Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: General Hugh Shelton, former chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff has spinal injury

If the acute was like my short stay in the neuro ward so I could have a bunch of tests done over 3 days I can understand the problem, KLD. While the doctors are either residents in training from some top medical schools or they are permenantly assigned there and board certified. But having 2 19 year old male medics show up to do a cath and neither knew where to, well, aim, training for the medics and other bedside techs need longer schooling than is done at Ft Sam Houston and should be gender specific since they won't let women into combat anyway.

The RNs though were very good whether male or female and all 4 year degreed 1st LTs. But it was pretty obvious in 95 that they were not prepared for SCIs while they could handle most stroke patients. I had to talk them through everything from transfers to why bowel programs should be done sitting up. The room was for 4 and had 2 bathrooms and both were not accessible. For showers I'd have to go across the hall to a main showerroom and privacy was a major issue. I could understand if the place was full but neuro was very empty.

I know an ex-marine that was just beginning to walk when his HMO dumped him from rehab at NRH. He was documented with a 10% back disability on ETS and they slipped him into the DC VA for some outpatient work. But I did notice that most the wheelers over there were amputees. I went across one Sunday to see if they had a small PX. No luck unless you had a hospital ID.

Anyway, for outpatient stuff I would go there in a heartbeat for anything. But for a long stay? Ummmm Think I'd try using my private insurance first. Then again, maybe I need to go check out the new rehab area upstairs.

Doctors Monitor Gen. Shelton's Spine

.c The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) - Doctors are closely monitoring retired Army Gen. Henry H. Shelton, a former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, to determine whether he needs spinal cord surgery, a spokeswoman for Walter Reed Army Medical Center said Thursday.

Shelton, who initially was partially paralyzed when he fell off a ladder at his suburban Virginia home Saturday, remains in serious condition in the hospital's intensive care unit, Beverly Chidel said.

``We just don't know'' whether his injury will require surgery, she said, and Shelton probably will remain in the hospital through the weekend.

Shelton is having no difficulty breathing or speaking to his doctors and his wife, Carolyn, who is at his bedside, Chidel said.

``He is making some improvement in his right leg and both arms and hands where he was experiencing weakness,'' she said.

At a Pentagon briefing, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld hailed Shelton as ``a terrific person.''

Rumsfeld said he'd gotten reports that Shelton was in stable condition, and that he hoped the retired general was watching. ``We wish him well,'' the secretary said.

Shelton, 62, served 38 years in the Army, including four as the top military adviser to the president. He stepped down as Joint Chiefs chairman Oct. 1, shortly before the United States went to war in Afghanistan.

Shelton did two tours of duty in Vietnam and was a member of the Army's elite special forces. He was assistant division commander of operations for the 101st Airborne Division during the 1991 Persian Gulf War.

On the Net:

Walter Reed: http://www.wramc.amedd.army.mil/

I hope that he recovers. Wise.

Last I heard was he was out of the ICU and scheduled for surgery. I'll do some snooping around. Nope, still in the ICU and no more talk of surgery. From CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/03/28/she...all/index.html

[This message was edited by Sue Pendleton on Mar 29, 2002 at 11:53 AM.]

Shelton Starts Rehab for Spine Injury

Shelton Starts Rehab for Spine Injury

.c The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) - Retired Army Gen. Henry H. Shelton, a former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, will remain in the hospital for ``extensive rehabilitation'' from a spinal injury he received when he fell at his home on Saturday, Walter Reed Army Medical Center said Friday.

Doctors have been monitoring Shelton, 62, to determine whether his injury will require surgery. ``The timing of any future surgical procedure depends on the rate of his neurological progress,'' the hospital said.

Shelton, who was partially paralyzed after falling off a ladder at his suburban Virginia home, took a few steps with help on Wednesday, the hospital said. He has been moved from intensive care but remains in serious condition.

Shelton served 38 years in the Army, including four as the top military adviser to the president. He stepped down as Joint Chiefs chairman Oct. 1, shortly before the United States went to war in Afghanistan.

On the Net:

AP-NY-03-29-02 1325EST

Gen. Shelton to Have Back Surgery

.c The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) - Doctors will perform a procedure to widen the spinal column of retired Army Gen. Henry H. Shelton, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who was injured in a fall last month.

Lt. Col. James M. Ecklund, chief of the neurosurgery service at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, estimated Monday that the procedure, known as a ``multilevel laminectomy and fusion,'' would occur in two or three weeks. The timing will depend on Shelton's neurological progress, the hospital said.

During the procedure, doctors chip a section of bone to relieve pressure on the spinal cord and then stabilize the spine with a small rod.

``He actually walked more than 300 feet this morning for the first time,'' Ecklund said. ``He's doing better every day.''

Walter Reed announced last month that Shelton would remain hospitalized for ``extensive rehabilitation'' after falling off a ladder at his suburban Virginia home March 23. He was partially paralyzed in the accident.

Since then, has been able to walk with assistance, and the weakness in his right leg and both arms and hands has improved, the hospital said. He has been moved from intensive care, but is still in serious condition.

Shelton served 38 years in the Army, including four as the top military adviser to the president. He stepped down as Joint Chiefs chairman Oct. 1, shortly before the United States went to war in Afghanistan.

On the Net:

04/08/02 13:27 EDT

Any

New news concerning this guy?

Quad? Para? Neither?

Thanks.

Onward and Upward!