View Poll Results:

Voters
534. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use a power chair all the time.

184 34.46%
  • I use a power chair to be independent when outside.

83 15.54%
  • I never use a power chair.

240 44.94%
  • I would like to use a power chair but don't because of expense.

27 5.06%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: How many use power chairs?

C-5 incomplete SCI 14 yrs. post. Used electric chairs most of the time until after I dropped out of college and my houses floor was changed from deep pile carpet to wood. I used manual chairs when I was going to friends or family member's homes so I could get in. My electric now is a clothes rack unless I am going to Disney World.

Interesting, at the time Iposted that poll I wasn' even a year post. Now I'm nearly 4 years post and use my powerchair nearly all the time (except for visiting others homes). Although I prefer the way the manual chair looks, in my powerchair I can cook, take my daughter places, use public transit, etc. My only regret is bring so stubborn when I ordered my van because I insisted on driving from a powerseat so that I could use both chairs but now I don't drive at all because the transfer is too hard.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

Originally posted by Emi:
    My only regret is bring so stubborn when I ordered my van because I insisted on driving from a powerseat so that I could use both chairs but now I don't drive at all because the transfer is too hard.
    At your age and level of injury I reccomend working on the muscles you use to transfer with. Once your strong eneough it will become simple and will serve you well the rest of your life.

I'm just curious how many people here use power chairs.
    And does anyone else feel more disabled when they are in a power chair? Thats how I feel.

"Each moment in time we have it all, even when we think we don't."
    --Melody Beattie, writer and counselor
    I have one, that I barely use, I hate it. I use it when it's necesary, otherwise I wont.

*~*~Kaisha~*~*

I have both types of chairs, even though I'm a T-2. (Invacare TDX4 and A-4 Titanium) I suffered some serious trauma to both of my shoulders as a result of my motorcycle accident. I couldn't even push my manual chair down the rehab hallway while I was there.

Now that I'm stronger and can push my chair strongly, I still like to use the power chair at home. I can hold a drink, a kid, the phone etc, while in the powerchair. Its also narrower than my manual. I think a powerchair drastically improves the quality of life of any person with SCI.

Dave

Originally posted by Cris:

Originally posted by Emi: My only regret is bring so stubborn when I ordered my van because I insisted on driving from a powerseat so that I could use both chairs but now I don't drive at all because the transfer is too hard.
    At your age and level of injury I reccomend working on the muscles you use to transfer with. Once your strong eneough it will become simple and will serve you well the rest of your life.
    i agree w/ cris.
    i cant see ever using a power chair unless its the last resort, i dont care if it makes things easier. the manuel chair helps keep u strong and fit.
    i agree that i think of someone as more disabled, if they are in an electric wheelchair

Fuentes:

I was referring to EMI's latest post in this topic where:

My only regret is bring so stubborn when I ordered my van because I insisted on driving from a powerseat so that I could use both chairs but now I don't drive at all because the transfer is too hard.
    What I was referring to when I suggested working on the muscles used in transfers, probably her triceps, biceps and deltoids. Learning to do a transfer without a sliding board took a long time to learn and master and didn't get easy until I had worked those muscles on nautilus equipment.

It is just so much safer and more comfortable driving from van seat rather than your wheelchair. With a power seat base the transfer can always be done going "down" so once you have the muscles and confidence, with a little head bob, the transfer is quick and easy.

Since she will be doing it the rest of her life, the time spent mastering it will be well spent. Push versus power chair is a trade off of where do you want to spend your energy on. The logistics of moving or the activity itself; For example bowling, do you spend all the energy getting the ball to where you throw it or to just throwing it.

There is a perception that you are more disabled in a power chair than push chair. My power chair is an off road monster, my pushchair is a sleek Quickie with high-pressure tires. For me it was a pride or ego thing.

In my SCI experience I have always had push and power chairs. I have had 3 power chairs and 8 or 10 push chairs the current one weighing a little over 20 pounds. My 1st pushchair was a stainless steel monster from E&J that weighed 66 pounds.

After discharge form rehab I was 22 years old and could only push one or two houses from mine before I was exhausted and had to turn around and go back home. Each week I went a little further until I was doing several miles every day. Then I learned about heat but that is another story.

I used the power chair 10% of the time mostly for long distances on campus in the heat.

Now that I am 44 and living alone I use the power chair 80% of the time. Don't see how anyone who is a quadriplegic can take out the trash, bring in groceries, carry any liquids, go long distances, go through the grass or carry anything with confidence.

Life with a power chair can be simpler, safer and more productive and I would recommend using one before you blow your shoulders out.

Though it is very important to get a good cardio vascular workout. Gives you more stamina and higher energy level.

I am using power chair since 03 before that I used manual wheelchair for 28 yrs. I love my power chair as it is my only source of mobility outside. I uses public transit to commute, to go for grocery,shopping, school just abt anywhere. It just makes the whole mobility experience more convenient. I dont feel more disabled.