View Poll Results:

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. She's guilty. I hope she gets the death sentence.

9 25.71%
  • Yes. She's guilty. I hope she gets life imprisonment

15 42.86%
  • No. She's not guilty by reason of insanity. She belongs in a psychiatric hospital.

11 31.43%
  • 0 0%
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Andrea Yates found guilty. Do you agree?

Andrea Yates found guilty. Do you agree?

The jury deliberated for only 3'40" and surprised everyone [the media pundits] with their guilty verdict. What do you think?

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

I strongly agree with the decision.

If not, anyone could make up any religion they want, to support any crime they want, in order to believe they are not doing wrong, and be not guilty afterward. This was the most effective logic employed by the prosecution, IMO. The legal consultants for CNN totally ignored this reasoning and were very confident of a Not Guilty verdict. Not me. I really thought she would be found guilty. There are certain laws that are immutable; they certainly can't be muted by anyone's religion. And 'Thou shalt not murder' is one of them.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

I agree with the decision as well. The ultimate issue for the jurors to decide upon was not whether she was insane but did she know the difference between right and wrong at the time of the crime. If they felt she did know, they had no choice but to find her guilty, if they believed she didn't know they could have found her innocent by reason of insanity. I think it's interesting that she didn't start talking about Satan until the day after she was arrested.

Yates Found Guilty in Drowning Deaths

.c The Associated Press

HOUSTON (March 12) - Andrea Yates, the 37-year-old housewife who admitted she drowned her five children, was convicted of murder Tuesday by a jury that rejected her claim of insanity.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for Yates, who had pleaded innocent by reason of insanity. She also could be sentenced to life in prison.

The jury deliberated less than four hours before finding her guilty of two charges of capital murder. The charges cover the deaths of three of her children.

District Judge Belinda Hill, who read the verdict, said jurors would begin hearing testimony Wednesday in the punishment phase of the case.

Deliberations began at midday after prosecutors told the jury of eight women and four men that even though Yates is mentally ill, she knew drowning her children was wrong and is thus guilty of murder.

''That's the key,'' prosecutor Kaylynn Williford said. ''Andrea Yates knew right from wrong, and she made a choice on June 20 to kill her children deliberately and with deception.''

The defense argued that she suffered from postpartum depression so severe that she had lost her ability for rational thought.

''We can't permit objective logic to be imposed on the actions of Andrea Yates,'' defense attorney George Parnham said. ''She was so psychotic on June 20 that she absolutely believed what she was doing was the right thing to do.''

Parnham also told the jury in the closely watched case: ''This is an opportunity for this jury to make a determination about the status of women's mental health. Make no mistake, the world is watching.''

After deliberating about 2 1/4 hours, jurors passed a note to Hill asking for the definition of insanity. Thirty minutes later, jurors asked for a cassette player. Among items in evidence are audiotapes of Yates' confession and her 911 call to police the day of the drownings.

Last year, Yates called her five children into the bathroom one by one and drowned them in the tub, then called 911 to tell authorities what she had done. Police found 7-year-old Noah in the tub; the other children were under a wet sheet on a bed.

According to testimony, Yates was overwhelmed by the responsibilities of raising five children and believed she was a bad mother. She had suffered severe depression and had attempted suicide.

She is on trial for the deaths of Noah, 5-year-old John and 6-month-old Mary, though there were only two capital murder charges filed.

One count listed the killings of Noah and John as two victims killed during the commission of the same crime to qualify for capital punishment. The second count lists the death of Mary as a child under the age of 6.

By not listing all the children in a single count, prosecutors avoided the possibility that an acquittal could void all the charges. If necessary, they could file charges later in the deaths of the other two youngsters, Paul, 3, and Luke, 2.

Hoping to prove insanity, Yates' defense tried to convince the jury she could not tell right from wrong.

Expert witnesses disagreed on that point.

An expert for the defense told the jury that while Yates knew drowning her children was illegal, in her delusional mind she thought it was the only way to save her children from eternal damnation.

Prosecutors said Yates did not start referring to Satan until the day after her arrest. Williford argued Yates was so deliberate she covered the bodies as she went because the children still alive were old enough to escape from the house and get help. She also noted bruises the children suffered as they struggled with their mother.

AP-NY-03-12-02 1814EST

[This message was edited by seneca on Mar 12, 2002 at 07:12 PM.]

I agree but it's sad; I think they should have extended the sentence to her husband and doctors, also.

She deserved to be found guilty, and her husband should have been charged and convicted as an accessory.

Guilty yes, but

I agree with the jury completely, but not the
    death penalty, this women knows right from wrong
    but she is severely disturbed mentally.In a perfect world she would get about twenty five years in a mental hospital and then we should take another look at her mind. Mental disabilities are just like physical disbilities,
    only , not as obvious.

I AM A GENTLE MAN, I SAY TIE TWO WEIGHTS TO HER FEET, THROW OVER A BRIDGE AND GO ON A ABOUT OUR BUSS. I REALLY GET MAD WHEN I HERE OF GROWN PEOPLE HURTING LITTLE KIDS. MAN I GET REALLY PISSED OFF. MAKES ME JUST WANT TO PUNCH STUFF. I WAS ABUSED AS A CHILD AND ITS JUST NOT FAIR. I DIDNT EVEN HAVE A CHANCE NEITHER DID THOSE LITTLE BABYS. O WELL ROLLIN FAST BILLY37

The Verdict

Actually ,I was surprised at the verdict. Not that I don't agree with it because I do. I just don't have a lot of faith in our justice system.

The verdict I expected was not guilty. That she would be placed in an institution for six months for observation, then released. Probably would then qualify for a government program to finance her starting up a combination Day Care and Child Grooming service.

I swear that my new neighbor looks just like this Andrea Yates. She never looks you in the eye or talks with anyone. When she sends her kids off to school I feel like yelling at them to run for their lives

What I don't understand is why all the really strange things seem to happen in Houston?

Russ Byrd

?

do normal people drown there kids? yes she was and is insane all the more reason to take her out of society.

who is the basterdized lawyer who dreamed up the insanity plea?

agree

I agree with marmalady, in my opinion her husband helped her get preganent out of selfishness? any way he should share th responsibiliy!!! what did it for me was her saying that the only attention she got fro her husband was when she was sick and in the hospital. i belive that says alot, she was the solerecipitant of her dads attention till he died and she did not get her husbands, the kids did, she wanted them out of he way to get the attention, and religion was goin to be her sape goat. people who hurt kids piss me off, but ones who di and try to hide behind religion, i could pull the switch myself.