Thread: Anyone read a good book lately?

Anyone read a good book lately?

I love to read. I love to hear what others are reading and what they think about the book. Because of the suggestion of an online friend, I'm reading The Great Santini by Pat Conroy. Folks, I've never laughed so hard in my life! It's a brilliantly written book about the life of a marine colonel's family, especially the relationship between the father and son. I believe Robert Duvall played the lead role in the movie based on the book. I highly recommend this one to anyone who loves or needs to laugh.

What are y'all reading out there?

I absolutely devour books! I've got all kinds of suggestions, but I hope this doesn't turn out too long...

If you like science fiction, Tad Williams's Otherland series is fantastic. The books are long, and there are four out so far. The story is set in the future, surrounds a mystery and is mostly set in a virtual reality world which is online (ie, the 'net meets VR). Some of the concepts will blow you away as you try to wrap your mind around them.

I'm addicted to children's books because of author Roald Dahl (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach). He also wrote Fantastic Mr. Fox, Witches, Matilda and the BFG. All but two of those have been made into movies. I know he's written some adult books, but I haven't had a chance to read any yet.

Naturally, if you like Roald Dahl, you'll like JK Rowling (and vice-versa), the author of the Harry Potter series. The two of them are very similar. Think fantasy, outright silliness, extremely clever characters and underdog children saving the day.

I also just finished reading the Narnia Chronicles by C.S. Lewis. Remember The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe? I didn't read these when I was little, so I figured I'd read 'em now!

My ultimate guilty pleasure is the Left Behind series by LaHaye and Jenkins. This is the Christian book series about the end of the world. Absolutely fascinating page-turners. I'm not a Christian, but this is my favorite series of all time.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley will make you think-- it's definitely a classic that stands up over time.

I'm also a sucker for Anne Rice's vampire and witch series.

For new-age spirituality, one of the absolute best authors out there is Wayne W. Dyer. Try You'll See it When You Believe it.

And for wacky writing about wacky characters, go for Tom Robbins, hands down: Still Life with Woodpecker, Jitterbug Perfume, Another Roadside Attraction. He'll make you think, he'll disgust you, and some of his imagery will seem so strange yet so right at the same time.

Jen

I love reaing as well. I just read the Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. It's great!! I'll write more when I have more time...Any of Oprahs picks are good...

"Each moment in time we have it all, even when we think we don't."
    --Melody Beattie, writer and counselor

Emi and Jen

Emi, I read Poisonwood Bible last year and loved it. I still think about that story, family. Powerful book. I haven't read any of Oprah's other picks, but I'd like to hear what you liked best.

Jen, like you, I waited until adulthood to read the Narnia Chronicles. Classics. I'll read them all again one day. Do you ever do that?

Thanks for your input.

Stupid White Men by Michael Moore is a great book. Talks about how ass-backwards things are in the good ol US of A.

Buddhism, Plain and Simple by Steve Hagen is a good introduction to Buddhism.

Nelson Mandela's autobiography, Long Walk To Freedom is amazing.

I just started, Mad Cowboy, Plain Truth from The Cattle Rancher Who Won't Eat Meat, by Howard F. Lyman. I am seriously considering never eating meat again. If ya'll knew what livestock are fed, you would PUKE.

I also just started, Sacred Contracts, Awakening Your Divine Potential, by Caroline Myss. It is basically about discovering ones purpose through spiritual insight.

We should talk more about what we are reading/listening to.

... ...

books, books, books

in no particular order:

Horse Heaven by Jane Smiley (insanely good writer with a happy story to tell

Paula by Isabel Allende (another insanely good writer, but this story is a memoir as told to her paralyzed, unconscious daughter . . . still, there's a lot of happiness)

My Year of Meats by someone whose name I forget, but it's a wonderful, crazy, smart book

Pride and Prejudice. Of course.

Blinded by the Right by David Brock, though it's gonna piss you off, no matter what your politics are.

An American Childhood, by Annie Dillard

The Living, by Annie Dillard

All the mysteries (I think there are 6 or 7 by now) by Elizabeth George

That's enough for now. I make liberal use of books on tape from my library--I can do the boring housework, driving, yard stuff while somebody reads lovely language into my head, and it changes the world . . .

Thanks for asking!

Kate

Books.....

I miss books...the kind you read for fun, the kind that transport you bring you to places only meant for dreaming...

me, for now, its Brunner's Medical Surgical Nursing and the extremely narcoleptic Leadership and Nursing Care Management-oh and a little discourse on common sense philosophy...just to help me sleep.

I just pulled out my book list (excellent for keeping track of books you want to read so you won't forget!) and wrote down a bunch of suggestions from you guys-- thank you!

JLB- try Diet for a New America for even more reasons to become a vegetarian. I forgot about Michael Moore! I had to read one of his books for a college sociology course, and though I can't remember the name of it, I loved it. Along the same lines, there's Bill O'Reilly who wrote The O'Reilly Factor: The Good, the Bad, and the Completely Ridiculous in American Life. He's got a show (the O'Reilly Factor) on the Fox News channel, too, but I can't watch it because endless debate gives me a headache. And he's got another book out called The No-Spin Zone: Confrontations with the Powerful and Famous in America that I haven't read yet. I'm not as big into politics as I probably should be, but I like people who call BS when they see it.

Ooh, and you touched on music-- new thread, I say!

Marcomo- I know I'll definitely be re-reading all of my children's books if and when I have kids! But absolutely, I go back and re-read all of my books.

Two more things... check the bargain bins at bookstores. I picked up a beautiful hardcover edition of Barrie's Peter Pan and Wendy for a dollar!

Jean M. Auel is finally coming out with the next book in her Earth's Children (Clan of the Cave Bear) series on April 30. Can you tell I like series?

Jen

Mysteries are my weakness...

I've read almost all the Agatha Christie mysteries, esp. Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple. I love PD James, Ruth Rendell and Dick Francis ('cause I like horses too). But my favorite all-time series of mysteries has been Brother Cadfael by Ellis Peters. Great, short books set in a 12th century English monastary. Those of you into gardening/herbs and whodunits w/some Crusades period interest, will love these.

And speaking of children's books, most if not all those Newberry Award winners are great reading for adults too. I buy them for my children, but I can't wait to get into them myself!

More later.

My favourites

-Deep End of the Ocean by Jaqueline Mitchard (about a kidnapping and the families response)
    -La Prissionaire by Malika Oufkir (true story of a brave young woman who is jailed for 20 years along with her mother and siblings. Reminds me that my situation could always be worse.)
    -Critical Injuries- about a woman who gets an SCI- well written with the exception of some mistakes about SCI (that only we could find)
    -White Oleander- about a young girls journey thru the foster kids system. One of my absolute favourites.

"Each moment in time we have it all, even when we think we don't."
    --Melody Beattie, writer and counselor