View Poll Results:

Voters
534. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use a power chair all the time.

184 34.46%
  • I use a power chair to be independent when outside.

83 15.54%
  • I never use a power chair.

240 44.94%
  • I would like to use a power chair but don't because of expense.

27 5.06%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How many use power chairs?

Powerchair

I'm very grateful that I was able to get a Powerchair.I have gained alot of
    Indepenance with this great mobility device called a powerchair.If my powerchair
    breaks down,i'm at a loss without it.Although I have a manual chair as backup,
    I can't propell manual chair without help of others,for which makes me feel helpless.

The poll results suggest strongly that about a third of the people on these forums use a power chair full-time and about half have a power chair that they use full- or part-time. This is close to the number of proportion of the general population that have cervical spinal cord injury. This is a substantial market of perhaps as many as 200,000 people in the spinal cord injury field alone.

Do any people here use some of the newer power-assisted chairs?

Wise.

Em-power-chair

I am a T3 and spend most of my time in the manual. I also live 15 miles from civiliazation so my hot rod (power chair) keeps me mobile outdoors without tearing up my shoulders. I can go 4 or 5 miles in the hills and not worry about getting bucked out, like I have so many times in the manual. It's liberating to just relax for an hour or so and still be on the move.

I'd like a power chair for cruising around downtown. The hills in NJ are just too much. They were worse in VT but I was a lot younger then. Maybe since I live only a mile from J&J headquarters I can wrangle a loaner iBot from them once in a while, lol.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Electric Legbag Emptier

Check out my new legbag emptier, visit http://superquads.com I beleive we all can help one another to become more independent, with knowledge, ambition an activity. Practice dependency on someone can hurt, but think positive and rehab your mind to overcome negative situations. This forum helps to, good luck.

Originally posted by StarlightAngel:

You might have asked, who has the option of choosing power vs. manual.
    If I didn't use a power chair, I'd never go anywhere.
    Ditto

(Nice to see you Ms Starlight )

I voted NEVER but I do take a scooter to the races. Lots of rolling!!

~*~*~Priscilla Katheryn

Bumping up... With nearly 300 votes, this poll suggests that about half of the people on this site either use or want to use power chairs.

On Power Chairs

Yes I have a power chair as well, although I haven't been in one very long. Anyone up for a chat, IM me on aim if you have it.. Thanks

Chrissy

For 12 years I used a manual chair and I always needed help, or you would see me huffing and puffing and probably looking very disabled. Because I have a T-3,4 injury I was told that I would be better off using a manual chair to keep my muscles working. I have since switched to a power chair because of a torn rotator cuff. It was one of the best decisions I made since my injury. I no longer need help, which feels great. I wish I had done it sooner. I think the entire community should stop being so judgemental. When will the message ever get out there that we are all different and doing the best we can.