster?
    if a guy walking on the street is wearing all black, face painted black, dark sun glasses, black gloves, black hair, black shoes and black socks, street lights off, moon-less, cloudy no stars out....how did the car see him and miss running over him?