Thread: Your experiences of rehabilitation

Your experiences of rehabilitation

Hi everyone! I'm a student nurse doing a presentation about SCI. Can anyone help me identify the "psychological, social and cultural factors" which affect rehabilitation? Thanks, Emilie

From the Desk of Mary, spinal nurse in the making:

Nice to meet you!!! I am also a student nurse, getting out in a few weeks... how about you?

Let me help you a bit here, OK???

Hey Guys!!!!!

I remember these papers!! Help her out and be nice for goodness sake!!! Emilie, post some specific questions and some of my GREAT AND SWEET FRIENDS WILL HELP YOU. OK? They have a variety of backgrounds and experience and injuries and some are caregivers and family members - you came to the right place.

If they don't find your thread I'll hunt around after clincals today and hound them out for you.

If you are like me your paper is due soon...oh yeah- so is mine- dammit.
    Also start reading some of the posts in the Life Forum, you will get lots from there.

More to come

Mary

Rehab

My rehab was almost 24 years ago, so my data might be stale, but I'll help in any way I can. Please feel free to e-mail me privately if you wish.

The subject of psychological issues in rehab came up about a month ago. I posted the question over at New Mobility. The response I received was pretty universal both from those injured long ago as I was and those recently injured.

The consensus was that psychological issues are largely ignored in rehabilitation. Rehabilitation programs tend to focus strictly on the physical aspects of recovery. Little or no psychological counseling or other services are provided as part of rehabilitation. As a result there are reports of a high incidence of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, often not manifesting until years after injury.

I think social and cultural factors come into play strictly as aspects of physical recovery. Occupational therapy for regaining employment for example. In rehab I learned how to get onto a bus and ride an escalator. These things were considered important. Cultural I guess. Again, though, my experience was that the rehabilitation process focused almost entirely on physical aspects accomplishments.

Hope this is of some help. - Joe

Specifics...

Specific quetions would be great....but:
    Psycologicaly- this is a rough time for most people, I had a psych appointment every week

Culturally- I know the rehab hospital became my whole world, and thus my comfort zone. The rec department took us out but it was a HUGE shock getting back into the 'real' world.

Socially- some of my best friends are the people I was in rehab with because we went thru such a huge change together. Not sure what else you want to know....

"Each moment in time we have it all, even when we think we don't."
    --Melody Beattie, writer and counselor

Psych in Rehab? What's that???

We (at TIRR) were offered NO psych counselling. I specifically asked for it for myself and my husband and was basically ignored. During his second incarceration at TIRR I had a little flair up with one of the nurses resulting in the social worker handing me a business card for a private psychologist and suggesting that I might give them a call. Psych during rehab consisted of a few repetitions during rounds of "this is your life -- get used to it".

martha

Okay

Emilie feel free to drop me an e-mail with your questions and I will try to drag something out of some of these guys. And one particular articulate YOUNG lady. (Not me.)

duramater40@yahoo.com

Mary

Doing research

There are tons of research based articles and books on this topic. While it may be helpful to get some input from this group for anecdotal additions to your presentation, this certainly would not qualify as a replacement for doing some basic and necessary library work. I would suggest that you go back to some of the older literature by Roberta Trieschmann, PhD (esp. her book "Psychological, Social and Vocational Aspects of Spinal Cord Injury", Demos Publishers) and some of the writing of George Hoemann, PhD. I would also encourage you to look at both the core curriculum for rehabilitation nursing (from ARN) and the core curriculum for SCI nursing (from AASCIN) to both get information on content and leads to other literature. Also check on an article by Audrey Nelson, RN, PhD that was published in SCI Nursing about 1992 that is a qualitative research study on the role of the nurse in facilitating psychologic and social aspects of rehabilitation with persons with SCI.

Part of giving a presentation in nursing school is learning how to do productive literature searches and reviews. Using the internet for input is not a replacement for learning this skill. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but that is the reality of being an educated person.

(KLD)

SCI nurse, thanks for the advice, Ill check out those references. I have already done some research on published literature, however, the unit I'm currently studying is entitled "listening to service users" and one of the main criteria of the presentation is to get service users perspectives and feed back what they feel are the key issues so that this can be related to the theory.