View Poll Results:

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Many still treat those with disabilities as less than equals

1 5.88%
  • Many feel that it's not worth the money for just a few customers.

9 52.94%
  • Many small businesses don't have the money for renovating their building (s).

1 5.88%
  • There's not enough education as to the needs of the disabled.

3 17.65%
  • all of the above

3 17.65%

Thread: In your opinion, why aren't more businesses access-friendly for those with disabilities?

In your opinion, why aren't more businesses access-friendly for those with disabilities?

In your opinion, why aren't more businesses access-friendly for those with disabilities?

[This message was edited by BirdeR on Mar 13, 2002 at 09:37 AM.]

Birde - Add another one - all of the above!

General cluelessness

I think most business owners who have friends or family members with disabilities tend to try to make their own businesses accessible. Too many people though have no contact with anyone with a serious disability and don't even think about it, much less take the effort and don't even know what access is.

There is also the perception that people with disabilities are all poor and on welfare, so have very little money to purchase anything at most businesses.

My son went to the dentist last spring, and hubbie and dentist had to carry him up the stairs from teh parking lot to his office; the dentist apologized, and said all the docs in the office building had been talking about ramping, but just never go around to it. Well, my son went back to him for more work, this past Monday, and lo and behold they had ramped!!

One small success!

here is just one "sad" example

In our community we have a Boys and Girls club. We live in a very small, tight knit community, and this club is the only thing available for the kids around here.

The club (which is national org.) says this:

"Young people need to know that someone cares about them. Boys & Girls Clubs offer that and more. Club programs and services promote and enhance the development of boys and girls by instilling a sense of competence, usefulness, belonging and influence.

Boys & Girls Clubs are a safe place to learn and grow -- all while having fun. It is truly The Positive Place For All Kids."

OK....with that said, our club has four entrances/exits...all complete with stairs, no ramps, nothing. It has two floors no access except for the stairs, bathrooms that are in no way access friendly.

Now I am sure you are saying...yeah but you live in a small community......WE DO.......BUT- we have 30 kids all with various levels of disability in the community.......with a school size of 300. 10% of the kids can't get in.

That's just the kids, we also have parents in the area that have disabilities. The club provides sports and various events that the kids are in, and the parents are invited (at least once a month) for a family night w/ the kids, or to come and watch the kids in the sports or whatever.

Jim is only one of the parents that can't be a part of the going's on.....IT"S SAD!!! It's more sad for the 30 kids that can't be a part of the fun.

I have talked to the local directors.....they suggested talking to the National level....I did, they suggested a local fund raiser, as their hands are tied.

SAD!

Greetings

It's because we are a minority.
    Only those AB's who interact with w/c users will have decent accessibility.
    Now don't get me wrong, but society can't or never will be totally accessible. That is simply too much to ask for.
    Just like the world will never have brail everywhere for the blind or CC everywhere for the deaf.
    To save frustration, if I go to a new restaurant or lounge with friends, I always call ahead to check for stairs etc.

Paul

I lot of it is our own fault

If every disabled person capable of doing so filed an ADA Title III violation every time you were denied access due to non accessibility there would be very few places left that could be made accessible that were not. I'm ashamed that it has taken me so long to start doing so. It's simple and easy to do, find out how here. THE ADAIt's time we stop complaining and start taking action. It doesn't take a lot of brains or time just a willingness to stick up for your rights.

Originally posted by KLD:

There is also the perception that people with disabilities are all poor and on welfare, so have very little money to purchase anything at most businesses.
    This is so true. More often than not, when I go into a retail store I'm completely ignored. No sales people running over to ask if I need help finding anything. When I go with someone else, they'll assist the person I'm with and continue to ignore me. I recently went shopping for my husbands birthday and was immediately taken to the sales racks as if I couldn't afford the regularly priced items. Many of the disabled that AB's are exposed to in public and through the media are beggars or homeless which may be why we're thought of as impoverished. A friend of mine told me about an experience he had at an airport, he stopped a suited white collar type to ask for directions but before he could, the guy dropped a couple of pennies into his lap and kept walking. I guess this, along with all the accessibility issues, is just par for the course at the bottom of the SES scale.

An idea I had a few weeks ago

Check out my post over in the Funding forum for an idea on raising money while enforcing the ADA.

-Steven